• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

VickySGV

An Old Familiar Bully.

VickySGV

An old familiar bully is back in my life again.  I know, some will tell me to ignore this person, others will tell me to block them out of my  life by any number of means, and yes, maybe someone will suggest that I take legal action for a Stay Away Order by a court.  This will be well intentioned at first, until they learn who the bully really is.  When they learn though, all too many will themselves become my bullies and not be helpful, no matter how well meaning they think they are going to be.  This I have learned will be the pattern and I am sitting here typing this with both sadness and with dread.

The bully is myself, a self that comes out from time to time. This is a self that deeply undervalues what and who I am told that I am by others.  During the period this self is in control, compliments, and positive evaluations, and even just simple appreciation for what I am and have done digs a pit (maybe a grave) and threatens to push me in as I feel it.  These things do not lift me up because I do not feel they are appropriate for what I am or what I accomplish in their lives or my own.  I can allow that for some of the people I work with, doing the same thing would be extraordinary for then to do.  I just see it as a job to be done that I can do.  I am nothing extraordinary in my own mind and would be at fault if I did not do things I can. 

I know the history of my bully self when I am in clearer moments.  It is a history that begins in childhood when I could not develop in many things that even I wanted to do because of medical issues with an over active immune system that tried to cure me of my own body.  Only time would be the ultimate cure or control over this if it ever was cured or controlled.  This upset some expectations of my parents and it was added to when a younger sister was born, but with an easily correctable medical problem which they paid strict attention to with visible relief when the correction was made.  I received my regular medications and some physical care, but it always seemed that my care was an imposition and not a celebration. In one sense it made matters worse that both of my parents were highly educated in specific fields, and thus teaching myself to read by a very young age, and developing muscle coordination of my fine muscles did not really impress anyone in the family.  These things were considered “ordinary” and announcing that I finished a project, or finished a book high above my age level met with the reaction of “Ok, now you can do something else”.  No appreciation and often anger if I was reading under my bed covers.  With craft projects, it was an “Ok, go clean up the mess on the kitchen table”.  I was given the lesson that I was never more than OK, and often told of mistakes or imperfections in what I had done in a way that negated the good.

In school, this carried on when I and my parents were called into see school counselors about my test scores on many tests the schools of the time gave.  My scores on the tests were some of the highest the counselors had seen, but did not match my school class work which to me was boring and things I already knew, but where my attempts to demonstrate the knowledge were also met with “well you did not do the work, so I don’t believe you really know it”.  All of the examples I can come up with would fill nearly a volume.  I learned good things about myself that were presented in a negative way as if they were in my case, a disease, and not an accomplishment.  As for the grades, by that time I knew that I would be punished for what others deemed a poor grade, and I would get no attention if they were perfect.  “I would not have expected less from YOU!” would have been the best I could hope for with perfect grades.  It did not help at all with my relations with my classmates, since sometimes it seemed to them that I was showing off especially with some of my teacher’s comments.   The same too for my younger siblings who did get their classwork done and because the oldest of my younger siblings (the one with the correctable medical issue) was a female, her showing off in some subjects was considered extraordinary.  Attention was turned to her again and my seemingly mediocre achievements was tucked into the family closet. 

In a nutshell, I was emotionally neglected for long periods of time and in time became my own most critical judge on things I was doing on my own, and even today I can see every flaw in what I do.  I assume that others see those flaws as much as I do, and only say nice things for one of two reasons.  Either to close things between us on that project, or they have been taught to give compliments as politeness no matter what.  A third dark reason which I learned long ago, was that appreciation and compliments were a prelude to involving me in something for which I would receive little or no recognition for and would be messy in a way I had to clean up.  Compliments came as a manipulation.  While I was emotionally abused as well as neglected, of the two, the neglect to me today is the worst of the two.

I actually have many skills and talents that I have developed over the years, and I know I am more skilled and talented in ways that others are not.  The other side though is that I cannot imagine any not having as many especially because I do not feel that I have more than they.  I cannot show a degree or certificate on a lot of things I do and I have to justify my ability to do them to others for whom that is the proof.  Splat.

“You got dinner and new jeans that’s all you need to know I care about you”.  “You got your paycheck didn’t you?  If you were not doing the job you would have gotten a pink slip”.   

If you have read this to the end, no Love You responses “hugs” or attempts to tell me nice things for a while, please!!  An “I got it” is about my limit.  If you want to do something in response to this, go and tell your child or younger relative sincerely that something they did was good and wonderful, that you appreciate how they are growing, and make sure they feel good about it If they are having trouble with something, give constructive help, and not an off-hand “practice makes perfect” where you do not help with the practice.  Be sure they are not emotionally neglected or abused.  Be willing to praise the good without offsetting it.  The phrase “that was great but-----“ makes something terrible instead of wonderful.  Just because that happened to you does not make it the right way in the world.  It was bad then as well as now.  I may feel better In a few days, but I do need some space to battle my old self bully again.

Dev
Just now, VickySGV said:

If you want to do something in response to this, go and tell your child or younger relative sincerely that something they did was good and wonderful, that you appreciate how they are growing, and make sure they feel good about it

If this is the wrong time for this, please accept my sincere apology.  On these lines, though, I feel the need to point out that you're a fantastic moderator and TransPulse is lucky to have you.

Take the time you need.  We'll be here when you're back on top.

VickySGV

I will be on the Forums @Dev maybe just from a little different POV , and in this case I can make an exception for the response but I may need to re-read it in a day or two.  I helps me to share the problem now that I know what it really is, and some may notice that I have not mentioned GD in it, it is one of those things that even with the GD harnessed is going to be in our lives once it gets there.,

Jani

Thank you for sharing Vicky.  I am sorry you had to grow up that way.  No one deserves that.  What many parents do not understand is that emotional damage can be worse than the physical.  I hope that you take all the time you need to make peace (if that is correct) with this side and can return to be the person we know and appreciate.  

Jani

Carolyn Marie

Vicky, I'm sorry you are feeling like this right now, but I do think that you will get through it all right.  You know where to find me if you need anything, my friend.

Carolyn Marie

bobbisue

Thank you Vicky while my circumstances were different much of this rings true ans I do many of the same things you are not alone

Bobbisue:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• Jani
    • Elyssia
    • Charlize
    • ChickenLittle
    • Carolyn Marie
    • AsTheCrow
    • MaryEllen
    • Sharon Aml
  • Who Was Online

72 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • Jani
    • Elyssia
    • Charlize
    • ChickenLittle
    • Carolyn Marie
    • AsTheCrow
    • MaryEllen
    • Sharon Aml
    • CyndiRae
    • MaryMary
    • Kirsten
    • Cluck1992
    • KoreyA
    • lani_transgirl
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • stbSusan
    • Erika_E
    • Willow
    • Aiyanna
    • Kenna Dixon
    • Michelle F
    • Falnone
    • Kai
    • Terry
    • maniclich
    • Clara84
    • Petra Jane
    • DenimAndLace
    • KeiraC
    • Fernode
    • Dev
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • Sara w
    • claire1000
    • Beth
    • BrandiBri
    • MarcieMarie12
    • Dimitri K
    • jody
    • Danielle4d
    • JJ
    • jo jo
    • MamaBear
    • Jocelyn
    • bobbisue
    • hasan
    • kaye the grey
    • Timber Wolf
    • newguy
    • SugarMagnolia
    • Cheyenne skye
    • Myke
    • VickySGV
    • Mickey
    • Chronical-anxiety
    • Rachael
    • jade2003bs
    • LizzyLiam
    • princecharmless
    • Alex Skelton
    • Ren
    • Randi
    • Laura Beth
    • Jennifer 123
    • jae bear
    • Jazzykat
    • Sara91
    • tracy_j
    • Alexiawolf
    • Cmattison
    • Katelyn
    • Lady Ayu
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

lani_transgirl
    Newest Member
    lani_transgirl

No users celebrating today
    • Charlize
      I came across this on Facebook this morning and was alternately in tears or smiling from ear to ear. What a beautiful group of songs presented in a fun and inspirational; way.   https://www.today.com/popculture/james-corden-s-carpool-karaoke-paul-mccartney-most-emotional-yet-t131628   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Amy LeBlanc
      Hello All   So I want to ask about finally being able to live full time as the woman that I want to be.  So my family and friends all know since I have come out to them.  I have started to come out to my new job where the individuals I work with in Phoenix and my HR rep knows and now I would love to start being able to live full time.  On my time off from work, I am finding myself always dressed as myself.  I just need to officially come out at work.  I have been now really thinking on going and getting my name leagelly changed with my gender markers from the court to the SSN to the DMV,   Lots of Love   Amy
    • Kirsten
      So this is great! Everything is so much easier once you’re out. Went to Walmart with a bra today. And makeup too!! Still pretty andro dressing for me. But I’m starting to push the “envelope” a bit now. I got a few looks from people, but like you all keep saying I think people are so wrapped up in their own bs that they really don’t even notice. And with political correctness what it is around here nowadays I don’t think many people would say anything anyways.  Picked up my scrip at the pharmacy today and the pharmacist congratulated me as well! I have to tell you, I wish I had done this years ago. It’s amazing what it’s like to be truly happy.  And my friends have changed to female pronouns for me now. And I don’t think anyone has called me Michael in a few days either. Such a wonderful feeling. It’s all just so much easier and comfortable now.  ❤️Kirsten 
    • ChickenLittle
      I'm getting peri-areolar surgery next week, but I think double incision is the kind of top surgery most people opt for! My surgeon has a great website with info about different incision types and the recovery process. If I'm not mistaken, most doctors will have patients wear a compression vest for about a week following top surgery, but some do not. However, many doctors do advise limiting activity and avoiding lifting your elbows above shoulder height for up to six months to minimize scar stretching. Most people I've heard from say that the recovery isn't too painful, but that they have lasting numbness on their chest that may or may not ever go away. I have heard that the compression binder is uncomfortable and kind of awful, but for a week I find it worth it to never have to wear a binder again.    Your best bet is to find a surgeon in your area and schedule a consultation to see how they do things, since every surgeon does things a little differently. Make sure you see photos of their results and that you like their general style and that they have performed the surgery more than a few times-- some surgeons specialize in gender confirmation surgeries and they tend to be very skilled and knowledgeable about the trans community!   https://www.genderconfirmation.com/surgery/double-incision/ 
    • Willow
      Based on what I’ve read here and elsewhere that’s what I’d like to try but I’m not sure that’s going to be enough E for me long term.  I have no intention or current desire for SRS or GCS. 
    • DenimAndLace
      Willow, ...I'm sorry you've had to deal with all that Willow.  Especially your granddaughter.  That's more than anyone should have to bear.  I Don't think I'll ever forget the time my marriage counselor looked at me and said, "you've had a hard life".  Which, I mean, she has worked with a lot of people right?  And for her to judge MY life as hard is really saying something.  ...I'd say, depression, cancer, and loss of a grandchild would have to rank among apocalyptic.  I wonder if even a low dose of E and an anti-androgen (LITERALLY for emotional reasons) would help you.  I've heard so many say HRT improved their mental health - it did mine.  Maybe that's all the further down transitions road you'd need to go???  It's a slippery slope though.
    • Willow
      MarcieMarie12, DenimAndLace  I won't say we haven't had issues with our marriage.  But, we've been married for over 46 years.  Two kids, three granddaughters.  Neither of us want this, but as everyone here knows, it isn't a choice.  As my therapist said to me during one session, if we had a choice, would any of us choose to be this different?  I've been denying my feelings for nearly 60 years.  Always thought it was a fetish or something. i hide everything from everyone.  I never really put it together with my episodes of depression.  My wife recognized I needed to see someone for the depression years before i did. I kept insisting I was fine.  When it started really getting in the way of life I finally saw my doctor for an anti-depressant.  I suppose it helped but life happened.  Our then 6 year old granddaughter was diagnosed with cancer, a brain tumor.  Three 12 to 16 hours surgeries, chemo, proton radiation, traditional radiation, experimental treatments, 18 month of trying everything we could to save her, she told us God had told her it was time to come home.  My doctor gave me more anti-depressants.     The two in combination gave me really bad GERD, which in turn gave me laryngeal cancer.  That is essentially cured.  But I stopped all the anti-depressants.  That's when everything got worse for me.  I finally told myself i needed to find a therapist.  Still didn't tell her why except for the depression from the death of our granddaughter.  after just a few sessions, the dam broke and I told him everything.   I was not on anti-depressants, but was relieved and happy for the first time in many years.  a few more sessions and I asked about HRT and he approved it.  Instead of HRT I got a different anti-depressant from my new doctor.  At first I was emotionless, now I am back to feeling better but along with that the desire to be female has gotten stronger.  I suppose due to lower inhibitions.  I guess we just have to see where this goes.    Willow
    • Fernode
      Thanks  My therapy starts on August (officially with doctor!). And maybe I'll do HRT this year or beginning of next year! ☺️ I also got new clothes and I planned to shop new one next month with my flatmate (roommate), but I am kinda nervous a bit, to be honest.     I do not do Self-Medication, don't worry. I start therapy on August 23th. And I also have a specialized counseling at our University Clinic on July 10th.   Thank you very much, Riley with ❤️
    • stbSusan
      So today was the very first day that i wore a sports bra to work and i felt amazing wearing although it did take a bit to get used to wearing it but i was very comfortable. just wanted to share that. thanks
    • Jani
      Ah yes.  I think it's a combination of estrogen and age.  Noooo!    Jani
    • KoreyA
      His girlfriend said he looked beautiful as a female.Borrowed a dress to wear from her
    • Carolyn Marie
      That's horrible. I wonder what led to that desperate act?  At least some people tried to help.   Carolyn Marie
    • claire1000
      Springstien ,the Born to run CD always gets in a good mood in the morning  
    • Carolyn Marie
      That's great to hear, Korey.  I hope he finds continued support and happiness.   Carolyn Marie
    • DenimAndLace
      The best advice I can give couples in transition is what I learned going through transition myself.  Each person will need to learn to SAY very hard things to each other and also, learn to HEAR very hard things from each other.  Everyone thinks they're good at doing that but I'm talking about a much deeper level that I've rarely seen in relationships that haven't gone through something apocalyptic.  Tell each other the most raw and naked feelings you are having ALL THE TIME - don't stockpile emotions or things you're thinking about.  Hear each other's pain.  Help each other process it without being defensive.  In addition to having a gender therapist, we worked with a marriage counselor who facilitated our so-called hard discussions until we learned the skill and could do it on our own.  We started with nearly impossible odds coming from conservative and religious territory with only a moderate marriage.  I was positive she was going to leave me when I told her but she stayed by me hard as it was for her.  We went slow TOGETHER and slowly got proficient at communicating until there was nothing we couldn't talk through.  Today we're through the fog and doing better than ever.  It CAN happen but it takes a LOT of hard work.  Others have not been so fortunate as we have so don't be discouraged if your relationship doesn't survive.  What I'm offering is only advice, not a guarantee.  Best of luck to all who read this.
  • Upcoming Events