• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

They and the guys

DrumbeatAlex

Hey, :)

had a nice experience today so just thought I'd share.

I went to this short driving course today. We were sitting in table groups and I didn't know anyone, but to start the course off we did a quick icebreaker (introducing ourselves to someone else on the table and saying why we had decided to come to the course). The person I was with first came up and said something along the lines of "hows it going sir" in a mock hello sort of way. So firstly :o I got sir-ed (or something similar)! Then even when I told him my name (my birth name- which is pretty feminine) he referred to me as "they" multiple times when sharing what I had said to him with the group. So I don't think he (I assume) knew what to think. :) 

I just liked this coz normally I'm with family or someone and they 'correct' people who 'mis'-gender me or the person apologies for calling me 'he' when they hear me speak, but that didn't happen this time. :) 

Then throughout the rest of the course there were a fair few masculine generalizations made by people at our table, I assume in regards to our table (though our table had a group of 4 friends so they could just have been referring to themselves) (eg. 'good work boys' type of thing). It was nice to not be getting singled out in this situation, because often if I'm in a large group of guys it'll be "boys..and (insert name here)" or "boys...and girls.." (I find this conflicting because the people saying it aren't aware of my gender confusion so they are trying to refer to me properly but I don't like it because it singles me out and I'm confused). but that didn't happen  :)

Haha thats pretty long, but yeah. It was nice and unexpected. :)

PS. phew! I just got an error message trying to submit this but it saved all my writing so no worries. :) 

• Admin

Awesome!  It's like they caught the gender confusion going the other way for once! :)  

• Forum Moderator

Sounds like a very positive experience.  In a way as time goes by it becomes routine and you miss that rush when it was new. Yet in another way there is always a sense of satisfaction still. Those early affirmations are sweet and have for me stayed as vivid as the moment they happened.

May this be one of many more great experiences.

Johnny

• Forum Moderator

Very good.  I'm glad you enjoyed it too!

Jani