Sign in to follow this  
Token Economy

Mental health issues and Hormones

Token Economy   
Token Economy

Hi my name is Matthew. I suffer from some really nasty anxiety problems. Including OCD, social anxiety, depression , emetophobia and infection related fears. I am torched day and night by this problems. My life has been made hollow by them. The social anxiety makes it impossible to have a circle of friends and since I am 22 thats a serious problem. My OCD is so bad that now find it difficult to walk down a street. I am on antidepressants and have tried therapy twice in the past and neither has had an effect. 

So my question is this. Will hormones have any beneficial effect on these problems? It just makes sense that if you have a female brain that is deprived of the chemicals I should have than that will lead to problems like the ones listed above. TBH I feel like killing myself as I have had enough of both this being trans and quite a few other things I am  fed up with.   

MarcieMarie12   
MarcieMarie12

Might, depends on if those issues are related to your gender dysphoria and not some other issue.  

ChickenLittle   
ChickenLittle

Hi Matthew!

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles-- it sounds like your mental health has been really debilitating. Personally, I have struggled with depression, anxiety, and ptsd throughout my life. I recently started taking Testosterone and while it's done wonders for my daily moods (I feel a lot more stable day-to-day and minute-to-minute than I used to, and generally happier about my life) I don't think it can serve as a cure-all for mental health issues. 

Have you tried speaking with your doctor about trying new or different meds to help with your OCD and anxiety? Sometimes it takes some trial and error to find the right one for you. As for therapy, I've had some really  terrible experiences and some really great experiences, I think it really depends on whether you "click" with your therapist and their style. 

All else aside, I hope that despite the issues you're sorting through, you're safe and supported. If you're feeling suicidal please don't hesitate to reach out for help by calling a helpline or using the chat service here. 

Jani423   
Jani423

Hi Matthew.  I agree that talking to your doctor might be a good strategy.  If they don't know already, you will be coming out to them but that shouldn't be an issue with your medical team.   I find Estrogen has calmed me down quite a bit.  It's worth it to have the talk.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Jani

Token Economy   
Token Economy

I came out to the doctors when I was a teen. Most doctors at the surgery know I am trans and know I suffer from anxiety. They were the first people I went to with these problems.  To be clear I am not really asking for a cure all just something that will help. 

Charlize   
Charlize

My primary doctor was one of the first people whom i came out.  Her acceptance and support alone helped with my fear and anxiety.  As time passed the therapy, posting here and continued work in other groups as well made things even better.  Hormone therapy was like a cherry on top.  It wasn't the foundation of feeling better about myself and the world but it certainly made it all so much better.  

Matthew we are all different but a combination of therapy, work, hormones and time have removed most of the fears that once plagued me.

Hugs,

Charlize