• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Talking in a feminine voice

michel2543

There are a number of things that together will help you attain your desired voice. Much of it is psychological--it is adjusting your motor memory in the way you speak. If you're tired, your voice quality suffers. Stay hydrated and rested. You can gently massage your neck and SCL muscles. The bones in your throat can be gently massaged into place. Practice your pitch by taking simple vocal lessons. Very important is to focus on upper part of your throat when you speak. Your voice will get stressed if you are pumping air from the upper body. Use your belly as bellows and let the lower muscles do the hard work of sending air. Focus on your upper throat as you speak. Imagine a point towards the upper part of your throat and your voice will resonate at that pitch. I was invited to join the choir at my new church. I soon discovered I was singing in 2nd soprano, smack in the middle range of all the other ladies. 

• Forum Moderator

I've been playing around with this and that talking to the dog or messing around with my kids (plausible excuse to do so) but I still sound precisely like a man making a silly voice.

Bummer-

oh well...

Hugs,

Jae

• 2 months later...

I love this advice from the OP. Working and massaging your throat muscles will work over time, but don't expect immediate result. It took an awful long time for my voice to sound like a woman's voice in daily speaking. I always had a Tenor higher pitched voice as a male in my younger days so that helped a bit when transitioning. I would say my voice is more an Alto speaking voice or lower speaking female voice, but it is distinguished as a female voice over a male voice.

• Admin

Excellent advice, Michel.  Thank you.  As others have said, practice, practice, practice.

Carolyn Marie

• 1 month later...

LoL... I think I am the luckiest transgirl ever! I get worried peeps here are gonna get jealous...

My boyfriend and I were joking around lastnight when he made an off-handed comment and I retorted immediately, "Let me tell you! sista gurl-friend!  Y'all got nuttun on ME! So back off biatch!" Complete with thick, midpitched, Southern Georgia/Northern JAXsonville, Flawidaw accent, hand on hip and all chicken-necked to boot!!!

He responded with exuberance, "That's it! There's your girlspeak! Georgia peach, educated at University of Florida, Palatka and Gainesville, Florida. 1986!!!

ZIP-POW!!!  Unrehearsed as though I was born to it...

In reality I was a lost puppy so i elected to go towards Culinary Certifiation and music and became a Chef; although I acquired a natural understanding of the Southern dialect, I also got married and learned about puberty and teenage angst helping raise 2 stepchildren... Girls"

Their Mother couldn't understand how I could possibly understand menses and other girl issues?

Her first born is gay. She couldn't accept him so I was not about to tell her I am transfemale. LoL

Anyway there a my girlspeak. Telephone tested today! Mid 80s Gator!

• Forum Moderator

Wow that’s totally awesome sauce !  Of course that’s the only proper response for someone in the  culinary arts! I’ve been working on my voice rather regularly in the car going to work, and I’ve gotten very used to cranial resonance and allowing my pitch to be a natural range for my typical speaking, I haven’t pushed pitch at all yet and honestly I’m pretty close, or so says my voice coach. I plan on continuing to work at this for the next year, and my voice coach has excepted me for weekly visits so I’m very excited.

You go girlfriend !!!!

Hugs,

Jae

• 6 months later...

This is a recording of my voice. It’s all in the inflection and resonance which admittedly can be difficult at times but it isn’t beyond us.

22 minutes ago, Jani said:

Very nice Natalie!  You sound completely natural.  

Thanks. That is the result of several years of training maybe more if you consider the four years of Clearanet playing in middle school and high school.

5 minutes ago, MaryMary said:

I always had problems with my voice. Never been able to reach that level of feminine sounding voice (and when I was supposed to have masculine voice never was able to reach a good male voice either, lol) . It takes hard work, bravo! :)

I think that one of my problem is that I push air not in an ideal way. I would love to have a road map of things to do to reach that kind of voice, lol  But I've spent far too much time in a speech therapist office for my own good.

Thanks. I’m sure you can do it. One thing I did starting out was doing the singing exercises. It will help strengthen the muscles and get you used to controlling your vocal chords. Another aspect is a little bit more difficult to explain but you project your voice forward. You can find it with the word ah and adjust your voice until you feel your mouth vibrating.

Inflection is by far the hardest part but practice makes perfect. Maybe think of the voice as a instrument and practice using it in private to get your voice where you want.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum Moderator

Impressive voice samples, Rithia.  That sounds perefectly cis female. ?

6 hours ago, Susan R said:

Impressive voice samples, Rithia.  That sounds perefectly cis female. ?

Thanks. Sometimes I don’t feel like it’s good. It took a lot of training and practice.

5 hours ago, Susan said:

Here is a readout from an app I used. I was not even trying to change my voice to. Hugs!

Screenshot_20190203-033353_Voice Pitch Analyzer.jpg

If you post a recording of your voice I can try and help with tips.

Just now, Susan said:

What app did you use so I can use it so you can hear my voice? I do sing alot.

It’s called the Voice Analyst. I think was $9.99. You can have it track your pitch and/or volume to help you with learning how inflect with tone instead of primarily volume level. You can also set a pitch line so that you can see while recording in real time if you fall over or below to help keep the voice from sliding.

It is also important to note that falsetto is not the voice you are looking for. Instead even with a lower voice and inflection/resonance a voice can be perceived as feminine.

• Forum Moderator
7 hours ago, RithiaAllen said:

It’s called the Voice Analyst. I think was $9.99. You can have it track your pitch and/or volume to help you with learning how inflect with tone instead of primarily volume level. You can also set a pitch line so that you can see while recording in real time if you fall over or below to help keep the voice from sliding.

Cool tip, thanks Rithia !

C -

• Forum Moderator

This is what I need to track my progress.  My wife is good at constructive critism and will always be useful but the app makes it less personal.

Susan R?

Just now, Susan R said:

This is what I need to track my progress.  My wife is good at constructive critism and will always be useful but the app makes it less personal.

Susan R?

You can skype me too if you want to practice.

• Forum Moderator
1 hour ago, RithiaAllen said:

You can skype me too if you want to practice.

Will do this for sure, Rithia.  Thanks for the offer.

Susan R?

• Forum Moderator

I am doing singing as Susan does. I also use the same app. I am working on my voice little by little.

Kymmie

Voice is so important. It's a lot of work getting consistent and sounding natural. Voice lessons with a good teacher can expedite the process. My teacher was a lovely trans woman with a perfectly feminine voice and manner of speech. She teaches the anatomy and physiology behind vocalization and how we can use this knowledge to our advantage to change our voice into a natural sounding female voice. The exercises and feedback she gave were a real confidence booster. I highly recommend finding a good voice feminization teacher for anyone transitioning. HRT doesn't affect the AMAB voice the way it does the AFAB voice.