• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Harmful Practices for Transgender People

Dev

• Admin

Hello!

Every now and again, we see an influx of people who have engaged in any one of a number of risky - and potentially fatal - practices in the name of feeling more like their true gender.  In order to offer some standing education about these practices, a page has been created explaining what they are and why they're dangerous.

If you know someone who is engaging in one of these practices, please share this link with them.  If you yourself are considering such a practice, I beg you to reconsider.

The direct URL for this resource is:  https://www.transgenderpulse.com/harmful-practices/

• Dev featured this topic
  • 5 months later...

NIce job very posting harmfull-practices. It easy to want to speed things up in making the change But slow and with medical suppervision will give safer and in time goals will be meet

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Should have a section on improper tucking and tucking for too long for transfem people. I personally refuse to tuck, but I've seen people get some pretty nasty injuries doing it either improperly or for too long.

Should also be one specifically to make transfem people aware of the difference between actual progesterone (P4) AKA micronized bioidentical progesterone when used as a medication and other progestins most often used as birth control or to relieve menopausal symptoms such as Provera. To be clear, for the purposes of providing feminizing HRT no medical practitioner should ever prescribe any progestin other than progesterone (P4) as an antiandrogen and for feminization or cyproterone acetate, or spironolactone as an antiandrogen, and only spiro if it's literally the only option.

We can talk about whether or not we should take progesterone (P4) elsewhere, but I've seen too many endos who have never done anything outside dealing with menopausal cis women and diabetes prescribe Provera to transfem people who want progesterone simply because they don't know any better, or worse don't care. And I'm singling out Provera because a girlfriend recently was prescribed Provera by her endo and in the opinion of many the stuff shouldn't be on the market because it's the most litigated against birth control product in history. Also, just as estrogens that aren't estradiol (E2) are not going to do any good for transition, the same applies to progestins that aren't progesterone (P4), and androgens for transmasc people. You don't see endos or doctors prescribing androgens that aren't testosterone like dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) to trans men.

Sorry for the progesterone rant and partial infodump, I'm still angry that an actual endocrinologist prescribed Provera to my girlfriend out of pure ignorance to anything to do with feminizing HRT.

• 8 months later...
On 1/11/2021 at 12:21 PM, MayGay said:

Should have a section on improper tucking and tucking for too long for transfem people. I personally refuse to tuck, but I've seen people get some pretty nasty injuries doing it either improperly or for too long.

Should also be one specifically to make transfem people aware of the difference between actual progesterone (P4) AKA micronized bioidentical progesterone when used as a medication and other progestins most often used as birth control or to relieve menopausal symptoms such as Provera. To be clear, for the purposes of providing feminizing HRT no medical practitioner should ever prescribe any progestin other than progesterone (P4) as an antiandrogen and for feminization or cyproterone acetate, or spironolactone as an antiandrogen, and only spiro if it's literally the only option.

We can talk about whether or not we should take progesterone (P4) elsewhere, but I've seen too many endos who have never done anything outside dealing with menopausal cis women and diabetes prescribe Provera to transfem people who want progesterone simply because they don't know any better, or worse don't care. And I'm singling out Provera because a girlfriend recently was prescribed Provera by her endo and in the opinion of many the stuff shouldn't be on the market because it's the most litigated against birth control product in history. Also, just as estrogens that aren't estradiol (E2) are not going to do any good for transition, the same applies to progestins that aren't progesterone (P4), and androgens for transmasc people. You don't see endos or doctors prescribing androgens that aren't testosterone like dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) to trans men.

Sorry for the progesterone rant and partial infodump, I'm still angry that an actual endocrinologist prescribed Provera to my girlfriend out of pure ignorance to anything to do with feminizing HRT.

The medical industry in the US tends to take a cookie cutter approach to many health issues.  They've screwed up a lot. I don't trust them and often data that is released to the public is not accurate because there's an agenda behind it. The link between synthetic estrogen and breast cancer may have been inaccurate but estrogen and blood clots is real. When 6 women developed blood clots after getting the J&J vaccine the lame stream media didn't say if the women were on birth control pills. All were of child bearing age. They also did not report that people getting the J&J vaccine overall had a lower incidence of blood clots than the general population.  Birth control pills increase the incidence of blood clots but for some reason $$$$$ the media didn't report that.

Caveat: I am not touting J&J as they are a horrible company.

Also, when it comes to prescribing medications not only is it cookie cutter but big pharma often dictates what doctors can prescribe. 

Other countries are far more advanced in medicine than the US and the data proves that. There's a whole lot of lip service when it come to women's health especially with breast cancer but there is no campaign for prostate cancer that comes close to the breast cancer one. 

It is interesting to note that transfemales are 4 times less likely to get prostate cancer than XY males. 

We need to be comparing what we to in the US to what is done in the EU and some of the Asian countries. 

In spite of paying 3 times the world average for health care, the US has some of the highest infant mortality rates and maternal mortality rates of any industrialized country. IMO the monetization of human suffering for obscene profit is pretty damn evil.

@MayGay you had me all super paranoid about my progesterone capsules talking about P4 and whatnot!  Mine have P1 stamped on the side and although my doc said he was prescribing the non-synthetic micronized stuff a quick googling came back with nothing but synthetics! ?  Had to do some hardcore searching to soothe my mind, everything is cool now :P

2 hours ago, Kelly2509 said:

@MayGay you had me all super paranoid about my progesterone capsules talking about P4 and whatnot!  Mine have P1 stamped on the side and although my doc said he was prescribing the non-synthetic micronized stuff a quick googling came back with nothing but synthetics! ?  Had to do some hardcore searching to soothe my mind, everything is cool now :P

This doctor swears by bio-identical progesterone for trans females. 

When you consider the fact that 70% of medications sold in the US come mostly from China and India skepticism is only natural. Ask your doctor or pharmacist the country of origin for your meds. They won't know and neither does the FDA. 

This is not meant to scare anyone. These are facts.

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2018 at 12:28 AM, Dev said:

Hello!

Every now and again, we see an influx of people who have engaged in any one of a number of risky - and potentially fatal - practices in the name of feeling more like their true gender.  In order to offer some standing education about these practices, a page has been created explaining what they are and why they're dangerous.

If you know someone who is engaging in one of these practices, please share this link with them.  If you yourself are considering such a practice, I beg you to reconsider.

The direct URL for this resource is:  https://www.transgenderpulse.com/harmful-practices/

I never like tucking. It just reminded of what I got, and what I did not have. In other words, I had more dysphoria by tucking than by wearing panties. Plus, my dress style need no hiding of them.

18 minutes ago, StephieGurl said:

Plus, my dress style need no hiding of them.

Me too.  I tend to favor looser clothing and full skirts.

6 hours ago, StephieGurl said:

A-lines are my favorite

I love how a full skirt swirls around as I move. 

14 hours ago, Ivy said:

I love how a full skirt swirls around as I move. 

It's how they make my figure? accented, and doesn't show anything in less I am straight into the wind. Then, I hold it on the side and pull and nothing shows and my skirt doesn't blow up in the wind.

I bet you look nice in them too.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2021 at 3:21 AM, MayGay said:

Been there done that. I'm getting better at tucking though.  I've been trying to limit my tucked time to about 12 hours a day.  My gender dysphoria has reduced but my genital dysphoria hasn't changed enough to notice.  I ride a bicycle, wearing Lycra, almost every day - I must be tucked (for me).

• 2 months later...

I had no idea that gas-station and over the counter testosterone boosters could hurt transmasc folk. good thing i stopped a long time ago while my heart was still good! Thank you for posting this!