Dev

Monthly Site Expenses

Dev

Hello!

In an ongoing effort to be transparent about the expenses related to running the site, I wanted to share with you the source of all of our costs as well as our "wish list."  Here you'll see a breakdown of the site's individual expenses along with the total cost of maintaining them.  Averaged over the last year, we have received about $30 monthly in donations; the balance of these expenses comes directly out of my pocket.

I want to assure you that the site will continue to run, but ongoing donations are immensely helpful.  While I wouldn't have taken ownership of the site if I couldn't personally guarantee its continued availability, I must admit my limited income makes it hard to squeeze the funds out in some months.  If you are willing and able, please set up a one-time or recurring donation - even a small one - to help ensure the future of the site.

Licenses:

• Chat: $19.95 monthly.  I typically pay for three months at a time.  They offer a $20 discount if a year's worth of time is purchased at once.
  • Forums: $25.00 every six months.  This license comes due every August and February.
  • Resource Locator: $50.00 yearly.  This comes due every September.
  • Email Delivery Service: $7.50 monthly.  This ensures that our emails show up in inboxes as opposed to spam folders, and provides us with extra insurance against emails being rejected outright as they were on our old server.

Hosting:

• Server rental: $70.00 monthly.  This is a recent expense as of this writing; we were forced to move to a new server to allow site-generated emails to be sent once again.
  • Server security software: $179.00 yearly.  This comes due every October.  I'm sure you can understand why I don't want to name this software in a publicly visible place and give the evildoers of the internet any ideas on how to beat it.  This cost represents two individual pieces of software that protect us from hacker and spammer attacks - those evil-minded people have bots that test our servers and are successfully blocked up to around 400 times a day.

Total Monthly Investment to Ensure Payment of All Bills: $120.70

Advertising:  If I'm able to contribute - or receive contributions that help me to contribute - more than that bare minimum, any funds held over will be used for advertising purposes.  We want to get the word out far and wide so we can help as many people as humanly possible.  Advertising campaigns will be launched any time we have $500.00 or more in funds not otherwise marked for payment of bills.

Those who wish to donate can do so here.

Recently, I asked for donations to help cover the summer licenses as well as convert the site to a new platform.  I'm pleased and very, very grateful to say that the generosity of the TransPulse community made possible everything I set out to do.  Incorporation and the subsequent registration as a non-profit organization is something that isn't in the cards at present, as the legal expenses, filing costs, and risk to those who would take places on the board is far across the line of what's tolerable.  This means that we can't issue tax deduction receipts for donations we receive at this time, which is why contributions from our members are doubly appreciated.

I'm immensely proud to be part of a community that looks after its own in the way this one does.  I'd like to offer my sincere thanks to all of you.  To those who have donated or will do so in the future, your gifts are treasured.  To those unable to give financially, know that the experience you bring to the community and the guidance you offer your fellow members is priceless.

:ThanxSmiley:

Petra Jane

Thanks Dev for the updates on what the current costs are, also on what you've got on your wish list! Very forward looking. I wish you all the best and hope that those able to do so, can spare a few $ frm time to time.

PJ

MaryEllen

Since the site name change from Laura's Playground to TransgenderPulse we're finding that we aren't as visible on the internet as we used to be. What's needed is an advertising campaign. Since this tends to be on the expensive side and since we don't have the funds available, we would like to ask if any of our members would be willing to contribute toward this fund. Anything that you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ravin

Is there a "donate" button somewhere?

Dev
Just now, Ravin said:

You know, this is the third time I've posted introducing the idea of donating to the site, and also the third time I've forgotten to put in the link to the donation page.  Got that fixed now.

I am so horrible at asking for money. ;) 

MaryEllen
2 hours ago, Ravin said:

On the bottom of the site main page

MaryEllen

those evil-minded people have bots that test our servers and are successfully blocked up to around 400 times a day.

As I type this there are two of them attempting to register to this site. Imagine the havoc they could cause if they actually succeeded.  That's why it's critical that we have adequate security in place. I've seen over a hundred at any one time attempting to hack in. Our site wouldn't last five minutes if they were to succeed.