• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Uplifting News Forum

Dev

• Admin

Evening all!

This forum is intended for those who would like to share the uplifting news they find around the internet.  For example, I'm constantly seeing news of animals being rescued from severe weather, people overcoming adversity, that sort of thing.  I've often thought more people than just my paltry few Facebook friends could benefit from seeing such news, so I decided to create a forum here where we can share these things.  

Posts here don't have to be trans-related, though of course such news is welcome.  The only requirement is that the news has a happy ending, one that lifts the spirits and - dare the old, jaded cynic say it - warms the heart.

• 5 years later...

Camp Indigo Point for LGBTQ+ Youth. This looks like a good idea—a real safe haven for kids about to become LGBTQ+ adults. Sure beats learnimg to smoke tobacco at Boy Scout camp.

Camp Indigo Point for LGBTQ+ Youth.  Camp Indigo Point is a one-week residential summer camp for youth in grades 2nd-11th. We are located just outside of St. Louis, MO. Camp Indigo Point seeks to provide LGBTQ+ youth the chance to experience a community of peers in a fun, exuberant, affirming environment. 

http://www.campindigopoint.org/

• 2 months later...

Governor Murphy of New Jersey has signed an order that will seal all name changes in to protect transgender citizens. Name Changes will no longer be open to public inspections and will be confidential. Likewise the $50 fee is waived.
FiH7r9xXkAQgQgN?format=jpg&name=large

Senate to vote on landmark bill to protect same-sex marriage. 

The expected passage of the legislation with support from both parties is an extraordinary sign of the shifting politics on the issue and a measure of relief for the hundreds of thousands of same-sex couples who have married since the Supreme Court’s 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges decision that legalized gay marriage nationwide. Senate Democrats are moving quickly, while the party still holds the majority in both chambers of Congress, to send the bill to the House and eventually President Joe Biden's desk.  

• Admin

So they passed the bill, which is good.  But amendments potentially weakened it, which is bad.  So goes the process of making sausage legislation.  In both cases, it's better not to know too much about how it got made.  Anyway, as long as Obergefell is still the law, it's a moot issue.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/29/politics/respect-for-marriage-act-what-matters/index.html

Carolyn Marie

7 hours ago, Davie said:

Senate to vote on landmark bill to protect same-sex marriage. 

The expected passage of the legislation with support from both parties is an extraordinary sign of the shifting politics on the issue and a measure of relief for the hundreds of thousands of same-sex couples who have married since the Supreme Court’s 2015 Obergefell v. Hodges decision that legalized gay marriage nationwide. Senate Democrats are moving quickly, while the party still holds the majority in both chambers of Congress, to send the bill to the House and eventually President Joe Biden's desk.  

It's easy for the "hate and bigotry" neo-nazi party to give up on their old scapegoat ("gay") when they have their bright, promising, shiny new "jew" (us) to F with.

I will be happiest when the marriage frontier expands a bit further.  Legalized marriage of any couple is a good start, but not all of us live as couples 😔. While I don't feel the need to have a government I loathe approve of my family, lacking legal marriage makes some things like health insurance more complicated.

Frankly, imho, the government needs to stay out of marriage. Period. I'm afraid that my cynicism is about to show, because I believe that the only real reason government is involved in the process is because issuing marriage licenses is a source of revenue. Divorce is a bit different, because children and property are involved--protecting the children being the primary concern. But, despite their motives, this is a small sign of progress.

• Forum Moderator

A few years back when equality in marriage was being debated at the Supreme Court many here in the trans community doubted it would affect us.  In fact i waited until a positive decision before changing my name and legal gender.  Otherwise if something happened to either my wife or i the farm might have to be sold to handle inheritance tax.  Its seemed impossible at the time but i had spoken to the Lambda and ACLU lawyers as they traveled away from the presentation.  They all advised waiting for the result.

Hugs,

Charlize

6 hours ago, Davie said:

Mitch McConnell just voted against interracial marriage even though he’s in an interracial marriage.

Yep.  Seems to be less-known, but at one time there was great stigma against marrying someone of an Asian ethnicity.  It was specifically mentioned in the laws of several states. 

However, since those issues were solved in previous legislation, this particular bill wasn't necessary to secure interracial marriage.  Or same-sex marriage, for that matter. 

Today's Christian radio broadcasts were full of chattering and scolding about it, but full of generalities.  No specifics about what exactly they object to.  I'm hard-pressed to understand what exactly this bill DOES that hasn't been done before.  Clearly something, since both sides were hard at it. 

The House gave final passage on Thursday to landmark legislation protecting same-sex marriage, in a bipartisan vote that reflects a remarkable shift in public opinion just over a quarter-century after Congress defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

The final vote was 258 to 169, with 39 Republican members joining every House Democrat in supporting the bill.

• 1 month later...

Progress from the top.

Japanese prime minister fires aide over anti-LGBTQ+ remarks. 

Fumio Kishida says official’s comments ‘outrageous and completely incompatible with policies.’
The incident is an embarrassment for Kishida as he prepares to host the leaders of the other G7 countries in May. Unlike Japan, which has been ruled by the conservative Liberal Democratic party for most of the past seven decades, the rest of the G7 allow marriage or civil unions for same-sex couples. The G7 are: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States; additionally, the European Union (EU). 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/feb/04/japan-prime-minister-fumio-kishida-fires-aide-lgbtq-same-sex-marriage

• 8 months later...

11th Circuit Court Upholds Ruling Blocking Drag Ban

In a major ruling released Wednesday, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in the United States ruled that Florida's ban on drag will continue to be blocked from enforcement statewide.

The Florida drag ban will not be allowed to take effect. This decision upholds an injunction issued by a district court judge in June that did likewise. Florida had been the site of several enforcement threats against drag events, prompting some Pride celebrations to cancel their parades out of concern over the drag laws being weaponized against them. Now, however, drag will continue to be legal in the state. This ruling marks the latest in a series of victories against these types of laws nation-wide.

— ERIN REED, OCT 12

1 hour ago, Davie said:

11th Circuit Court Upholds Ruling Blocking Drag Ban

In a major ruling released Wednesday, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in the United States ruled that Florida's ban on drag will continue to be blocked from enforcement statewide.

The Florida drag ban will not be allowed to take effect. This decision upholds an injunction issued by a district court judge in June that did likewise. Florida had been the site of several enforcement threats against drag events, prompting some Pride celebrations to cancel their parades out of concern over the drag laws being weaponized against them. Now, however, drag will continue to be legal in the state. This ruling marks the latest in a series of victories against these types of laws nation-wide.

— ERIN REED, OCT 12

Good to hear that someone is speaking up for us in Florida. That sure is a good victory!

• 1 month later...
A Major Victory.
The Supreme Court has told Florida that its drag ban will stay blocked from enforcement in the state. The law has been found likely unconstitutional by several courts so far. This is a victory for drag as well as trans Floridians and Pride events.

New Poll: 76% Say Trans Care For Trans Youth Should Be Decided By Parents Or Doctors

A new poll shows that a large majority of people believe that decisions around gender affirming care with trans youth should be left to parents or doctors, not elected lawmakers.

ERIN REED, NOV 17