• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Progesterone Problems

TessaOKC

Ive been on hrt for 3 years, a  high dose of estradiol each day (yes I know it's higher than normal, doc prescribed) and spiro. I started on progesterone last month. The first time I noticed extreme bitchiness and mood swings, enough that I stopped. I tried again weeks later and the same symptoms plus depression.

I'm also 50 and I question the benefits of progesterone.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had a bad ride with progesterone and if you think the benefits are worth the risk???

Thanks so much,

Tess

• Forum Moderator

First let me say that i removed the actual dosages you mentioned.  Dosages are strictly forbidden in the forums as too many try to self medicate with terrible side effects.  

From what you have mentioned i would talk to your doctor.  I know my MD who is quite well known as a leading surgeon and expert in transition rarely or ever prescribes progesterone due to the well documented side effects.  Please talk to your doctor and i would think a second opinion may be a good idea.

Hugs,

Charlize

• Root Admin

Hello Tessa,

For the safety of other members who may be tempted to emulate your medication dosage without being prescribed by a doctor, the posting of dosages is not allowed. See rule 12 of the site rules. Thanks for understanding.

MaryEllen :)

12 You may not share the dose of any medication you are taking, including hormones. What works for you may well be fatal for someone else.

• Forum Moderator

One of the known side effects of progesterone is depression so I would talk to your doctor about your experiences and determine if this is really something you need.  

Jani 

The last time I saw my doctor in November I asked about progesterone being added. She didn't think it was wise because there was no evidence that it is any benefit to MTF individuals. She also follows the guide line set out by WPATH so that's my 2 cents on the subject.

Laura Beth

Thank  you everyone for your input. Yeah, didn't realize the dosage no no on this site. Happy New Year everyone!

Hi Tessa! I've been on HRT for around 3 months (ish) and I take progesterone too. I too have had teething issues with it. For me I just started taking the full prescribed dose without ramping up, and it took a while to figure out what hormones where doing what....I did end up cutting out Progesterone for 4 days once, and then another time for about 6 days because I was really irritable and hard to deal with. Occasionally I will just take a day off of it because I feel like it's hard on my body.

As it turns out, progesterone was part of the irritability problem, and taking a few breaks really helped out. Somehow, I gravitated back towards it and it stopped contributing to my moodiness. So, at this point I take it just about every day, and will do until my prescription runs out. No problems anymore.

The endo that I see advised me to take it for the first 6 months and then discontinue it. The dose is probably on the low side.

In terms of breast development for me......it seems to have a noticeable impact. My girls are really starting to grow!

One interesting thing is that sometimes within the first hour or two of taking it, my breasts ACHE like all get out.....!!!! Today was like that, and I could barely handle my lab coat on at work. I was walking around for a while with my arms crossed, trying to stop anything from brushing up against them. That included clothing. Usually for progesterone for me, that means its super sensitive right behind the nipple area.

Hope you find something here useful. It good to hear from others taking the same meds. 

Take care!

Sunny Kay

Sunny Kay,

Thanks so much for your response. So I'll give you the details, lucky you!!! Starting taking it months ago and it was not easy with the mood swings but I toughed it out and got over it. I got a terrible rash on my legs and the doc wanted to make sure it wasn't the Progesterone so I discontinued it. Ended up being poison oak so a month later back on the progesterone I go. OMG, I grew three heads all of which could spin a full 360!!!! Depression then kicked in, it was depression on steroids I swear!! So I self discontinued again. Since returning to my human form I look at that pill bottle as the lurking monster in the closet!!! lol

My breasts have grown considerably (3 years HRT) full B cups. I took the progesterone just months ago so it was late in my hrt. I will prolly try the every other day option you have adopted. My doc said that as well. Stay tuned!!

I'm sorry for your experience but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I just want to do whatever i can to reach full potential as a trans female so when progesterone was offered it was a no brainer. Your poor breasts and that terrible lab coat!!! lol  I remember the early breast pain and how painfully awesome it was! LOL

I sure hope your transition is going well and nice meeting you!!!

Hugs,

Tess

On 1/2/2018 at 1:40 AM, Laura Beth said:

The last time I saw my doctor in November I asked about progesterone being added. She didn't think it was wise because there was no evidence that it is any benefit to MTF individuals. She also follows the guide line set out by WPATH so that's my 2 cents on the subject.

Laura Beth

Thanks Laura Beth,

I heard the same but hang onto the "What if" !!! I'm off it again but ramping up for another try!!!!

Tess

Tess! You're so funny.............

15 hours ago, TessaOKC said:

Since returning to my human form I look at that pill bottle as the lurking monster in the closet!!! lol

Tess,

So you are pursing the Progesterone! I think I always think it's best to try....it's hard for me NOT to try anyways, and I'm always curious too. If someone told me not to take it I'd probably find some way to see if it worked. I guess that's just the way I'm wired. I also got lucky getting to see an Endo that didn't take issue with it. But, I will be pleased when I don't take it anymore since I generally avoid pills of any sort if possible.

It's interesting to me that you are already so far along your transition and you are only taking it now. I hope it works for you! You are lucky to have attained B-Cup status! Good for you!

I guess the worst case scenario is, you simply have to stop taking it which is not really a bad deal in my opinion if it stops the problematic symptoms. 

So nice to hear your experiences, it's always wonderful to get someone's take on the details of the HRT experience. 

Fuzzy Hugs,

Sunny Kay  

• Forum Moderator

Please be very careful.  The studies on women who used progesterone showed such a high injury and mortality rate that they were ended.  That is the main reason why WPATH does not recommend it's use.  For me or any with any heart issues it is definitely terrible as it can be for anyone who plays with it without strict medical supervision. 

As to breast growth and tenderness, my girls grew just fine.  I was painfully aware of in the process on a low dose of a topical estrogen.

One small hint while they are growing is to get some pads to give them a bit of a bumper.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 2 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

I have only had 4 cycles of the progesterone so far... I do ramp up and down in a 10 to 12 day cycle, but I felt pretty darn nice getting on for the first 4 days, the rest of the cycle I just felt normal, then 3 or so days after ending the cycle I definitely felt a touch bitchy... I did have some lobular formation and growth that I did not have prior to taking progesterone, but there is no concrete way to link the two events as it could have just been timing as well. I remember the ouchies went away that first cycle, and the firmer duct tissues that were easy to palpate under the surface of the nipple softened and have gone away since starting the progesterone. Again, it could just be timing...

Hugs,

Jae

While in the hospital last year for an infection on my leg, they did an ultrasound and found a blood clot, which my doctor was convinced was caused by taking progesterone and he highly recommended I stop taking it. Well, my endo said going cold turkey with progesterone is a bad idea, so she suggested during the following 3 months while I take a blood thinner, to quickly wean myself off progesterone. My moods became more stable since I stopped taking it, and my family celebrated. 

I'm not entirely convinced it did much for breast development or even breast fullness. It may have been wishful thinking on my part. I was already on HRT for several years prior to starting this. In fact, since I was doing injections, my previous endo told me I didn't need to take progesterone but I could if I wanted to try it and see if it helped development.

I was hoping to grow some big ol' hooters on it but that didn't happen.

Since then, I thought maybe milk or beef that farmers injected with growth hormones would do for me what it did to so many of my lady friends but of course now everything is all "no growth hormones added". 

Can't catch a break, I tell ya.... :unsure:

• Forum Moderator

HA! Yup, I have to agree that I don’t think the progesterone did much to help breast growth... but then I have not taken it very long. I don’t think I will continue with it after my endo ramps up my E, although I too had visions of giant sugar plumbs in my head!? What the boob faery does not bring I shall amend with top surgery... I hear Tyson chicken is loaded with the breast hormones that make chickens explode! Might have to eat a lot of nuggets to get anything from it, but then again I do like nuggets and hot mustard!

Hugs,

Jae

16 hours ago, jae bear said:

but then again I do like nuggets and hot mustard!

Hot mustard dipping sauce is the best sauce!

Tyson chicken, you say? I may have to look into that....:D

• 1 month later...

Every body is different. I've been on micronized Progesterone and Estradiol for 20 years now following a bi-lateral orchiectomy with good results. First of all Provera isn't Progesterone which I'd never use. Next is the fact that I started it after being surgically neutered which put me in the same status as a post menopausal female who still has her female organs, but the ovaries which produce estrogen and progesterone have effectively dried up and are ineffective. They go on HRT with estrogen and progesterone to maintain some semblance of youthfulness. Their breasts continue to remain full rather than turning into empty looking flat saggy bags. In some cases they become larger like my wife a petite women who went from a big B/small C to a D.  It's the result of a combination of the two and especially the progesterone that does it.