• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Learning a New Language

Dev

• Admin

Conjugating verbs is hard, y'all.

I wanted to find out, from those of you who have done it, what methods you used.  I'm currently in the beginning stages of learning Spanish using the Rosetta Stone software.  More years ago than I care to count, I enrolled at the local Berlitz school to learn Spanish, and had a heck of a time with the verbs and tenses.  This time around - and I credit this to the Rosetta Stone method - it seems easier, but they hit me pretty early on expecting me to speak in complete sentences.  Surprised me so much the first time I was struck mute.

So what's your second language, how did you learn it, and how easily did it come to you?

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Conjugating verbs is hard, y'all. I wanted to find out, from those of you who have done it, what methods you used.  I'm currently in the beginning stages of learning Spanish using the Rosetta Stone software.  More years ago than I care to count, I enrolled at the local Berlitz school to learn Spanish, and had a heck of a time with the verbs and tenses.  This time around - and I credit this to the Rosetta Stone method - it seems easier, but they hit me pretty early on expecting me to speak in complete sentences.  Surprised me so much the first time I was struck mute. So what's your second language, how did you learn it, and how easily did it come to you?

Hhmmm....I do not seem to have much of a facility in language.  I have some capacity in Spanish; doing better w/ reading than speaking.  College & university classes in Spanish, but never really fluent.  What facility I have (had?) was mostly due to sheer exposure.  However, over the years, increasing access to translators & language lines actually seem to degrade what fluency I once possessed.  Interestingly enough though, even after years of using translators & language lines I was till able to occasionally pick up errors in what was being translated for me. 

Three semesters of German in university, but I'm afraid that my 3rd semester destroyed whatever little fluency I had, heretofore, possessed.  [The third semester was a technical & scientific translation course, and was designed to mechanistically attack & translate German sentences in  journals articles (i.e., "cookbook" German.]

Again, I don't thing I have much of an aptitude for foreign languages.  Glad to see that apparently something works.

• Admin

You're more apt for language than I if you managed German.  I thought it would be fun to learn German as that's pretty much my entire ancestry, but I failed miserably.  I seem to be more inclined toward Spanish.  So far, at any rate.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 99 Guests (See full list)

• Lorelei
    • Ashley0616
    • MaryEllen
    • Karen Carey
    • H_G
    • missyjo
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Delaney
    Newest Member
    Delaney

1. Dillon
      Dillon
    2. Kaylee888
      Kaylee888
    3. lily100
      lily100
      (39 years old)
    4. Luce
      Luce
      (44 years old)
    5. Luke.S
      Luke.S
    • Lorelei
      The bridal shower went very well. My wife, mother and I went. We bowled (I sucked at it) and went to a bar afterwards. I was totally accepted by my family and the brides friends. That is what I had been expecting from this side of my family. My one cousin who got married last year told me that she wished I had went as myself instead of listening to my mother telling me to go in boy mode. 
    • Mia Marie
      It doesn't just seem that it is, it actually is. aging trans people are left out of nearly 90% of all the help said to be available to transgender people.   Here in Texas, there are not many, if any actually created for aging transgender people. Planned Parenthood pretty much has only been active for trans youth, primarily, as of late. I can't even find legal help for discrimination cases that would help by allowing me to show that it is trans care related. By the way, I don't qualify for medicare as I am turning 55 this year. I also can't get Medicaid either.    Trans youths are not the only ones needing help. Aging trans need just as much help, BUT, are pushed aside as though we as older transgender people, do not matter. I agree the youth are our future, but until the youth decides to listen to what is being taught to them instead of thinking they know everything, the youth of the nation will be our demise. 
    • Birdie
      Wednesday CNA was rather agreeable today (unusual for her). She basically just stated, "you really need to read your bible." I answered, "yes thank you, I do!"   She wanted to tighten my bra bands and I told her I don't like them too tight.  She said, "oh yeah, yours are just fat and not milk ducts so they aren't heavy."   That started into a conversation about how a bra works, and that the band/gore support the majority of the weight. The bands just helps keep things aligned.    Also, my mammograms say, "scattered fibroglandular tissue" just like a third of women out there. They most definitely have milk glands. 
    • Charlize
      I have to wonder if interstate commerce laws might be violated here.    Hugs,   Charlize
    • Charlize
      This tread is based on the titling of a bill.  That is what the judges ruling spoke to.  Please keep on topic.  If one wishes to write about rest room funding one can start a topic.      Pity the title did not also mention restricting the rights of the parents who support their children.  Perhaps that is only important if a child tries to speak to a teacher about gender issues.  Then, suddenly, parental rights become important.   Hugs,   Charlize 
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Had my check up with my regular doctor and that went good.Even had the prostate checked,it was good with no blood on the q tip
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      What do you do when you feel triggered?
    • Heather Shay
      kind of in a null state
    • Heather Shay
      WEARINESS When stress from adverse or challenging events in life occur continually, you can find yourself in a state of feeling emotionally worn out and drained. This is called emotional exhaustion. For most people, emotional exhaustion tends to build up slowly over time.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Willow
    • April Marie
      Stunning, as always, Maddee!! I love those boots.

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.