• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Pain since starting HRT

Cindy Truheart

.*****WARNING: I'm talking about a sensitive issue because I got nowhere else to go at the moment!*****

I'm experiencing pain when I'm aroused. I thought it would go away, but it hasn't. Honestly, HRT has been absolutely wonderful for me in regards to getting rid of my libido for the most part. It's something I don't want, especially when things down there aren't as they should be. However, I can't avoid the subject completely and when it does happen, I'm experiencing pain. That didn't happen before. I currently don't have a medical professional to talk to about this. I get my prescriptions through Planned Parenthood currently and I haven't had a chance to find a doctor here in Denver yet. But its a concern for me as I thought it would have been a temporary thing and now I'm past 7 months and its still happening. Can anyone give me a clue?

• Forum Moderator

Hi Cindy, 

I moved this to the HRT forum.  I can't say I've experienced this but have read about it before, that pain when aroused is common, but not universal.  If you tuck frequently this may be the origin of the pain.  I did a quick search and found these responses that aren't conclusive in any manner that I can relate to. 

"My doctor said that's due to the lack of T and the presence of E."

"While under the influence of T, you will usually get 1 to many erections per night in addition to whatever you get in the day. Once starting HRT, the vast majority of those stop. What this means is that the erectile tissue will start to atrophy, which can cause pain when erections do occur."

I couldn't find a definitive reason and I don't have a good response other than to avoid getting aroused until you can get into see a doctor versed in transgender health.   I found these services in the Denver area.

http://www.denverhealth.org/for-patients-and-visitors/amenities-and-experience/lgbt-health-services/transgender-health-services

https://giccolorado.org/resources-2/doctors/

Jani

I get that pain too, and to make matters worse my dysphoria can be triggered by it. 

10 hours ago, Jani423 said:

Hi Cindy, 

I can't say I've experienced this but have read about it before, that pain when aroused is common, but not universal.  If you tuck frequently this may be the origin of the pain.  I did a quick search and found these responses that aren't conclusive in any manner that I can relate to. 

"My doctor said that's due to the lack of T and the presence of E."

"While under the influence of T, you will usually get 1 to many erections per night in addition to whatever you get in the day. Once starting HRT, the vast majority of those stop. What this means is that the erectile tissue will start to atrophy, which can cause pain when erections do occur."

I'm so sorry to hear that. :( 

I've also never had any pain like that, but I was losing, that ability, long before starting HRT, sure HRT has made it even worse. Long story but even then, I don't recall pain. I hope that gets better for you soon.......

• Admin

This may not be your experience, but I did start having intermittant erectile pain at around the 6 month mark (coincidentally with the onset of the nastiest OUCH factor for my boobs), but at 9 months I had one night time experience that began as a typical wet-dream and literally had me fall out of bed onto the floor the pain was so intense.  The dream that time involved someone sticking a knife in my crotch and attempting to castrate me without benefit of anesthetic.  From that point on, I had almost no erectile response, but in about 4 more months the actual nerves in the tip became much more sensitive in actually pleasant ways and several months later when the boob tenderness had subsided, joined forces with them for some very nice stimulation involving both chest and groin. That was interrupted for about a year after my GCS, but has pleasantly come back into the picture since then.  This is "Bad News" leading to "Great News" from my point of view.

I'm seeing something similar to that. The chest and groin (not necessarily the tip either) are stimulative, but my whole experience with intimacy is different as well.

1 hour ago, MarcieMarie12 said:

I'm seeing something similar to that. The chest and groin (not necessarily the tip either) are stimulative, but my whole experience with intimacy is different as well.

I've been on HRT for almost 10 months, and I haven't personally noticed my top or bottom being any different, so far. However, the mind changes during those times, very much so.......

2 minutes ago, MarcieMarie12 said:

It may just be more mental than physical for me....

That's kinda what I've been wondering. My wife thinks it's mostly mental, in her case. Who knows, maybe being on these meds for my chronic pain problems? I have a friend that told me that the antidepressants she takes affects how well some other stuff works for her. I've kinda been wondering since I'm on two different anti-depressants for the pain.

Thanks for those resources Jani. I need to find a lot of things for this area, that's for sure. But my company's division out here has a different insurance and I'm waiting to get the new card from them before I start making phone calls. I'm also waiting for the local support meeting so that I can talk with others and maybe get some suggestions. I've never been to an Endo, never had my hormone levels checked out so I really don't know where I'm at, I just know that it's working! *sigh* There is SO much to do and I start my new job Monday! I wanted 2 more weeks to get settled in, but I would have lost my insurance and seniority, I'd have been the same as a new hire! We didn't anticipate "altitude sickness", my wife is barely functioning on the thinner air up here. I'm okay, I just get short of breath occasionally. But after all the craziness of the move she is tapped out. She went to "rest" in bed two hours ago and she is STILL asleep! I can't bring myself to wake her up even though we desperately need to run some errands. Ah well. I guess I'll get there eventually!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jessica80

I to experience the same pain even to the point that I can get little tears in the skin it is very painful how ever reading the post about atrophy ;) and looking up the meaning of the word! If it is shrivelling up I am willing to let it slide no pain no gain ha ?

Jess