• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

NCTE ID Documents Center

VickySGV

• MaryEllen pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

I have to wonder why I would want to try and change my birth certificate, I can't get the gender marker changed anyway, so what's the point? Ugh. We need comprehensive federal laws to fix the mess between the states.

Guest ZombieDracula

This is a really helpful link! Thank you for sharing it. I learned what I need for name change in Vermont which I haven't been able to find easily elsewhere so thank you again!!

- ZD

• 8 months later...
On 7/2/2017 at 11:37 AM, Cindy Truheart said:

We need comprehensive federal laws to fix the mess between the states.

Federalist :P

This is one of the things that I have a lot of questions about, TBH. I was born in Arizona, and the wording required to change your birth certificate is very vague... i.e. "irrevocably committed to gender change." -what the heck- does this MEAN?!? :banghead: SRS isn't something that I'm burning to get done (for a number of reasons), although there are plenty of other things (HRT, bilateral orch, etc.) that are VERY high on my list that could be considered to fall into this category, but are completely dependent on the surgeon that signs the letter.

I have an idea of who to blame, but I don't want to bring politics into it. I just wish that there as one humane, common-sense, inclusive standard for ALL people, no matter what metric you choose to apply...

• Admin
1 hour ago, SandraG said:

but are completely dependent on the surgeon that signs the letter.

In my case, my doctor knew what was needed, but other doctors will actually be happy to have you make a letter for them to sign. Your local LGBT Community Center also will have someone to help with those letters and will help your doctor if you give permission for the doctor to do it.

• Forum Moderator

I received a wonderful certificate with a gold seal which looks almost like a diploma from my doctor after my surgery.  I guess it doesn't hurt to make it look official especially as it seems every state has it's own hurdles to make us jump.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I received multiple copies of a letter from my doctor after my surgery, in case I needed to mail them away.

Jani

• 1 month later...

I was told all you have to do is, get a letter from the doctor, certifying you had SRS. Courts post it for 10 days then alls good, that would help with SSN and DL

• Admin
8 hours ago, Lizzy said:

was told all you have to do is, get a letter from the doctor, certifying you had SRS. Courts post it for 10 days then alls good, that would help with SSN and D

Each state has its own procedures, and this in fact may be the one in North Carolina, but as a Californian it is not exactly how it is done here.  Be sure of who tells you and accept ONLY reliable information from licensed Lawyers or para-legally trained people.  Your local LGBT Community Center either has an Identity Resolution Clinic on a regular basis or has a referral to a legal office or clinic who will help you for a low fee, or possibly free, and even show you how to avoid court fees in appropriate cases.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:00 AM, VickySGV said:

Each state has its own procedures, and this in fact may be the one in North Carolina, but as a Californian it is not exactly how it is done here.  Be sure of who tells you and accept ONLY reliable information from licensed Lawyers or para-legally trained people.  Your local LGBT Community Center either has an Identity Resolution Clinic on a regular basis or has a referral to a legal office or clinic who will help you for a low fee, or possibly free, and even show you how to avoid court fees in appropriate cases.

In California it's easy if you have an attorney. SRS is not necessary just a viable HRT treatment plan. Getting the treatment plan was the most difficult because it needs to be very specific.

I am taking my documentation in this week. My Doc has already signed off and my attorney has finish the Three required copies for Court. Fees are waived. Then I'll schedule a hearing, done processing.

I have to renew my DL this month anyway, so I am hoping to have Michelle as my BD present to myself. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/18/2018 at 4:02 PM, SandraG said:

Federalist :P

This is one of the things that I have a lot of questions about, TBH. I was born in Arizona, and the wording required to change your birth certificate is very vague... i.e. "irrevocably committed to gender change." -what the heck- does this MEAN?!? :banghead: SRS isn't something that I'm burning to get done (for a number of reasons), although there are plenty of other things (HRT, bilateral orch, etc.) that are VERY high on my list that could be considered to fall into this category, but are completely dependent on the surgeon that signs the letter.

The link posted at the top gets you to the info for your state.  Florida accepts the WPATH guidelines for the US Passport gender/name change, which does NOT require SRS to be completed or even started.  Just a "viable path" to gender change, which may or may not include SRS.  There's language that does need to be included in the letter that you need from an appropriate medical person (endrocrinologist, therapist, surgeon, whatever) and the letter must be on letterhead with specific information for the person doing the letter.  Listed out nicely.  Hope it helps.

I haven't decided when to submit a name/gender change.  Guess I'll see how HRT goes, then decide.

• 5 months later...

I guess I got lucky since I'm from Washington I just had to have my name change papers and a form filled out for gender change. Then to do my ID in Missouri I just needed my name change papers and my birth certificate. 

• Forum Moderator
On 4/27/2017 at 3:26 PM, VickySGV said:

This is a very good resource for U.S. folks on name and gender change issues.

http://www.transequality.org/documents

I'm sure glad this thread got bumped today.  This URL is an extremely valuable resource for transitioning US residents.  It's nice to know I'll have no issue, whatsoever, changing my name or gender on my birth certificate and drivers license here in Washington State.  Thanks @VickySGV for the info and @Jordy for the thread bump.

Susan R?

• Admin
1 hour ago, Susan R said:

I'm sure glad this thread got bumped today.  

This post is actually "pinned" in this Forum because it is the most recent and  most authoritative to date.  We do this with important posts and hope every body will open each forum and check the pinned posts in them.  Let the Mods or Admins know if you see other stuff that you think should be pinned, or stuff that is oldie moldy and no longer good stuff.

• Forum Moderator
Just now, VickySGV said:

This post is actually "pinned" in this Forum

VIcky, is there one place to find ALL of these pinned posts?

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Susan R said:

is there one place to find ALL of these pinned posts?

There is no single spot for ALL of them since they are specific to the content of the forums they are pinned to and would be confusing or misleading outside of the Forum setting.  If a post has been pinned, it is at the top of the Forum it relates to and does not age down the list as others do.  Open each Forum or sub Forum and they will have a green dot with a map tack in the middle and be the first post or posts at the top.  I found them an interesting way to visit all the forums when I first got here 8 years ago.

• Forum Moderator

I think it would be great to have a "Best Of" for all the pinned threads in its own section.  They're all pinned for a reason....they're all important, critical, or newsworthy.  The threads in that section would simply be aliases or shortcuts to the original still in their original threads.  I've seen this on many sites and it's very handy...especially for newbies like myself.

my 2¢,

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator
9 hours ago, Susan R said:

It's nice to know I'll have no issue, whatsoever, changing my name or gender on my birth certificate and drivers license here in Washington State.

It's such a blessing to live here in WA Susan, really the whole west coast is awesome for such things.

I feel for our sisters and brothers born in OH for example, that have no ability to amend their birth cert currently (maybe that will change ?).

Hugs

C -

• 2 weeks later...

I got absolutely no grief getting my BC from Utah!

Name and gender... I have my amended Certificate. All it took was Court Ordered name change, $25 and a self address envelope!

Says my name is Michelle and I'm female. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 117 Guests (See full list)

• Jet McCartney
    • April Marie
    • EasyE
    • Ivy
    • Maisy
    • MaryEllen
    • Adrianna Danielle