• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sensible Dressing for MTF

TessaOKC

My top 3 stores are Torrid (fun and fit well, some business appropriate, some edgy), New York and Company (business appropriate, and very stylish, also some cute dresses and good selection of accessories), and dress barn (occcasionaly a good dress and some business appropriate attire). These all carry my size (14-16), though Torrid is a plus size store and have a different size scale.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 7:59 AM, MarcieMarie12 said:

My top 3 stores are Torrid (fun and fit well, some business appropriate, some edgy), New York and Company (business appropriate, and very stylish, also some cute dresses and good selection of accessories), and dress barn (occcasionaly a good dress and some business appropriate attire). These all carry my size (14-16), though Torrid is a plus size store and have a different size scale.

Thanks Marcie. I just found a western store that sells really cool jeans with a variety of sizes. www.langstons.com

When I started living full time just under 2 years ago I tried to wear as much age appropriate styles that I could find(67 years old) as I could find in thrift stores.As I have been able to lose wait I have gone from a plus size 2x 20-22 to a 1x 16-18, as my confidence has gone up I find myself trying to be a little more stylish, and as HRT after 20 months has change my body somewhat especially my thighs and rear end  a site that I used earlier in transition when I did not feel comfortable going into stores was Women Within, moderitly priced and yet stylish that for someone my age that I don't feel frumpy.---------Formerly known as claire100

31 minutes ago, claire1000 said:

When I started living full time just under 2 years ago I tried to wear as much age appropriate styles that I could find(67 years old) as I could find in thrift stores.As I have been able to lose wait I have gone from a plus size 2x 20-22 to a 1x 16-18, as my confidence has gone up I find myself trying to be a little more stylish, and as HRT after 20 months has change my body somewhat especially my thighs and rear end  a site that I used earlier in transition when I did not feel comfortable going into stores was Women Within, moderitly priced and yet stylish that for someone my age that I don't feel frumpy.---------Formerly known as claire100

Hi Claire,

I have ordered so many things from Woman Within, really like them and they make it easy to return unwanted items. Matter of fact they include a return back and label, really easy!!!

Tess

4 hours ago, TessaOKC said:

Hi Claire,

I have ordered so many things from Woman Within, really like them and they make it easy to return unwanted items. Matter of fact they include a return back and label, really easy!!!

Tess

that was one of the main reasons I bought from them, what I did want could go back with ease

• 5 weeks later...

This was a really good article! Ignore the one reader comment who said "nobody wears boot cut jeans any more" uh, yeah, I do, and they still make bootcut jeans, and bootcut jeans are fantastic for minimizing big feet (I also wear black skater shoes which also helps make them look smaller, add to that the boot cut which tends to cover up from the ankle to the tongue of the shoe.

I'm plus size (very plus size) and the majority of my clothes are either Torrid or Lane Bryant (mostly the tank tops from LB). Torrid has great jeans if you like their style. I've never had a problem finding bootcut jeans in my size from them.

The author's mention of using color to your advantage is really good as well, and I practically applauded at the mention of no cap sleeves. Cap sleeves are soooo unflattering, especially with our bodies. I could find a super cute top in my size but if it has cap sleeves or really tiny sleeves, it's going back on the shelf.

And my personal rule for clothes shopping: don't buy anything just to have it or "I might wear it some day". If you're not excited to wear it that night or tomorrow, don't buy it! Chances are if you're not excited to wear it now, you won't be excited to wear it later....and it'll be a waste of money that could have been better spent on something you love.

Also don't buy underwear that's going to pinch your bits and be uncomfortable all day. Life's too short for that nonsense. ^_^

• Forum Moderator

THIS!!!

Just now, Lizzie McTrucker said:

And my personal rule for clothes shopping: don't buy anything just to have it or "I might wear it some day". If you're not excited to wear it that night or tomorrow, don't buy it! Chances are if you're not excited to wear it now, you won't be excited to wear it later....and it'll be a waste of money that could have been better spent on something you love.

Only buy what you love.  Then love what you buy and wear it.  

Jani

16 hours ago, Jani said:

Only buy what you love.  Then love what you buy and wear it. 

I agree wholeheartedly, Jani. I've started to accumulate an odd collection of clothing that I've become attached to. My new favorite black hat was probably worn to church by an older lady,  but I love it and wear it often. I buy everything used and really enjoy the hunt. Sure, I have a long way to go in filling my closet but I'm getting there.

I've also learned that feedback from others can be deflating and unreliable. The above hat was called "hideous" by one female friend, and two others liked it as much as I do. All in all, I'm learning to trust my instincts. My clothes are an extension of "me", the woman inside.

Gwen

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, Gwen said:

All in all, I'm learning to trust my instincts. My clothes are an extension of "me", the woman inside.

You need to set your own style, so to speak.  If you get lots of negative feedback then it might be time to reconsider your approach.   

I like that there are lots of great clothes in second hand stores for very reasonable prices!

Jani 

On 2/27/2018 at 1:31 PM, Gwen said:

I've also learned that feedback from others can be deflating and unreliable. The above hat was called "hideous" by one female friend, and two others liked it as much as I do. All in all, I'm learning to trust my instincts. My clothes are an extension of "me", the woman inside.

It's why you never put all your eggs in one basket. Having a variety of friends with different styles can open you up style-wise to a number of different ideas and inspirations. Consider your friend audience as well: while some of my friends love that I'm dabbling in retro looks periodically, a few think including retro-style lingerie underneath is a little over the top (for them). Meanwhile my lingerie-loving friends are over the moon about my recent acquisition of a few garter belts and stockings.

So yeah, as you're doing already, get a variety of opinions and go by a general consensus. If everyone loves it, by all means get it. If it's a mixed bag, then go by how *you* feel about it (don't get it if you don't love it!) and if the general consensus is "no, put it back" then most likely you should put it back.

Age appropriate is a tough one for me. Even in guy clothes i always seemed to have a style that was about 10 years younger. I guess maybe it is more about dressing for the occasion? Thoughts?

Many thanks,

Jenny

Hahaha, I wish I could figure out that thing about age-appropriate clothing. People usually underestimate my age by up to 15 years, so regardless of gender I wouldn't know if to go by my actual age, the age people think I am or somewhere in between. And then again, what even is age-appropriate androgynous clothing? :blink: I guess I just keep playing by ear. :D

This is such a good discussion! We haven't had a lifetime of fashion-learning to understand what's right and wrong with our clothing. I can recall girls in high school who dressed waaaay outside of the norm, and I secretly envied them for having the courage to wear whatever the heck they wanted. I'm similar to Terry, in that I'm not sure of my internal age. I seem to be drawn to clothes a woman in her twenties would wear and I have no desire to wear anything that suits my actual age - 61. I'm assuming this will sort itself out, but in the meantime it's enjoyable to see what the female me wants to wear :)

Gwen

I went shopping with my wife today and I was pointing out outfits that I thought were more age appropriate. She said they would make me look older! Lol. Settled on a couple casual shirts from Maurice's and a cute jacket. She thinks I have the ability to pass better when I dress a little younger. It made me feel great! Ultimately I think you just need to find the style you feel confident in. Passing is about 80% confidence anyway!

Jenny, I agree that confidence is key to passing. After seeing your picture I think you would pass in whatever you wear. I remember when I was 11 or 12 thinking, "what if I'm still like this and have to wear 'grandma' clothes?" Well now I am old (older that dirt:o LOL!!!!) and I'm lucky that I can wear clothes that are both age appropriate and fashionable. Wear what you are comfortable with and that you like.

Hugs,

Brandi

Thank you so much for the kind words Brandi! Can't wait to see what hrt can do for me! 

Love and hugs!

Jenny

• Forum Moderator

Oh how I wish I were cute enough to wear some nice things, but everything is still changing and looking in the mirror every morning I can’t figure out what shape I am apple or pear, something else, oh well. Maybe in a year or two things will be  vastly different, but I do love my jeans, and boot cut works fine for me, T-shirts are my friend and I love my flannels, even if sometimes it’s too warm to wear them, the more think about it the more I’m aware that my clothing choices are neither female or male, but somewhere in the middle, I think I’ll just go for a small push towards female and call it a day until I feel I’m cute enough to do something that looks really good. Then again, once the top surgery gets done that’s really going to throw Everything out of whack, I’ll have to rethink my T-shirts and flannels, or maybe not, I don’t know yet. And the side of me that wishes I would simply wake up as a girl and share my wife’s closet lives in Fantasy but I’m still looking for someone with a magic wand or maybe a leprechaun or two to catch, I keep putting out traps for the boob faery, but so far no luck...

squishy hugs,

Jae