• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Trans Man's Story: Transitioning, Then Getting Breast Cancer

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Hopefully he recovers completely! There are genetic influences on getting breast cancer as it is often more common among relatives of someone who gets it. This article is open in that it does say correctly that some (genetic) males are susceptible. The thing that concerns me is that insurance companies can gender problems as male and female, particulary in this case as both men and women have breasts. Maybe it is me not knowing, but are there different types of tumour from cells with XY or XX chromosomes?

Tracy

• Forum Moderator

I don't know about the difference in tumor cells but I was told when I had my prostate removed that it was the male version of breast cancer.  I'm not clear on the exact reasoning but since there may be a genetic link my I told my son make sure he get check ups.  His mother also had b-cancer so there was a double reason diligence.  

Yes insurance companies can, and do code certain problems as male or female.  Men can get breast cancer.  One of my former bosses used to have regular mammograms since he was considered high risk.  He had gynecomastia. 

Jani

3% of breast cancer patients, as the article mentions, are cisgender males. 

Insurance coding is ridiculous at times.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Ravin said:

3% of breast cancer patients, as the article mentions, are cisgender males. 

My grandfather, bless him, was one of them.  He beat kidney, colon, and breast cancer.  Finally lost the fight when it showed up in his brain.  He was a tough old guy.  I do seem to remember him having to play tough old guy with his insurance company, too, in explaining to them that both men and women have breast tissue that can carry cancer cells.

• Forum Moderator

Thank you for posting this.  I do self exams but need to get out of this chair and get a mammogram.  It is important for any of us on HRT especially.

Hugs,

Charlize