• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Trumps military ban backfired

Jani

• Forum Moderator

This is good article on how this ban and the subsequent court rulings have actually helped the transgender community in gaining support and acceptance.  

"Fast forward to 2018 and not only are anti-transgender “bathroom bills” failing, but thanks to Trump, the battlefield has displaced the bathroom as the trans topic du jour."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-trumps-trans-military-ban-backfired-spectacularly?ref=home

“Because transgender people have long been subjected to systemic oppression and forced to live in silence, they are a protected class,” U.S. District Judge Marsha Peckham added in her ruling.

"But even though the Republican electorate might largely oppose transgender military service, several GOP senators have made supportive statements—statements that it’s hard to imagine they would have made otherwise unless the White House had made this an issue."

“There is no reason to force service members who are able to fight, train, and deploy to leave the military—regardless of their gender identity,” Sen. John McCain said in a statement last July. 

"Sen. Joni Ernst said in an interview this March that she would “gladly” accept any transgender people into the military who “meet physical requirements” for service, as the Washington Blade reported."

"One of the most perfectly succinct Republican statements came from Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch who said last July, “Transgender people are people, and deserve the best we can do for them.”

"It’s hard to imagine a scenario in which a gaggle of Republican senators—including Susan Collins and Richard Shelby—would start issuing statements about how “transgender people are people” apropos of nothing: Why go out of your way to anger more dogmatically anti-LGBT constituents if they don’t have to be angered? "

"But by taking such an extreme and unpopular stance, the Trump administration essentially forced their hand—and now Orrin Hatch is on record saying that he doesn’t “think we should be discriminating against anyone,” transgender people included."

"The Trump administration wanted to kick transgender people while they were down, and ended up making them stronger than ever."

I read this quote in the article and immediately thought of a transgender Obi-Wan Kenobi. "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." :-)

Thanks for the post, Jani. Always nice to see a positive take on things.

• Admin

Great article, Jani.  Thank you for posting it.  Yes, indeed, Karma is a bitch!

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Julie and Carolyn, you made me laugh!  :D

• Forum Moderator

Thanks Jani! This article put a smile on my face:).

Lots of love,

Timber Wolf?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 48 Guests (See full list)

• Markianor
    • Astrid
    • April Marie
    • Ivy
    • Susie
    • VickySGV
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

FinnyFinsterHH
    Newest Member
    FinnyFinsterHH

1. Dannie
      Dannie
      (64 years old)
    2. evesypeasy
      evesypeasy
      (31 years old)
    3. janeygoth
      janeygoth
      (47 years old)
    4. Katherine1745
      Katherine1745
      (71 years old)
    5. LittlestMikaelson
      LittlestMikaelson
      (25 years old)
    • VickySGV
      The people of Iowa are wonderful, until they get elected to public office in a lot of cases.
    • VickySGV
      Wonderful to see, absolutely wonderful.
    • Timi
      Padres!   I was at opening day yesterday and had so much fun.   My favorite part though was when some ladies noticed that the zipper on my sling bag was partly open and let me know. They tutored me on how to properly position it like a lady so nobody can steal things out of it. They were only slightly surprised when I said "Thank you so much! I really need a mentor!!"
    • Hannah Renee
      I was born just outside the city - Mt. Vernon - as were my 3 siblings. My dad was a long-time Yankees fan, and with the likes of Mantle, Maris, Yogi, Kubek, Ford et al, hey - what wasn't there to love. 
    • Abby Gen
      I got tired of purging, because it is expensive the next time the tide rolls in.  And I lost some clothes that I loved.  I introduced the male-looking female clothes and I pass as a man.  Funny to say that.  I went through a time when I thought it was unfair that people had to deal with me when they thought they were dealing with a man and I was subliminally acting like a woman in my responses.  Not fair: they had no warning.  That sounds  like I am 100% F but I am not.  One therapist was convinced that once she looked past my appearance,  I was a girl.  It's not that simple or easy and people want to make it simple and easy, only to find this can be incredibly difficult to deal with.
    • Astrid
      Welcome, Abby Gen! I'm 74 and non-binary, which has a widely different way of expressing itself among folks, and is often not understood very well by others.     You're not alone. The repeating cycle is certainly something that I experienced for many years in secret, until the pressure and anger became not just uncomfortable but dominated my personality. I am a gentle and kind person by nature, and I intensely disliked what denial did to me.  Women's clothing is now an important part of my expression, and second nature to wear.  Since I've also been on HRT patches (estradiol) for 4+ uears, men's clothing often doesn't fit me well anymore, and I find it has little appeal as well.     Yep.   Everyone's journey follows a somewhat unique path, and I wish you well as you ponder what to do going forward.   Your love and care for your spouse are admirable, supportive, and important.  As my spouse witnessed first-hand that most things in our relationship did not change with my non-binaryness, it greatly releaved stress.   Kind regards,   Astrid
    • Ashley0616
      I don’t see any offense taken. My thing is don’t force beliefs on people. Talking about it is fine. 
    • Ivy
      I don't see how.   I know my own spiritual practices are pretty minority.  I don't have a problem with other folk's as long as they're not attacking me.
    • VickySGV
      Best Buy has not been on my "highly preferred" list for some time now because of in-store service in my area.  One security guard, one manager always on break for 8 hours, 5 sales "advisors" in regard to several million $$ in merchandise that I may want to buy a small amount of, but cannot find what I want, and then told to order it online and I can pick it up in 5 hours when I need it NOW.  At least they have not pegged me as Trans for a long time, but you get that they have one unhappy Trans person who has been there.  On the bright side I don't have to worry about financing their donations to anti-trans causes this way because I am not buying anything there.
    • Ivy
      “we understand that it’s unrealistic for Best Buy to leave HRC in the near future because of their political clout.”   Just go after the defenseless.   Or perhaps the Lavender Scare.
    • Davie
      Yeah. Maybe they're getting tired of being laughed at? Or their Trans Panic is wearing off? "All Anti-LGBTQ+ Bills Defeated In Georgia. Every anti-LGBTQ+ bill was defeated in Georgia as the legislature adjourned Sine Die after midnight Thursday. Is the anti-trans panic losing steam, or is it pausing until after the election?" https://www.erininthemorning.com/p/all-anti-lgbtq-bills-defeated-in?publication_id=994764&post_id=143079115&isFreemail=true&r=rebf4&triedRedirect=true
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://spectrumlocalnews.com/hi/hawaii/news/2024/03/27/honolulu-hale-pink-transgender     Carolyn Marie
    • Carolyn Marie
      https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/entertainment/2024/03/28/transgender-day-of-visibility-events-and-celebrations-in-des-moines-2024/73093751007/     Carolyn Marie
    • Ashley0616
      I'm sorry. Good thing have that. I don't have any friends due to abandoning I get ghosted all the time.  Don't know when to stop communicating
    • VickySGV
      Actually a good start there for us in this group.  You fit into a pattern of which each of us is one piece, but the whole pattern is wide a beautiful.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.