Sign in to follow this  
Carolyn Marie

Amendment to Deny Transition Svcs to Vets Defeated

Carolyn Marie   
Carolyn Marie
Jani423   
Jani423

I just read this and was surprised that an amendment "that appeared to have strong Republican support" would fail.  I loved the statement about costs, "She (Republican Rep. Vicky Hartzler of Missouri) said that stems from $130,000 per transition surgery, plus the cost of hormone treatments..."  "Rep. Adam Smith of Washington state, the top Democrat on the House Armed Services Committee, said before the vote Thursday there is no study showing a $3.5 billion cost."  Personally I have no idea where that number was derived from.  In the years since I came out I've spent $40K and now I'm in "maintenance" mode like I was prior to transition.  I know others who have spent much less.   Cost in this case is a red herring.  Its all about discrimination. 

Jani 

Carolyn Marie   
Carolyn Marie
4 hours ago, Jani423 said:

.   Cost in this case is a red herring.  Its all about discrimination. 

It's so hypocritical, too.  Congress doesn't bat an eye when cost overruns on a single project go into the billions, but are so perturbed at the thought of spending a couple million annually to help veterans who risked life and limb defending us.