• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Sign in to follow this  
Gwen

Spiro woes :(

Gwen

I just passed the 3 week mark on HRT and can't believe I'm moving towards my gender goals. This makes me tearful just thinking about it. But ... I've hit a wall. I've had neuropathy in my feel for a year or so, and the Spiro appears to be making it much worse. I now have new burning and new pain and know I can't stay on the medication. I'm waiting for my endo to get back to me with a solution, but having to wait over the weekend leaves me filled with worry. Does anyone know of other alternatives? Is there hope?

Gwen writing on a cold rainy morning.

VickySGV

Spironolactone (Spiro) / Aldactone is primarily meant to lower the blood's water content to help with high blood pressure issues.  The effect on Testosterone is a side effect that for us is desirable, and other natal males quite a disaster.  The other thing it can do is make your potassium levels rise which can affect nerves and muscles.  The resulting muscle pain does happen but in time does subside as your body gets used to it.  It does require monitoring by blood tests and handled as soon as it becomes a problem.  If it is seriously making pain worse, get the doctor to act NOW.  No waiting!!  There are other medications that can lower your T, and I do have friends who have never had Spiro, only Estrogen who do splendidly.  If you are stopping the Spiro it is important the doctor knows immediately. 

Jani

Yes to what Vicky has said.  Also you MUST stay hydrated to the point where you think you've had too much, particularly as you start.  My Potassium count went up and my doctor warmed me that I needed to keep up with fluids.  The good news is that eventually your body will acclimate and you won't need to run to the bathroom as frequently.   

Jani

Gwen

Thanks Vicky and Jani for this sound advice. I find myself drinking water 24/7 and have come to enjoy it!

It will be nice to get this resolved, because I seem to be facing my primary fear in deciding whether to begin HRT - problems with medication. I'll be switching to the patch soon too, so I won't have to worry about clots so much.

Hugs

Gwen

Rachael

Hope you can get it straightened out soon. 

it’s interesting you mention the foot pain, I seem to have more foot pain. Thanks for the info. 

VickySGV

I still take the Spiro even after GCS because of my blood pressure (another diuretic crashes my potassium) and part of the label reads "take for swollen ankles" which does give a hint to the foot thing.

jae bear

Hi Glenn, I have neuropathy in my right leg as well as sciatic nerve pain from the old motorcycle accident, and I can very much sympathize with your issue. I did notice a rise in pain but drinking enough water and staying away from salt has kept the pain to a minimum, and I don’t plan on stopping since it does help greatly with my blood pressure. I would definitely talk with your doctor but you may want to take time with this as there was a bit of a learning curve for me, my water intake, and my dietary habits, there may be a way to make this function for you but  talking with your doctor about it will be the best first step. 

Hugs,

Jae

jae bear

Oh my gosh stupid auto text I am so sorry Gwen! Of course just trying to write this it then tried to change your name to Nguyen!

Charlize

I suffered from some massive leg cramps when using Spiro.  I got into the habit of making a gallon of green tea every night and having it the next day as a cool drink.  My fluid intake went way up which i think is overall a good thing.  It did help with the cramps as well.  I also did some research on the potassium content of various foods and made some effort to limit some with very high levels.

I certainly understand your desire to be on a patch.  Topical E is much less likely to cause clotting.  I've always been using a topical E and am quite satisfied with the results.

Please do keep in contact with your doctor and make sure you have blood tests on a regular basis usually more often in the early years.

Hugs,

Charlize

Gwen
12 hours ago, Rachael said:

it’s interesting you mention the foot pain, I seem to have more foot pain. Thanks for the info. 

You are welcome, Rachael. My foot pain/burning issues were minor before starting HRT and they got much worse within a few weeks. It wakes me up at night. I've been stretching more and hope my doctor has an easy fix. It's a long journey. I want to be ready for it :)

3 minutes ago, Charlize said:

I suffered from some massive leg cramps when using Spiro.  I got into the habit of making a gallon of green tea every night and having it the next day as a cool drink.  My fluid intake went way up which i think is overall a good thing.  It did help with the cramps as well.  I also did some research on the potassium content of various foods and made some effort to limit some with very high levels.

I certainly understand your desire to be on a patch.  Topical E is much less likely to cause clotting.  I've always been using a topical E and am quite satisfied with the results.

Please do keep in contact with your doctor and make sure you have blood tests on a regular basis usually more often in the early years.

Thanks, Charlize. I'm expecting a call from the nurse tomorrow and see my doctor in one month. I love green tea! I'll consider your idea. After doing reading here and elsewhere, I was surprised my doctor didn't prescribe a patch from the beginning. I'm 61; it seemed to be the wisest way to start. So I just asked for it and now don't have to worry so much.

Hugs from icy Michigan

Gwen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• Phoenixrises42016
    • MaryEllen
    • VickySGV
    • jo jo
  • Who Was Online

100 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • Phoenixrises42016
    • MaryEllen
    • VickySGV
    • jo jo
    • Kirsten
    • Rowan
    • Alexx21
    • MaryMary
    • SugarMagnolia
    • Jani
    • Jackie C.
    • Petra Jane
    • hmillerrr
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • Miseria
    • Joe76
    • Jocelyn
    • ckd
    • tomsawyer2305
    • Cat Lady Kelly
    • CyndiRae
    • Briana
    • Swansuser1
    • Katt
    • claire1000
    • Timber Wolf
    • Martyn
    • MarcieMarie12
    • KymmieL
    • Charlize
    • Elyssia
    • stbSusan
    • jae bear
    • DenimAndLace
    • DrumbeatAlex
    • kotobirbs
    • Lexi
    • Miss Linnea
    • Cthorne
    • Zedarius
    • Robin
    • Sharon Aml
    • Mickey
    • rufnear
    • Andrea
    • RudyMac
    • Adaline
    • tracy_j
    • Laura Beth
    • Ashlee
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Cheyenne skye
    • bobbisue
    • PurpleBlue
    • ChickenLittle
    • Keyan
    • It'sAndrew345
    • Rachael
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • nitehwk
    • Isabelle
    • April
    • JMG
    • Dakota16
    • Terry
    • Summer
    • JD
    • JJ
    • Jojo
    • Willow
    • Carly Hughes
    • nate775
    • Michelle F
    • NewLife336
    • Alice
    • BrandiBri
    • Notsure2015
    • KeiraC
    • Lilyr1999
    • CaptainC_Cookies
    • mochi90
    • Julie J
    • DDan
    • Sophie
    • TiaMaria
    • Cluck1992
    • Lady Ayu
    • Poppycorn95
    • Braxton
    • leomonade
    • JBfox
    • Dev
    • CompressionMan
    • Steff
    • quezadajuarez
    • MolsMags93
    • Ronin82
    • Roberta-Belinda
    • Amy joey
    • Carly
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

tomsawyer2305
    Newest Member
    tomsawyer2305

No users celebrating today
    • jo jo
      i find the best thing to do is just practice and see  what suits you if your happy then bingo you gotta think most women themselves arent perfect at makeup !!!
    • Kirsten
      Ugh I hate that. I can’t tell you how many times I hear Michael at work and I turn my head. There’s like 5 michaels in our garage too. So it happens a good bit. And it’s never me. Lol
    • VickySGV
      I can see an application of this theory at work in the murder rates of Trans women in non-white racial and ethnic communities where masculinity is given special status and narrow definition.  The same is true even in geographic regions where general "male privilege" is held higher than female status.  It is that male privilege that is currently on display and excuses allegations of sexual force against women.  
    • Jani
      Great.  Yes soon your old name will be unfamiliar and you won't become alert every time you hear it.     Jani
    • SugarMagnolia
      Yes, it gets easier and easier every day which is what I'd hoped for. I'm still getting used to people calling me Julie at work, though. It seems completely normal in the rest of my life, but I didn't realize how surprising it would sound coming from my co-workers. Its such great blend of being surprised to hear it and being relieved/happy to not have to hide. ❤️

Julie
    • Jani
      There are two forms for obtaining passports, the original and renewal.  For some changes you need to use the original form even though you have a current valid passport.  The lady at the office who took mine said I had the wrong form until she realized I needed the gender marker changed.  So read the instructions carefully.  Best of luck.   Jani
    • Jani
      I would always prefer they err on the side of caution.  Years ago a guy I worked with had shoulder surgery and never came out of the anesthesia.  He was young and healthy.  it was so sad.  We never know how our bodies will react to it.   You'll be fine and your day will come.    Jani
    • Jani
      Greetings!!  You're not alone on this journey.  I'm glad you joined us.    Jani
    • Amy LeBlanc
      Thank you very much.  I need to get my passport or update my BC cause I found out that the state of AZ when flying, the TSA will no longer accept our licenses next year and we will we need to use our passports for TSA or get a second special federal ID card to fly out of AZ.
    • Briana
      Hi Mickey,   I can certainly understand your frustration.   That has to be a total let-down.   Hopefully you can get things rescheduled quickly.    While you may have thought the swelling was "not that bad" in your legs, any swelling would be something to note and consider preop/pre-anesthesia.  While the anesthesiologist may have been overly cautious, he's also keeping your safety in mind.  Anesthesia can take a left turn very quickly.  People tend to think that surgery is very exciting as it's portrayed on TV - constant motion and drama.  Generally it's hours of routine boredom punctuated occasionally by a few moments of sheer terror.  That "terror" is generally when people have an unexpected bad reaction to the anesthesia.    Best of luck!  
    • CyndiRae
      The problem is mostly re-enforced with those suffering from conservatosis. Conservatosis is very hard to cure, steady doses of truth can help. Unfortunately we have a society that feeds on a conservative propaganda machine, and that helps keep the hate machine rolling.   It's a terrible condition of the mind, it starts when your always afraid, step out of line, the man comes and takes you away.
    • MaryMary
      that's a great article I think. That's good to have a fresh perspective (for me at least). It will maybe help me better deal with those people
    • CyndiRae
      Yes that sounds like it would work, there are certain words required on the letter from Dr, same requirements as SSA, stating you have completed the transition from M to F for example. I did mine 5 years ago, and since my previous passport was still valid in my old name/gender, I did not need to present a birth certificate to prove citizenship (that's what they really care about these days !).   C -
    • Amy LeBlanc
      Thank You CyndiRae.  Would my original Endocrinologist letter that I needed for the DMV and SS office work?     Lots of Love   Amy
    • CyndiRae
      This info sounds correct Amy for name change, there is a 2nd part of this and that is the gender change on the passport, I am assuming you want the "F" for "Federally Female 😃". That part requires a physician's letter.   Good luck   C -
  • Upcoming Events