• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dev

Study on Stress Responses in the Trans and GNC Community

Dev

Evening everyone!

Case Western Reserve University is conducting a study on how stress affects members of the trans and gender non-conforming community.  I've taken this survey and cleared it to be shared with all of you here.

It will ask you for detailed information regarding your use of alcohol, your experiences with coming out, others' reactions to your gender identity, and your religious or spiritual beliefs.  There seems to be a glitch near the end, where it will ask you about your beliefs regarding a spiritual or supernatural entity even if you indicate earlier in the survey that you don't believe in one.

From the university's submission to our research program:

Purpose and Scope of Research Study:

The goal of the study is to see what is associated with adaptive functioning and resilience in transgender, gender nonbinary, gender fluid, genderqueer, and gender non-conforming adults and what is associated with stress, anxiety, and other psychological symptoms. The study involves completing online questionnaires about the experiences of transgender, gender non-binary, genderqueer, gender nonconforming, and gender fluid adults. We hope to use the information gathered through this project to decrease stigma and discrimination and increase the understanding of transgender, gender nonbinary, gender fluid, genderqueer, and gender non-conforming adults.

Researchers at Case Western Reserve University are conducting an online study of the experiences of transgender, gender non-binary, genderqueer, gender nonconforming, and gender fluid adults. The study involves completing online questionnaires about your experiences and emotions. In order to complete it, you must be at least 18 years of age. The study should take about 45–60 minutes to complete. You will have the option of including your contact information in order to be entered into a raffle for a gift card. The information gathered from this study may help us to better understand the experiences of transgender, genderqueer, gender nonconforming, gender fluid, and gender non-binary individuals.

If you're interested, you can take the survey at the link below.

https://cwru.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_di3pqxxIqXBydkp

VickySGV

It is long, but they may not believe a few of my answers.  They were not really set up for Recovering Alcoholics in the alcohol questions, but its their test.  I got the Religion trick on the answers, some of them were about spirituality and the others about the religious teachings you have latched on to.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   16 Members, 0 Anonymous, 72 Guests (See full list)

• Cyndee
    • Shay
    • Cris31
    • RunValRun
    • Sally Stone
    • QuestioningAmber
    • Liam da potato
    • Rami
    • MiraM
    • Jackie C.
    • Sophie Watson
    • Andrea Jean
    • ElizabethStar
    • Timber Wolf
    • VickySGV
    • Michellle
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Adelaide
    Newest Member
    Adelaide

No users celebrating today
    • Shay
      The most difficult thing I had to do (and that was recently) was to come out to friends and my wife. Once I did that I was finally able to move ahead. I am on HRT now, waiting for a new GT and anxious to becoming the woman I've denied all my life.   In regard to the support groups  if you didn't feel comfortable with them - you will need to find another group. At least you are with a support group here that I'm sure you realize TOTALLY SUPPORT you and are here for you always.    Smile - You've come a long way,   Heather Shay
    • RunValRun
      @QuestioningAmber When I first saw the title I thought it was an invitation to the flame wars Since asking to choose between those is akin to asking whether you should use 2 or 4 spaces for indentation - "the war must go on" and no side has clear reason to win (and yes, the battle over tabs is over, they lost) Then I read your post and sighed with a relief 😉   As I am in the midst of transitioning, I am quite invested to know what the future holds, but I guess my only option is to follow the rest of humanity at one-day-at-a-time pace One good thing about IT field is that unless you are in support or other position involved with users' interactions, you only need to be comfortable with your team. Depending on the size of the company, others either don't need to be made aware before you are ready or they will only meet Amber and would not be burdened with prior knowledge. For what its worth, I am looking forward to be a girl on the team - we are definitely lacking in female presentation 🤭  
    • Shay
      Michellle - there are 3 bass players here that are willing to add bass to any tracks you might have need of recording via dropbox.   Heather Shay
    • Robin
      I made the decision to come out to my brother and to a few of my friends very soon after coming to the realisation that I am trans.  This made me feel better as it was then out in the open and "official", rather than just going round and round in my head.   None of the people that I told had anything negative to say about it.  The only problems that I experienced were when I approached two transgender support groups, where, due to my male appearance, I was seen as an "admirer" and turned away.  That severely knocked my self confidence, just as I thought that I had finally found out what was "wrong" with me, and that my life was going to improve.    Robin.
    • ElizabethStar
      This really sounds like some of the things I struggled with. I was questioning and confused for many, many years. I really just needed more time, experimentation and self reflection to be sure.    
    • Michellle
      I agree, some people’s egos hold the whole band back. Me and my brothers always got along playing and recording together. It’s bass players we had issues with. I think they know they are in demand.
    • MiraM
      Very well said. I transitioned in 2000, and then de-transitioned in 2002.  I was miserable living as a man, and knew I was a woman, but I was just as miserable after transitioning, so I stopped HRT, and all therapy, and went back to living as a male...a depressed, alcoholic, suicidal male.  My mistake is that I thought transitioning was the "magic pill" that was going to solve all my problems.  It wasn't.  They were still there.   In 2016, after being laid off from my job, I went back into therapy.  My intention was not to transition at that time, but to try and work out the issues with my depression and C-PTSD.  About a year into therapy, we started addressing the gender dysphoria again, and I was referred to the man gender therapist at my VA Hospital.   After about 6 months of weekly sessions with her, we both felt that I was at a point where trying HRT again was possible.  I went back on HRT in January of 2018, and the outcome was different.  This time I actually started to feel comfortable with me.  I went full time again in August 2019 and haven't looked back.   I can attest to the fact that some of the people that de-transition have the mindset that I did the first time.  It is very important, mandatory in my opinion, that any and all co-morbid conditions be addressed and brought under control before transitioning.  If not, the outcome is likely to not be a positive one.  I for one am glad that my current medical team would not consider putting me on HRT until I had done so.  I think therapy is important after HRT and going full-time as well.  I still see my gender therapist every two weeks.
    • Timber Wolf
      Hi Holly Noel, Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here!   Lots of love and a big welcome hug, Timber Wolf 🐾
    • Cris31
      Just want to toss in my support and appreciation JamesM.  QuestioningAmber brings up a good point there that hit me pretty hard.  I'm still trying to figure out myself but it brings some comfort that there's a spectrum and not completely feeling like THIS or THAT all the time or completely is okay
    • Timber Wolf
      Hi Rory, Welcome to Transpulse. I'm glad you're here!   You're not alone anymore.   Lots of love and a big welcome hug, Timber Wolf 🐾
    • RunValRun
      OMG @Sally Stone, absolutely lovely nails. I always had preference for long nails, there is something indescribable and powerful they add to the woman's image.  
    • KayC
      Hi @Maren!  nice to meet you and Welcome! I am also at the very beginning and until I get farther along in therapy I don't want to set any specific plans or timelines for myself (and I am also much, MUCH older than you. lol). But, with that in mind, right now your idea of HRT first would also be my most likely option.  Not just for preference (which for now it is) but my inability to come out in the near future (job and location) and the logistics and availability of HRT for me (in Japan).  I am Out to my wife (only) so far, but she at some point has to be part of my decision and timing process. So, I see your option as very viable (and for me, preferable), but everybody is different and there is no one set way to go about it.  Wishing you all the best❣️   Deep breaths ... one step at a time
    • RunValRun
      Going by route of hrt before coming out is completely viable option. In my particular case, I knew what I was going for, but making it official was not a priority. Of course, eventually it would come out (as it started happening recently to me), but you decide what your journey should be. I made a decision to let things come to me as oppose to let everyone know at some milestone. My family was the first to learn, and while it was a rather significant surprise, because it came by observing and just accepting changes in me, it was easier to understand that I was still the same person. It looks like my "work family" is next and I just smile every morning imagining each and every conversation I might have that day   Good luck and keep asking questions.
    • MiraM
      I did my major coming out on Facebook.  There were a few close friends at work (along with my supervisors since I had been on HRT for a while before coming out fully....I felt they needed to know since my plan was to eventually transition on the job), but the vast majority of my friends and family did not know.  On National Coming Out Day of 2018, I made a Facebook post telling everything from being Pansexual to being Trangender.  I have friends and family in several states, so there was no real effective way to do any of it on a one to one basis.  I had no negative reactions, and lost none of my friends or family over it.  I will have been full-time one year on August 15th.  There were also ones at work that knew nothing until the day I went full-time, and they have all been very supportive.  I came out to our entire regional corporate office (most of who had no idea I even existed) with a letter from my Therapist attached to my submission for a promotion into management.  I start in my new management position on August 12th.  The only person that I have noticed that has had any difficulty with any of it is my sister.  She says it is hard to not think of me as her baby brother, but she does try, and uses my preferred name and pronouns.   Your milage may vary, but it is possible to successfully come out via Facebook and other types of electronic media.    
    • KayC
      Hi again, @Overalls Bear!  I have similar feelings when I am out shopping with my wife and she is shopping in the womens section.  I so much want to shop with her, go through the racks, compare our choices of styles and then try on our selections together.  Someday I hope. I am Out to me wife only (and therapist, of course), and I am able to dress at home (only at home, in private).  I think I would be miserable if I could not do at least that.  So, I hope .. only when the time is right for you .. that eventually you can find a way to tell your wife, and she will be supportive.    Wishing you all the best in yourjourney❣️
  • Upcoming Events