Jump to content
  • Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

    We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


HRT requirements

Recommended Posts


Sorry, this could fit in several places and I wasn't sure which was best so I just picked here. I"m really confused and looking for advice.

So this is where I am. I see myself as non-binary/trans-masc - essentially, masculine of centre but not fully male (I'm AFAB). In Feb this year, after a very long process of acceptance (years long) I saw a GP at a Trans and Gender Diverse GP Clinic who said I could absolutely access low-dose T, and we could make it flexible - so taper it if/when I started experiencing symptoms I wasn't comfortable with. Great, right? But you can only get T with a psychologist's consent so he referred me to a psychologist who specialises in gender assessments. After three sessions with the psych where gender was discussed for a total maximum of 5 mins, he says I'm not trans (which I never claimed to be) and he's not willing to do a full gender assessment. He said I could go somewhere else and they may approve me for T and it may help, but in his view I'm very dissociative.. which means T may not help. He says to address my dissociation will require therapy for "a long time and maybe a very long time". 

I'm confused because some of what he says makes sense. And I guess I can live with waiting longer for T if necessary - I've made it this long, after all. But I really don't know whether // how much to trust him. He's very expensive. How can I know he's not just stringing it along for his own reasons? (I should say I've googled him and asked all the queer people I know and not heard anything negative about him but.. ?)

Has anyone else been told they're too dissociative for T? 


Share this post

Link to post

I'd get a second opinion and maybe a third.  I'm not saying the guy you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about,  just that he doesn't have to be the end of the line.  Maybe T is right for you, maybe it's not.  It's always a good idea to get another opinion.  You'll know when the therapist you're talking to "gets it" and their council will feel right to you or at least provoke the questions in you that need answers.  Then you'll know you're in the right place.  Keep looking & searching.  Best wishes for your journey.

Share this post

Link to post

You are not the first person here to have run into this problem, and it does apply to both genders.  Dissociation does come in a little more in AFAB to male / masculine situations than in AMAB to female / femme ones and we do have things here on the forums that talk about it.  You say that you spent much more time on things other than actual Gender Dysphoria and it is in those things that you did give the evidence of the psychological phenomena.  Hormones, especially T can be dangerous and could also interfere with dealing with the dissociation issues.  The doctor's first line is to be sure you are not harmed if there could be other roads to the meeting of your real needs. 

I do agree that you may want to find another therapist at least for verification of this doctor's findings and decisions, and this doctor did say others may not share their concerns.  Dissociation does cover a very wide range of things, including issues that I have dealt with long after I was diagnosed with Gender Dysphoria where HRT was appropriate.  Even without the hormones you can still present in the ways you feel most comfortable without the doctor's permission. 

Share this post

Link to post

Thanks for the replies here. I read them at the time but didn't really have anything to say back. The update is that I saw my GP this week and told him what the therapist said and asked what other options I had (thinking maybe another referral even though I didn't know how I would afford it) and he wrote me a script for T :) Pretty damn stoked! I keep grinning for no reason LOL

Now the issue which has driven me back here in an attempt to extract more wisdom, is -what the heck- do I tell my therapist on Tuesday? I could stop seeing him but in spite of all that's happened, I do think he gets some things (MH related, not gender related) and could probably help me with certain things. But is it feasible to keep from him for the next whatever, that I'm on T? He's talking about long term therapy and I feel like T is going to be a pretty big thing in my life for the next little while so I don't know how practical it is to think I can just not tell him. But also on the other hand, I can't just rock up on Tuesday and when he asks how I am, answer (truthfully) that I've had a f-n awesome week because I finally got T after a year of trying. It would feel weird - like I undermined him - and I'm also worried he'll speak to the GP and persuade him to discontinue it. So either way, that's a bad thing. 

I don't know. Any thoughts?

Share this post

Link to post

I'm glad to hear your happy.  This certainly makes for a good week.  

About telling your therapist, I don't know, apparently your doctor feels the T would be of value otherwise they wouldn't have prescribed it.  Not mentioning it to your therapist right away would be an option if it doesn't come up in the conversation.  But eventually you will need to disclose all that's happening in your life as truthfulness is important to get the most of therapy.   As suggested earlier, have you looking into another therapist to get their opinion and to see if you "fit" in better with their counseling philosophy? 


Share this post

Link to post

I would certainly be open and honest with your therapist  The fact that you are so happy is important.  Hopefully he can see how relevant and important gender issues are to you.  At the same time all the other issues we have simply don't disappear post transition so his help may certainly be relevant for other issues.  Being honest about myself with others was one of the biggest gifts of transition.   





Share this post

Link to post

I would echo the advice given above.  It is really important for you to be completely open and honest with your therapist especially regarding the mixed actions/advice of the professionals you saw.  The therapist needs to be made aware of the contradictions.  I hope things work out well for you.

Share this post

Link to post

Thanks all, 

The honesty thing is a good point. I think I'll try to tell him tomorrow. If I can't - because I also don't trust him a whole lot at this point - then I'll drop out and try again with somebody else next year when the funding resets. 

I haven't tried anyone else yet Jani because of the way funding works and how long everything takes. I could see someone else next year but not before then. 

Share this post

Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

    • SugarMagnolia
    • Sandra6sandy9sand
    • MaryMary
    • Jani
    • BananaPowered95
    • DeeDee
  • Who Was Online

    107 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • SugarMagnolia
    • Sandra6sandy9sand
    • Jani
    • MaryMary
    • BananaPowered95
    • DeeDee
    • Cyndee
    • Kirsten
    • Gregory
    • Willow
    • Josie Beth
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • Cluck1992
    • Anyatimenow
    • killjoyaiden
    • EliAtkins
    • Petra Jane
    • Beth
    • KymmieL
    • Robinl69
    • Willa
    • Dev
    • MaryEllen
    • roman
    • Janeshannon
    • MaxiMegan
    • ilikefilms
    • michelle_kitten
    • Charlize
    • figuringitout
    • Kylara Anne Bagwell
    • ToniTone
    • Michelle F
    • Lorry
    • Miss Julia
    • Ritacd0
    • Elyssia
    • Timber Wolf
    • tracy_j
    • Clara84
    • VickySGV
    • Ellora
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Susan
    • gaynoodle76
    • Dylan
    • Ronin82
    • Cheyenne skye
    • Belladonnakarapinskia
    • Makayla2019
    • nitehwk
    • jae bear
    • Zoey-Alice
    • Kim1
    • Stevi
    • Im_a_otaku_44
    • Ned
    • Joanne_C
    • Sharon Aml
    • LotsOQs026
    • Maid In Bedlam
    • overwhelmedmom
    • sara albert
    • JJ
    • Infatheline
    • ERCLVRB18
    • jo_g
    • Jackie C.
    • AsTheCrow
    • D@zednc0nfus3d
    • EvanC
    • mxophie
    • Evelyn1992
    • Hellothere
    • Mybuttlost
    • Kylie
    • Lightbrite
    • MsLindaV
    • Gigi
    • Jocelyn
    • DrumbeatAlex
    • Jen0370
    • ScooterKatie
    • SaraAW
    • Alexx21
    • Alex94
    • Dranor
    • Geselle
    • Alex C
    • Jaybird4711
    • BillieS
    • KC1
    • L0gan
    • LouiseRose1954
    • Telistra
    • 1unar3clipse
    • Kelva
    • Lady Ayu
    • Terry
    • SharkGirl98
    • fphamm45
    • Iwy.13
    • Alana Stone
    • GothicLucas
    • shampoo-nyanko
    • Tiffany418
    • LittleRed
  • Topics With Zero Replies

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
    • Most Online

    Newest Member
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Anyatimenow
      (18 years old)
    2. CrystalMatthews0426
      (36 years old)
    3. Jamilyn
      (37 years old)
    4. Jcs2017
    5. WhoAmI1983
      (36 years old)
  • Posts

    • Jani
      This is great.  I love the imagery of the Ravens and Butterflies.   Your choice of colors are beautiful.  Jani
    • Jani
    • Jani
      Yes we all have our unique stories yet we are very similar.  No aliens here!   You can be the person you wish to be.  Life isn't always easy, even for cis people, so jump in and be you, be happy.    Jani
    • Jani
      You are certainly not alone.  There are many of us that have similar experiences and we are happy.  You can be too.  Be you!
    • BananaPowered95
      I've been checking the forums lately - it's interesting how many of us have different experiences ! And how others feel like this, I always thought I was an alien! I identified with a lot of stories here and it's nice knowing I'm not alone in this I have some thinking to do yet but being like this forever feels like hell Thanks y'all for the kind answers! Kudos! 😄
    • Jani
      Hello Kylara and welcome!  Thank you for sharing.  You are correct that you can go as far as you wish and be comfortable with your choice.  Bravo for you.  It sounds like you and your wife have a great life.  See you around!     Jani
    • Jani
      This is exciting!  I got simple stainless studs as well when I got mine done.  I still wear them when I go to electrolysis or work in my shop.  Brings back fond memories!     Hugs, Jani
    • SugarMagnolia
      There's something incredibly powerful too about simply taking action. It helps us to avoid feeling like victims and focus on what we're doing as opposed to what others are doing against us. So, glad to see you standing up, Kirsten! 

      Fight like a girl, baby! 💪✊🤼‍♀️
    • Cyndee
      Welcome Kylara and thanks for your intro 😎   I am glad to read your wife supports you. I also enjoy cycling great exercise and fun !   Have a look around the forums, and post away as the mood strikes   Hugs   Cyndee -
    • DeeDee
      Hi Alex 🤗  you have already been given a lot of good advice above.   I think it is okay to be overwhelmed sometimes - If I think about transitioning mtf,  it floods over me with all of the fears, questions and doubts that you have mentioned. I was given the advice to just look at each little step on it's own and see if it feel right at the time - if it does move forwards if it doesn't step back. I want to experience being Dee in my daily life but at the moment I am very restricted, I do know that I think I want to start HRT when I can because a lot of folk experience a "rightness" emotionally which is linked to finally having the right chemicals in their body, those that do not get that feeling stop before any permanent changes happen to the body. Do not transition to become a fantasy or you are doomed to disappointment, just change the things you want to change until you are happy with who you are, once that happens the future is full of potential and keep going with your therapist while you need one. Things like clothing and fashion you could probably get help with from a friend if you wish to build confidence in how you look... But definitely change your doctor, he sounds like a right tool, what he has said is incredibly unproffessional regardless of his personal opinion. 🤬
    • Kirsten
      Congrats Michelle! I felt the same way about the weight. I lost 80 pounds before I started hrt. Gained 20 back once I started, and I’ve once again lost that 20. Weight loss may be slightly more difficult on hrt, but it’s all self control. If you put in the work, eat right, exercise every day, it’ll come off. Hrt or not.    I really like what Vikki mentioned above too regarding inner strength. I am proof of that. From introvert to too much to list. Once you let that girl out, she’s gonna run things! Get ready for what I hope is an awesome personal transformation!! 
    • michelle_kitten
      Charlize, if you look anything like your avatar picture, you're pretty.   Hugs
    • Cyndee
      Good morning, we have lot's of blooming trees and bulbs now here, fortunately I don't suffer this time of year, my soul mate and daughters do however. Going to be another beautiful day here in paradise, 2nd cup of coffee tastes great, as I look at work here too.   Have a great day all   Cyndee -
    • Charlize
      I also want to be pretty and to pass.  I think most of us who are MTF feel that way.  I've grown to believe that the happiness often found in self acceptance is the most beautiful part of any person.  When i feel good about myself the glow seems almost infectious.  As i read your posts, I see you growing in that feeling helped by finding the acceptance of others.  Enjoy this beautiful life.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Charlize
      A lovely image.  Watercolors are a lovely medium.   Hugs,   Charlize
  • Upcoming Events