Sign in to follow this  
Angelgrlsue

Bicycling

Angelgrlsue

I just started a bicycling program and noticed that I no longer have any butt muscles left due to inactivity and the atrophy that hormones have done in that area, maybe it is not the hormones, I don't know, I just know that even with a padded bike seat cover that I placed on the bike seat, I am having severe pain in the upper thigh area, just where the butt cheeks begin, do you know where I mean?  Whenever I lean forward on the bike to hold onto the handlebars, the pain begins, so severe that I have to stop pedaling and get off the bike.  It is a trainer bike, in other words it is a regular touring bicycle on rollers.  I belong to a special bicycling club that is just for the blind and visually impaired in which we go out on riding events using tandem bicycles.  I just received a bike today and it was setup for me in my home by one of the members of the club who is a captain of a bike team.  Had my padded bike seat cover put on the seat with no problems.  Once I started pedaling for about five minutes, the pain began.  I ended up having to stop and get off the bike.  I took apart an old pillow I had and cut the foam into squares and stuffed those into my bike shorts to see if that would help. No, that did not help either.  The bike seat cover is made of foam too.  The only time I do not get that pain is when I sit up in the bike seat and not hold onto the handlebars.  I will not be able to do that when I go on the riding events though.  Are there any extra thick padded bike shorts that cover the entire buttocks area and thighs?  I want to be able to still ride a bike and get back into shape better. I use to be a biathlete. 

Jani423

Hormones will tend to shift where you fat reserves are and cause some muscle atrophy so that may be the issue.  I rode occasionally before my surgery without issue.  I'm at 4 months now and thinking I might try getting back on the saddle.  

You mention it is a trainer on rollers.  Does it have anything to do with not having to balance yourself while you're on it since its fixed onto the rollers?  

You might try readjusting the angle of the seat.  I know that is the one adjustment I regularly make to my bicycle since the body changes as we age, get stronger or weaker, heavier or leaner.  One day it can be fine and the next it needs a tweak.  

You might want to raise your handlebar stem also to change the geometry of your body related to the bike frame.

Have you considered one of those seats that looks like two kidney beans side by side.  You don't straddle it so much as your buttocks sit on it. I tried one once and it was interesting.  I Googled "two saddle bike seat" and found these, "Hobson Easyseat Ergonomical Dual Pad Bicycle Saddle" and "Gavin Gel Foam Anatomic Relief Bike Saddle Bicycle Seat" which are different takes on the theme.

Jani   

Angelgrlsue

Hi jani.  Not sure if the seat can be tilted or not, I know it can be raised up or down, he had to lower it at first and then had to raise it.  The bike seat is kidney shaped like you stated and unfortunately the handlebars are unable to raise, because they are a one piece unit attached to the bike frame.  Yes, the rollers and the entire system has the bike very secure so I will not lose my balance on the bike.  I will look at the bike seats you mentioned.  If there is some well padded bike capris or shorts, that would be even better.

Bike1A.jpg

Angelgrlsue

Hi Jani.  I was able to get the issue resolved.  A member of the bicycle club came over today with a new padded bicycle seat and he added my already padded bicycle seat cover to it, that took care of the discomfort.  He also raised the handlebars up so I would not have to reach over so far to grab onto them.  I clocked in 30 minutes of riding today with much better comfort.

Jani423

Very good!  I figured the handle bar could be raised at the stem, which brings the whole assembly up.   Happy Peddling!

Jani