Sign in to follow this  
Ravin

The Orville Episode 3: About A Girl

Ravin

This episode was very thought provoking. The context of it makes it a foregone conclusion that the future human society in the show:

1: uses the word "transgender" more or less correctly.

2: considers operations to alter the physical sex characteristics of an infant unethical

3: assumes that the alternative to 2 is for a child to figure out for themselves if how they are born fits who they are.

I don't want to give spoilers, but I quite enjoyed the episode and I think they handled the topic in an effective and realistic (within the show's context) way.

Carolyn Marie

Yes, I watched it too, and it was very well done, IMO.  it covered the right bases, but wasn't in-your-face about it.  No spoilers from me, either.  Just watch if you can.

Carolyn Marie

Laura Beth

I happened to find it on a channel up here in Canada and watched it. I wonder who it was that came up with the idea to have an episode about the issue. I also wonder how the actor/writer/ executive producer, Seth MacFarlane, feels about transgender people and our troubles that we face about surgeries and other medical needs. I would love to have another member of my family jungle to be accepting of transgender individuals even if he is my 11th cousin. 

Laura Beth

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• DenimAndLace
    • MaryEllen
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• tracy_j
      An interesting read!   One of the sayings I often use, Jani, is that the difference between a man and a women is that they each inherit a different set of problems.   Tracy
    • tracy_j
      It looks very peaceful Jani. I love the colours on the trees as well!   Tracy x  
    • tracy_j
      That's lovely to hear Amy x  
    • Carolyn Marie
      http://outinjersey.net/biden-endorses-transgender-candidate-in-virginia-election-race/   Carolyn Marie
    • SteamGirlEva
      I personally started by being very vocal about my support of LGBT issues. This was during the presidential election and I've been Dem my whole adult life so it wasn't very surprising. I also worked my butt off (literally) losing weight. I prepped my friends by showing them my favorite band, Steam Powered Giraffe, who has a trans female singer. They all reacted with a kind of "that's nice, good for her" attitude so I felt safe telling them. By putting subtle hints into every day life it lets you know how people feel about the topic before you out yourself.
    • SunnyKay
      Hi Arianna!!! I'm glad you introduced yourself! I know what you are going through.....I was such a sullen and broody individual before I finally THREW the curtains OPEN and faced my issues directly. I was a very moody person, and suffered some depression here and there but it turns out it was because I was not living for myself, and I was repressing who I really was. Anyway, fast forward to 38, and this year when I finally looked at myself in the mirror and started making changes. It can be a hard and scary journey though. I have never felt better, happier or more at ease with life than I do now....but the first steps were really scary. I hope only the best for you, Arianna......your doing the right thing! Go GIRL!  Kisses and Hugs,   Sunny Kay
    • Jani423
      Hello Amy.  Things certainly sound like they are heading in the right direction for you.  Your GP sounds great too.   Jani  
    • Jani423
      Glad to hear you're OK.    Jani
    • Jani423
      A very good essay.   Interestingly the comments were not incendiary.  I liked this (partial) reply to one, though it didn't speak to the scouting aspect of the essay.  "While the specifics of moving from male to female and female to male differ, the motivations are essentially the same: they are all about identity, and really have nothing to do with "the grass is greener on the other side." We transsexuals think about this long and hard (because all we hold dear is at-risk), and we realize that when we change, we are gaining the problems of one side whilst losing the problems of the other (and having transgender problems besides!), BUT most of find the new problems worth the joy of being true to ourselves - very very few of us go back."  Hopefully the prior commenter who seemed supporting learned something.     Changing my problems for new ones; thats an action I can understand!   Jani
    • Jani423
      Line up someone to assist you with daily activities like shopping, cleaning and the such for the first week or so afterwards.  You'll be tired and busy with "homework".   Jani 
  • Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Upcoming Events

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • TransPulse Partners