• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

NHS prescription prepayment certificate

Shiratori

I thought this may be of use to those in the UK who are on two or more medications (blockers plus HRT, or multiple HRT meds). The NHS allow you to purchase a prescription prepayment certificate which lets you pay a lot less for your prescriptions.

A prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) lets you get as many NHS prescriptions as you need for a set price. If you regularly pay prescription charges, a PPC could save you money.

The current prescription charge in England is £8.60 per item. A PPC costs:
£29.10 for 3 months
£104 for 12 months

As you have to pay £8.60 per item this can be quite a saving for long-term meds like hormones and blockers.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/help-nhs-prescription-costs/prescription-prepayment-certificates

gY4OgQo.png

• Forum Moderator

Thank you for sharing this information Shiratori.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Thank you :)

Yes this does save a quite a bit for those with long time prescriptions. My partner, for one, has several medications she is continuously on and this works well. I have mentioned it before, but not taking hormones etc. I don't know the individual frequencies of doseage to advise, so best worked out individually.

There are other approaches possible, like, for example, private prescriptions too but these (if I remember rightly) are more useful if an individual prescription item is cheaper than the NHS prescription charge.

It is well worth following the link as it does explain those who are exempt all charges

Tracy