TaraWinter

MtF exercise tips. Please help.

TaraWinter

I am 5'10" and 220 pounds and I want to lose weight. What are some good workouts that will help with burning fat and tone without adding muscle.

Dev

Cardio, cardio, cardio.  A lot of trans women I know have had great success with getting into the habit of swimming every day or every other day.  It's very low-impact and works the body out without putting strain on the muscles.

You might also find this site helpful.  It has links to information about trans fitness for both MtF and FtM folks.

Jani

OK this is easy. Well determining what works is, implementation is a little more difficult as it involves human nature.  

Start walking.  Its low impact, gets the heart pumping and works a bunch of muscle groups.  After that, some basic exercises (sit ups, leg lifts, etc) or yoga.  I'm doing Hatha yoga which is low impact, stressing balance, breathing and stretching.   

Jani

TaraWinter
7 hours ago, Dev said:

Cardio, cardio, cardio.  A lot of trans women I know have had great success with getting into the habit of swimming every day or every other day.  It's very low-impact and works the body out without putting strain on the muscles.

You might also find this site helpful.  It has links to information about trans fitness for both MtF and FtM folks.

Thank you very much. I looked through the site and saw a few things I want to do. 

7 hours ago, Jani423 said:

OK this is easy. Well determining what works is, implementation is a little more difficult as it involves human nature.  

Start walking.  Its low impact, gets the heart pumping and works a bunch of muscle groups.  After that, some basic exercises (sit ups, leg lifts, etc) or yoga.  I'm doing Hatha yoga which is low impact, stressing balance, breathing and stretching.   

Jani

I hear a lot of good things about yoga but don't know where to start.

Thank you both. 

Love, Tara

Jani

I found a yoga class at the adult education office at the local school.  I didn't want anything too intimidating to start.  I am enjoying it.

Jani

CyndiRae

I'm with Jani, walking is such good medicine, make your routine as regular as possible and enjoy the benefits.

Swimming is great too

C -

Sandra6sandy9sand

Hi all, I love to walk and ride my bike for exercise.  When I finish my workout, I stretch out and do some balance exercises.  It’s all very important to keep your body and mind fit. 

Have fun and enjoy the sun.

Sandra

Sandra6sandy9sand

Hi all, I thought about my post earlier while I was walking this morning and for me to reduce my weight, I have to be consistent with my exercise program and, the hardest part of all, reduce my calorie intake.

What has worked for me in the past is to increase my calorie usage and cut back on what I eat and drink.  Sounds simple but...

Sandra

jae bear

Hi Tara, 

I started at 230 pounds a while ago ( down to 212 pounds as of yesterday ) and I have been eating mostly vegetables and salad plus protein with every meal to balance, I’ve cut out sugar and drink only water, plus a modest exercise routine at spin class for one hour and 15 minutes every day. Mind you I am not pushing myself hard in spin class I’m just working up a sweat, if I start breathing hard I back off a little until my breathing Doesn’t require huffing and puffing. I used to race  bicycles when I was very young, and focusing on your legs, which are really big muscles that burn a lot of calories, will give you some great-looking thighs! If you don’t want to put any muscle on it’s really quite easy, don’t push too hard and just work up a good sweat, burning those calories is an easy job, just let those large muscles do the work for you. I also love the idea of walking, but with my bad knee it is just is not an option. As soon as the weather warms up around here I will be taking advantage of the pools at our apartment, as I love to swim. Since I’m still in boy mode at ten months HRT I’m going to have to find a way to cover my top for now. HRT is definitely working even if I’m terribly impatient...

Hugs,

Jae

Jamiexo

I would agree with Jae Bear. If you want to loose weight it is more about what you put in your body. Eat low sodium, low saturated fats, and reduce sugar. The easiest way to do this is when you grocery store stay on the perimeters and try not to buy things with labels (Fresh produce, lean meat, fruits, nuts, etc). Stay away from breads they are loaded with sugars. If you do need to buy foods that have been processed (packages, boxes, bags, etc), make sure to read the label and ingredients. A little trick is if you read something and can't pronounce it. Don't eat it!

It is much more difficult to control calorie count by working them off then it is allowing them into your body. However, being active does have many great benefits! My recommendation is to do activities you enjoy and maybe dable in new actives such as yoga! If you want to get in good shape try to be active 30-60 minutes a day hitting your recommended target heart rate. Not only will your body feel better but your mood will be better too! Exercise can be daunting so it important to do what you like and stick to it! Habits are hard to break (and form) so make a plan to execute your exercise daily. 

Best of luck!