• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Started HRT today

Cecilia

Hi.  Pretty excited.  Started HRT today.  I talked to my Trans MD for 2 hours about everything I could think of and everything she wanted to ask and teach me.   I am over 40 (age 56) so we went with the [low dose] (values not allowed) patch and (not allowed) Spiro.  Spiro has me worried about side effects;  but she said I only needed to be on Spiro for 90 until she can chat with my therapist and get me on the surgical schedule for my scrotal orchiectomy.  So hopefully the orchi can happen in late November and then I should just need the patch.  So -  that's my exciting news to everyone for this week!    Xoxoxo to everyone!

-Cici

• Forum Moderator

Hi Cici,  Great news about starting on a HRT regimen.   Its not allowed to share info on the doses you are prescribed as they may be harmful for others, so I've removed them.  

The only side effect I had on Spiro was the need to drink large amounts of water throughout the day which resulted in multiple trips to the bathroom.  This is to keep you potassium levels in check.  YRMV.   Thats interesting that your doctor is taking about an orchi so soon.  If you are planning for eventual GRS you might want to consult with a surgeon or two to learn how they want the incisions to be made since this can affect later outcomes.  

Eventually your breasts will become sore as they start to grow.  They will be real sensitive and painful if you bump them.  Don't worry as they will soon calm down.   I think you'll notice the mental changes first.  

Congratulations!
Jani

16 minutes ago, Jani423 said:

Hi Cici,  Great news about starting on a HRT regimen.   Its not allowed to share info on the doses you are prescribed as they may be harmful for others, so I've removed them.  

The only side effect I had on Spiro was the need to drink large amounts of water throughout the day which resulted in multiple trips to the bathroom.  This is to keep you potassium levels in check.  YRMV.   Thats interesting that your doctor is taking about an orchi so soon.  If you are planning for eventual GRS you might want to consult with a surgeon or two to learn how they want the incisions to be made since this can affect later outcomes.  

Eventually your breasts will become sore as they start to grow.  They will be real sensitive and painful if you bump them.  Don't worry as they will soon calm down.   I think you'll notice the mental changes first.  

Congratulations!
Jani

She said I would pee more often;  but should I drink more water than I typically do?   I asked for the early Orchi waiver because a year on spiro is more dangerous than 3 months on spiro since I have Atrial Fibrillation.  A rare but existing side effect of Spiro is that you can get increased potassium in your blood and that can trigger irregular heartbeats and even death.  So we are doing blood every month and asking BCBS for the waiver in November.

After the scrotal orchi I am done in the downstairs department.  I didn't want to deal with daily dilatation and I didn't plan on using it anyway because I am married to a cis woman.  So I am doing the scrotectomy with the orchiectomy so I don't have something that looks like a giant skin tag. Any time I see my scrotum I get the worst anxiety attacks.  It just is this part of my body that really grosses me out and I want it gone.

From the upstairs perspective,  I am waiting for 12 months on HRT before BA, trachea shave,  and full FFS;  and I will see how I do with voice training before I make a determination on VFSRAC.   

I did pick out my FFS MD, and my wife is suggesting I see him this winter and get on his schedule for next summer.  My first choice is Jeffrey Spiegel,  who did Stef Sanjati and some other famous trans bloggers (and is sometimes on Fox Morning News);  and my plan-b if I decide otherwise will be Dr Lee in NYC that did the work for Caitlyn Jenner.  Either way it's paid in full; so I just need to decide who I like.  But my first choice is Spiegel.   That's next July though - which feels like forever away! 

• Forum Moderator

Yes you definitely need to drink more water because of the Potassium concern.  I drank about 2 gallons a day and always had a water bottle with me when I was out.  Maybe I overdid it but I was comfortable with the how much I consumed.  

I had a trachea shave by Dr. Spiegel and I liked his approach.  A good friend just had comprehensive FFS done and is still recovering.  

If you haven't yet, start electrolysis to remove any facial hair.  Its a little more painful on HRT but not oppressive.   But its a long process so starting early has benefits when you go full time.

Jani

• Forum Moderator

One of the joys for me of having an orchiectomy was eliminating the need to "force" fluids.  I was floating but found if i cut back i started cramping very quickly.  Oddly post surgery i am probably healthier as i continue to drink more than i once did, and no alcohol.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

I also continue to drink a lot more water than I did pre-transition.  I think it's a good habit and I feel fine.  As my body got used to the volume my trips to the little room have lessened.  

Jani

Cecilia it's good to hear you started hrt.

When I started about 24 hours later I was, felt really weak it got better each day for a few days now I don't notice it so much. I was not expecting such a major change all at once. I am just two weeks on hrt. I am glad I started. I hope you have a pleasant journey. 

Congratulations! I am restarting mine post surgery today (I was told to go off it for bit due to the DVT threat). I am a happy girl.

• Forum Moderator

Great to hear that Marcie.  I know when i've had to quit for a health reason it felt so right to start up again.

Hugs,

Charlize

Thanks! Slowly I am recovering, I think I will be going stir crazy by the end of next week.

Is my DVT threat from spiro,  the estradiol patch, or both?  I am at 2 weeks of HRT so far.  I don't really feel any changes.  ;-( 

• Forum Moderator

Note: This is my opinion from all the reading I've done to educate myself during my personal journey.  I am not a medical professional so take this only as my thoughts.   I do wear patches and find them to satisfy my goals.

The risk of DVT is lower on estrogen patches due to how the body absorbs the drug.  Estrogen increases the risk due to increased production of blood clotting properties.  Some doctors will recommend taking a low dose aspirin, although this has its own set of issues that need to be balanced with your medical history.  I used to take it but my primary doctor had me stop.  The various methods of delivery differ in how they interact with the body, how they are absorbed. You may have read about first pass and second pass.  My Endo simply explained it saying with Patches the drug does not enter the kidneys first where the blood is filtered.  Obviously its more complicated than this which is why its important to work with a doctor who understands the science and will consider your body as a system the drug must respond to positively (more than negatively).  

On the bright side, the older Premarin drug was derived from horses and was known to be problematic.  The newer synthetic hormones are less dangerous with no more increased risk of DVT than normal women experience, when used in an appropriate setting under doctors care.   

There is lots of information on the web about this, much at respected medical sites.  But some of it needs to be taken with a grain of salt as there is little supporting data.  I work with a doctor that I trust, but I also did my homework.  I have had zero problems.   

The issue with Spiro is Potassium which is why we need to increase our water intake to keep it at a safe level.  Its also used to treat some heart issues.  A known side effect is impotence from suppressed T levels, hence the use by our community.   

About changes, not everyone experiences them quickly or in a gush.  They tend to sneak up on you.  They did with me and I loved it that way as there is a lot going on!   Remember that puberty was a years long process as our bodies developed.  This second go at it will also be gradual, with times when things speed up and times when they slow down.  As been written here many times, "Enjoy the Ride!"   

Jani

• Forum Moderator

When it comes to how we are changing with HRT it's best to remember how cis girls develop.  There is a huge variety as well as a different timeline for everyone.  Try to relax, sit back and know that your doctor has your best interest as well as your progress in mind.  They are not existing in different realms.  Oddly while it was hard for me to comprehend my research showed that larger doses did little or nothing to picking up the pace, however he danger did increase.  Be safe and enjoy!

Hugs,

Charlize