• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Estridal patches how do you keep them on

Rachael

I switched from pills to patches. The first one stayed on, but this one is coming loose I have taped it. The pharmacist said to put it on the arm but the directions clearly said lower abdomen and lower back. I am guessing it's just something I am doing wrong. Just curious how you get along with them. 

Thanks. 

• Forum Moderator

I like the patch method.  I put mine on my back side.  The instructions say I can apply them to my abdomen but my skin there is more sensitive.

I learned to wipe the area with witch hazel and let it dry before placing the patches.  Then I use Opsite Flexifix tape to cover them individually (I wear several).  This is a thin skin-like tape that I bought on Amazon.  Another brand is Tagamet.  I use the 2" wide tape and I cut pieces a little longer than needed.  I learned to round the corners so my underwear doesn't chafe and lift the edges.  If your patches are too wide then just overlap two pieces of the Flexifix.   Hold your hand over the patch for a moment to let the warmth help bind the adhesive better to your skin.   I keep them away from the waist and leg bands on my underwear.  I rarely have issues now with patches releasing.   

The tape isn't cheap but a roll is almost 11 yards long so it lasts a long time.  I think it is well worth it.  It can be a bit awkward putting all this on my rear so I use the bathroom mirror to help.  You might try your abdomen.   

Jani

• Admin

I use patches now, after some recovery from a blood clot in my right leg two years ago.  When I told my Endo that my patches only lasted about 3 days out of the 7, she simply put me on the 3 day program and upped the number of patches she prescribed for a 3 month supply.  My co-pay covers either amount of the patches for the time they last.  What I notice is that when the main part of the patch falls off, there is a semi-film over the site, our other suspicion is that even with the cover off, that my top layer of skin has absorbed the full dose from the "glue" which is the vehicle for the Estrodile.  I have put them on my shoulder blade skin as well as on my back end or my thighs but not the arms themselves, but that skin does stay drier which seems to have something to it for staying.  I cannot put them on my abdomen since I need that area for my Insulin shots.

• Forum Moderator

I started off with patches and like you they wouldn't stay on.  My work on the farm is often active enough to perspire and they simply couldn't handle that.  For a period of time i used a cream and had better luck but now i'm using a spray which absorbs quickly(20 min.) and otherwise isn't an issue.  

Hugs,

Charlize

Thanks,  the switch is to help reduce the the chance of blood clots . Like you VickySGV I had blood clots in my right leg also about 2009 I think. I have tape on the patch it came loose around the edge some and seems better for the time being. I have a introductory meet/appointment with the new dr on Friday so will mention this. 3-4 days sounds better, the spray might work also. The new dr is not familiar with hormone therapy so it will be a learning experience for both of us. But I am so glad she agreed to take us on as patients as our other doctor is closing her practice and moving.

Charlize, I am sure when summer comes I will sweat more and have more problems. 

Hi Rachel,

I've been using patches since starting HRT and have had a learning curve. I was prescribed 7 day patches and the first one fell off within three days, and I only got 5 days out of the second but thankfully I was able to get an early refill on script to compensate that month. I started cleaning the skin better before application with an alcohol prep pad, letting it dry well, then actually pressing the patch on the skin for 10 or 15 seconds with my palm. This helped quite a bit, but I am pretty active and dance a lot so the perspiration had a tendency to cause a bit of separation. 

After some recent blood tests, I found out my E was still low, so the script was changed to a stronger dose and a bi-weekly patch. This was a good thing, because getting 3 or 4 days out of a patch is much easier than 7! So far no problems with adhesion...YAY!!! But the edges to get kinda gross when they pick up lint and such...

Jani, I like your Flexitape idea! I'll likely need to put it to use when I start running in the spring since I don't want to take an additional pill. I also really like the spray idea too.

Hugs,

Sunny Kay

• Forum Moderator

What I learned when I had a patch become unattached was to re-clean the area and put it back on.  The estradiol is still present so use it.   In these cases it is best to use another adhesive.  

I have had good luck with the tape, only having a couple patches come loose at an edge and water getting in during a shower.  I would peel it off, dry the area and re-apply with new tape.  This has only happened when I was very active and stretched a lot when my skin flexed more than the patch.  :(

Jani

• Admin
Just now, Jani423 said:

when my skin flexed more than the patch.  

This is an important point that I overlooked a bit earlier.  You do want the patch in areas where your skin does not flex or pull around much which can happen primarily near your joints but there are some places on your rear end where it does become a problem. 

• Forum Moderator

Use baby oil to soften it then wipe is off.  Aa an alternative to that, I'm sure olive oil should work too. 

Jani

I found some tape at the house so I taped around the edge that seems to be holding for now. It only came loose on the top fortunately it did not come clear off. Thanks for all the replies. 

Jani423 I see your point about rounding the corners?

• 5 weeks later...

I was using more than one patch at a time for on therapy. You run out of go spaces and,i sweat easily. I got a leotard and wore it over the patches. That worked pretty well.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rachel Gia

I have not posted not posted on this thread up till now as the answers are in the thread but when all else failed I followed the directions in the box to the letter and have had no issues since doing so.

I press an hold for 15 seconds rather than 10.

Tight clothing will peel them off. ie Spanx leggings.

As said above Arms and legs did not work as the muscles flex too much.

• Forum Moderator

I’ve been using estradot patches, but I put a fabric tape like adhesive body tape over them... I do apply under the belly on one side or the other and I found it is fairly easy to roll the tape residue off with your fingertips after drying off from a shower.

hugs,

Jae

Thanks everyone. I am getting along better now rotating left to right on the front below the navel some stay and some do not seems odd.

Guest Rachel Gia

That sounds odd that some are not sticking. On the instructions in the box there are diagrams as to where to apply them.

I surmise you are on one patch bi weekly due to the left right rotation.

I also would not intellectualize it too much by thinking that if one puts it close to the groin that things will work faster or more efficiently. For instance , I have never stuck one to my chest hoping for better breast development.

Since I have stuck to the following I have had no issues with them sticking.

- I have a shower and almost always shave and wash the areas that I might be applying.

- I lightly towel dry and then finish my coffee and wait for my skin to dry properly.

- I decide on the spots where I will stick them and make sure there is no glue in that area.

- peel off one side of the backing holding the other unpeeled side and then apply and smooth from the exposed back to the unpeeled back and smooth in that same direction while unpeeling ensuring there are no bubbles or creases.

- Finally I press firmly in a variety of ways for 15 seconds.

The shower is part of it as I have been in a hurry and tried just washing the area but it came off in 2 days . I surmise a good rinse is needed.

I know its long winded but my only problem now is getting them off because they are really stuck.

I wear one patch and change weekly. I have it where it shows in the directions on the front. I have not tried the lower back I am not sure I could get them on very easy. I find it odd I have gotten them for 5 months now and they all have the same lot and expiration number. Probably just operator error. Thanks for the help.