Sign in to follow this  
Carolyn Marie

Trans Woman & Spouse Sue Amazon Re; Workplace Discrimination

VickySGV   
VickySGV

Not too far from me is a large warehouse building that has been looking for an occupant for half a year.  Yesterday I noticed that there was a good deal of activity with several truck loads of steel warehouse shelving on the way into it.  There was a NOW HIRING banner out front looking for employees with Amazon Warehousing skills.  This is 3,000 miles away from the place where this suit's actions took place.  I do not know exactly how Amazon operates its system, but from seeing its new sub-location here, I am guessing that it has many more such sites around the country.  The fact that this lawsuit is coming from Tennessee which has a bad attitude in general toward LGBT people points more to the location management and local hires than to the parent company.  I am not thinking of going to work at the one near me, but our California attitudes are a bit better I hope. 

Carolyn Marie   
Carolyn Marie
4 minutes ago, VickySGV said:

I am not thinking of going to work at the one near me, but our California attitudes are a bit better I hope. 

Our laws are a bit better than they are in Tennessee as well.  Actually, more than "a bit" better, thankfully.

Carolyn Marie

Briana   
Briana
On 8/11/2017 at 8:53 AM, VickySGV said:

I am not thinking of going to work at the one near me, but our California attitudes are a bit better I hope. 

I'd say some California attitudes.  San Fran, LA, and to some extent, SD has those specific areas where attitudes are much better towards the trans community.  And yes, we have laws etc. that help, especially with labor issues.  However, get into some neighborhoods or head east, and I find those attitudes not too different towards the trans community than from other conservative areas of the nation, and things can be just as tough.  Like you pointed out Vicky, a lot has to do with local/regional attitudes and perceptions despite great company policy and state laws.

Ravin   
Ravin

I agree that it probably has more to do with the mentality of local management than the parent company. Still, this is how corporate culture gets changed--most likely that management will either find themselves unemployed, or have to go through retraining which will hopefully at least change their on the job attitude even if it doesn't touch their core beliefs and mindset.