• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Looking for thoughtful reading material

SandraG

A couple nights ago I ran across Natalie Reed's blog for the first time, and have been reading a lot of it since. In particular, this post got me thinking a lot, in ways that I hadn't expected: https://freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed/2012/04/17/the-null-hypothecis/
and: https://freethoughtblogs.com/nataliereed/2012/05/01/different-dysphorias-and-esoteric-embodiments/#more-1213

I'm still mulling over exactly how these have changed my thoughts, but I hear rumblings and churning from the deeps... :blink: Overall, though, I like a lot of the things that she has to say, that often seem to be missing from the "standard narrative" of trans* existence, and the challenges inherent in our gender identity and societal strictures (which a lot of us seem to be left out of for sound-byteability). I think I've been letting myself get more distracted with the fun, pretty stuff, and not really working as hard as I should on figuring out who Sandra is! There are already so many changes going on, but reading this helped me at least begin to frame some new questions!

I guess it's shown me that one of the things I haven't been doing enough, either in my transition or in real life, is reading. What do people recommend? Looking for something to make me think, but past that it doesn't matter if it's fiction, nonfiction, blogs, whatever.

I'll just mention a few authors that I've been reading lately. Apologies if you've already read them or they're not quite what you're looking for. I've found them thought provoking in one way or another, though:
Julia Serrano, Kate Bornstein, Riki Wilchins, Audre Lorde (not trans specific, but I find her discussions of intersectionality topics to be enlightening)

My two cents,
Julie

• Admin

Jennifer Finney Boylan, Shes Not There and Caught In The Middle With You, A Life In Three Genders. and any of her news opinion  articles.

Trans Bodies, Trans Selves is an anthology of short articles and research notes. http://transbodies.com/  I have it and re-read it from time to time.

Dr. Susan Stryker has a couple of books on Trans history that are good to read as well.  She is now a professor at ASU.

I have others but I will need to list them later, its close to my bed time.

I second all of Vicky's suggestions as well. 

And I've also very much enjoyed the work of our own Kenna Dixon! Don't know I forgot to mention Kenna :-)

• Forum Moderator

Yes, I read Kenna's book "I'm not the man I used to be" when I started my journey.  Thoroughly enjoyable and it certainly gave me things to think about how to get out in the world.  I think you can read it online at Smashwords.  

Jani