• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Compromised

Guest notsure2015

Guest notsure2015

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on coming out to family? After 7-8 years of off on and cross dressing in secret, I think someone may have found out my secret. With all the excitement of graduating, getting a good job, and moving out of my parent house within a week and in the excitement I have been sloppy. Ive been purchasing new outfits, and not hiding them very well. I've been misplacing clothing, leaving them under my blankets, and noticed some articles of clothing with girly colors sticking out of my dresser. I've been getting ready for my move and have some of my clothes (along with some women's clothes) in bags ready to move. With all the work I've been doing I had asked for some help with my wash (working two jobs 7 days a week leaves little time for other things) and left a bag of dirty clothes next to a bag of clothes for my move that had some regular and some of my women's clothes hidden inside. After coming home from work I found that my mom who was helping me had looked through the wrong bag and I could see my hot pink bra strap hanging out of the bag. I felt sick just wondering if it fell out with out her noticing or if she went though and found everything. She hasn't said a word to me yet and I'm too scared to talk about it. I'm afraid that she will eventually ask me about it and I'll have to tell her the whole story. I'm 100% sure she won't care and be ok with my choices, but again I feel shame and like I failed as a man. I think I may be kind of relieved this happened because now I can talk to someone about it and I won't have to hide anymore, I don't have to under dress completely in secret, I can order clothes from other stores without fear of getting caught,  and hopefully finding out who I am sooner. 

• Admin

Mom may have two thoughts on this, neither one 100% on the mark.

The most obvious would be that you have a girlfriend that will be living with you in your new digs and may be taking up your time there at home too. 

The second one is that you are CD which you say you are in your profile, and which is the truth. Beyond this one though is she may carry it to you being a candidate for full time transitioning.  

In any of these cases there is the possibility of hearing "It's your life, but wait until you are out of here to do "it".  The other possibility is that she would like to know what is actually going on before making a judgment on any one.  This is best case scenario really.  You may find out that your gender issues have been an "elephant in the room" for longer than you may imagine and you are the one who has not seen it.  As I see it, it was going to happen that your family finds out, it was just going to happen and is not a matter of "being compromised" just a matter of being, period. 

Do not lie about who the clothing belongs to, but do not make it into a big elephant when it was a small one.  Talk to her would be my bottom line recommendation.  Be ready to tell her who you are, but do not overload her in the first round.

Guest AshleighP

Good advice, "don't lie about who the clothing belongs to" . That will only postpone the inevitable conversation. Sometimes the little "accidents" are the best way to get a beneficial conversation going. 

Be true to yourself and never lie to your mom! ;-)). She knows you pretty well I'm sure and may have already figured things out on her own.

Guest notsure2015

Thank you for your advice again, as always everyone's been great on here and I'm glad I have a community who's been in my situation and can help me make the right decisions. Its been a few days since my post and I still haven't had a conversation with my mom and not has she mentioned anything to me. I think she might be waiting for me to bring it up but I'm so nervous. Even though I know my mom will be ok with me being who I am, I'm not sure I'm ready to talk about it because I'm not sure of who I am my self. I do  identify as a cross dresser at the moment but I feel there may be more to this and that's what I'm scared of. I think it would be easier to talk about it if I knew what's going on with myself. I do want to talk to a gender therapist but I think I'm afraid to do that because of what I may find out. I've been trying for so long to play the hand I was dealt and hide my secret, but I find every day is harder than the last. I know I'm not normal and that it's ok to do what I do, but i guess I'm still struggling with acceptance. I will do a lot of thinking this holiday weekend and I'm going to try to work up the courage to talk to my mom. I don't want to lie about the clothing or hide anymore, at least at home. Thanks again, your help means a lot to me. 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Eve Caillard

Hey, notsure2015,

Do let us know how you get on?

I discovered I was a cross-dresser in 2012 (a bit of a personal drama). I decided to come out to my wife of 25 years straight away. It was hard to do, but I have no regrets going down that path. She does not accept it, but agrees to 'endure' it.

My personal belief from that is that it is best to be up front. You never know, your mum may already know and will support you!

Good luck!

Eve

• 4 weeks later...
Guest notsure2015

it's been awhile since my last update and I'm not sure really where to start. I am having a hard time really putting my thoughts together. I was supposed to come out to my mom recently, I wanted to tell her that I am a cross dresser but may possibly be more than that. I've been having a lot of trouble writing to try and explain how I feel but it just won't come out. During that time I've had received some bad news, my mom was diagnosed with cancer again.  I want to say something but I feel like I can't in a tough time like this. I'm afraid it could put a big stress on the whole situation. I'm afraid I might lose my mom and I'm just super stressed out not being able to say how I feel. Ive never felt so lost, I just don't know how to move forward from here. 

• Admin

I would let the subject lie for the moment, at least until you have more information about your mom's prognosis.  Once you have a better picture of the situation, you can decide if and when to sit down with her.  You could always preface it by telling her you want her to know all of you, rather than just the parts you've chosen to share.  This would be an especially good reason if things turn out to be serious for her, but would work either way.

I'm sorry to hear about her diagnosis. :friends:

• Forum Moderator

Sorry to hear about your mom.  Perhaps it would be best to wait tell her but it may also be the best time to show your love and trust with a conversation about your feelings.  Openness and honesty can give both of you a closeness that may otherwise be lost.  I can't say what is the proper course of action.  You certainly know your family better than i do.

Whatever course you take, please know your not alone.  I remember facing similar situations, as have many of us here.

Hugs,

Charlize

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 114 Guests (See full list)

• KathyLauren
    • Miss Cormac
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Melissa_J
    Newest Member
    Melissa_J

1. Amyjay
      Amyjay
      (58 years old)
    2. bettyjean
      bettyjean
    3. Breanna
      Breanna
      (52 years old)
    4. Emily Ayla
      Emily Ayla
    5. JET182
      JET182
    • Willow
      Good Friday Morning    I will be spending a good portion of my day at church today.  I don’t know how any of my family would have been with me.  They all passed before I figured myself out.  I often think my mother and sister may have figured it out before I did but maybe it was just my depression that they saw.  I don’t know and never will.  My grandfather Young unconditionally loved me but he passed when I was 9.   Same with my wife’s parents, both gone before.  We’ve never had the greatest relationship with my wife’s brother but we do see them occasionally.  They words and actions aren’t always in sink when it comes to me.   Sour kraut or boil cabbage were never big even with my parents so that was something we were never expected to eat.  Nor was anything with mustard.  My mother hated mustard and it turns my stomach. My wife tried to sneak it into things early in our marriage but I could always tell.  She stopped after a while.   well I wave to go get ready to go to church.  I have a committee meeting at 10 and then we have a Good Friday Service at noon.   Willow
    • Mmindy
      Good morning everyone,   @KymmieLI hope you're misreading your bosses communications. As you say keep plugging a long. Don't give them signs that you're slow quitting, just to collect unemployment.   I have a few things to do business wise, and will be driving to the St. Louis, MO area for two family gatherings.   Have a great day,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
    • KymmieL
      Good morning everyone, TGIFF   It seems like I am the one keeping or shop from being the best. According to the boss. I don't know if my days are numbered or not. But anymore I am waiting for the axe to fall. Time will tell.   I keep plugging a long.   Kymmie
    • KymmieL
      In the warmer weather, Mine is hitting the road on the bike. Just me, the bike, and the road. Other is it music or working on one of my many projects.   Kymmie
    • LC
      That is wonderful. Congratulations!
    • Heather Shay
      What is relaxation to you? Nature? Movie? Reading? Cuddling with a pet? Music?
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Having just a normal emotional day.
    • Heather Shay
      AMUSEMENT The feeling when you encounter something silly, ironic, witty, or absurd, which makes you laugh. You have the urge to be playful and share the joke with others. Similar words: Mirth Amusement is the emotional reaction to humor. This can be something that is intended to be humorous, like when someone tells a good joke or when a friend dresses up in a ridiculous costume. But it can also be something that you find funny that was not intended to be humorous, like when you read a sign with a spelling error that turns it into an ironic pun. For millennia, philosophers and scholars have been attempting to explain what exactly it is that makes something funny. This has led to several different theories. Nowadays, the most widely accepted one is the Incongruity Theory, which states that something is amusing if it violates our standards of how things are supposed to be. For example, Charlie Chaplin-style slapstick is funny because it violates our norms of competence and proper conduct, while Monty Python-style absurdity is funny because it violates reason and logic. However, not every standard or norm violation is necessarily funny. Violations can also evoke confusion, indignation, or shock. An important condition for amusement is that there is a certain psychological distance to the violation. One of the ways to achieve this is captured by the statement ‘comedy is tragedy plus time’. A dreadful mistake today may become a funny story a year from now. But it can also be distant in other ways, for instance, because it happened to someone you do not know, or because it happens in fiction instead of in real life. Amusement also needs a safe and relaxed environment: people who are relaxed and among friends are much more likely to feel amused by something. A violation and sufficient psychological distance are the basic ingredients for amusement, but what any one person find funny will depend on their taste and sense of humor. There are dozens of ‘humor genres’, such as observational comedy, deadpan, toilet humor, and black comedy. Amusement is contagious: in groups, people are more prone to be amused and express their amusement more overtly. People are more likely to share amusement when they are with friends or like-minded people. For these reasons, amusement is often considered a social emotion. It encourages people to engage in social interactions and it promotes social bonding. Many people consider amusement to be good for the body and the soul. By the end of the 20th century, humor and laughter were considered important for mental and physical health, even by psychoneuroimmunology researchers who suggested that emotions influenced immunity. This precipitated the ‘humor and health movement’ among health care providers who believed that humor and laughter help speed recovery, including in patients suffering from cancer1). However, the evidence for health benefits of humor and laughter is less conclusive than commonly believed2. Amusement is a frequent target of regulation: we down-regulate it by shifting our attention to avoid inappropriate laughter, or up-regulate it by focusing on a humorous aspect of a negative situation. Interestingly, amusement that is purposefully up-regulated has been found to have the same beneficial physical and psychological effects as the naturally experienced emotion. Amusement has a few clear expressions that emerge depending on the intensity of the emotion. When people are mildly amused, they tend to smile or chuckle. When amusement intensifies, people laugh out loud and tilt or bob their head. The most extreme bouts of amusement may be accompanied by uncontrollable laughter, tears, and rolling on the floor. Most cultures welcome and endorse amusement. Many people even consider a ‘good sense of humor’ as one of the most desirable characteristics in a partner. At the same time, most cultures have (implicit) rules about what is the right time and place for amusement. For example, displays of amusement may be deemed inappropriate in situations that demand seriousness or solemness, such as at work or during religious rituals.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone!!! Two cups of coffee in the books and I am just feeling so wonderful this morning. Not sure why, but I'm happy and smiling.   Enjoy this beautiful day!!!
    • Heather Shay
      A U.S. dollar bill can be folded approximately 4,000 times in the same place before it will tear. -You cannot snore and dream at the same time. -The average person walks the equivalent of three times around the world in a lifetime. -A hippo’s wide open mouth is big enough to fit a 4-foot-tall child in. -Chewing gum while you cut an onion will help keep you from crying.
    • Susan R
      Love it! This is great news. We need more of this to combat the excessive hate-filled rhetoric and misinformation. 👍
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.