• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Anyone work in the Culinary Arts?

I have always loved to cook and bake since I was very young. So naturally when I had a choice to go to a college I chose a Culinary School in my area. I came of with a degree in the Culinary Arts with a specialty in pastry making. I have now been in a wonderful career as a Pastry Chef at Restaurants and Pastry Shops. Are there other members here that have a career in the Culinary Arts.

• Admin

Just flying by to let you know we have a member who hangs out in chat, but not here in the forums, who does.  She just got her start last year and has been working her way up the kitchen ranks.

Just now, Dev said:

Just flying by to let you know we have a member who hangs out in chat, but not here in the forums, who does.  She just got her start last year and has been working her way up the kitchen ranks.

Thank You, it is a wonderful profession and what I enjoy about it so much is I can open up my creative side in so many ways. 

• Forum Moderator

I almost bought a small bakery when I was 21, one of my bank clients wanted me to learn his trade and buy him out but I chose a manufacturing route instead... I remember opening my first retail shop in 1995 thinking, why didn’t I buy that bakery? It seems that I’ve always bought all of the pro kitchen gadgets for home, but never seem to use them, and I still love really top end kitchen equipment but the only thing I seem to use anymore or at all is just my Anova sous vide stick. I’m actually quite bummed that I’m not much of a cook but then again I’ve never spent the time to try. I did just make a cheese omelette breakfast sandwich for my daughter which she absolutely loved and then made myself an omelette that I couldn’t eat because it was too cheesy. I ended up assembling it into a sandwich and putting it in the fridge, only moments later to find my daughter on her knees in front of the fridge trying to take a bite out of it, and of course she’s 12 so I can’t quite figure out why that’s happening. I can only guess she really liked the sandwich I made for her. I’m jealous of anyone that has this skill, as I think I went in the manufacturing direction since I thought “that is what a real man that would do.” I don’t know how many times that question I ask myself has just gone completely wrong, of course manufacturing is really not the place to be right now since everything is made overseas. I’m quite glad that I have the job I have today, and it uses the skills that I’ve learned across the span of the last 27 years, but honestly I wish there were more eggs, flour and sugar involved.

Hugs,

Jae

Jae, I worked in a Bakery for several years until the owners of the Bakery retired and decided to close shop for good instead of passing down the family business to another family members. The owners were a husband and wife team who were in their mid 80's and had been doing this since they were in there early 20's. The doughnuts they made were to die for. I strictly was responsible for making cookies for that job. 

Things go in different directions for certain reasons and I tend not to question them much because my brain ends up getting too frazzled if I do. I am the typical blonde that is ditzy. Even when my outward body was a boy at a young age I was the ditzy blonde boy. Now I am the ditzy blonde woman and the name fits a bit better now. :) I am a go with the flow gal. There has to be a reason God has made me the way I am. One of those reasons is to make me a happy person, I know that for sure. 

I am glad that you have grabbed hold to your current occupation  and get satisfaction out of it. That is huge for staying sane is being happy in the work place. 

Big Hugs,

Daisy Mae

I am no professional chef or anything, but cooking is one of my favorite things to do! I made a Tuscan shrimp Alfredo tonight with baby spinach and cherry tomatoes. Mmmm it was so good. I’ve made my own italian gravy for a long time now. Right from tomatoes every Christmas. I’ve been told it’s yummy. I like it. Even my son who doesn’t eat sauce looks forward to it. 

But I can not bake. I wish I could though. But no matter what I do when I bake it’s no good. Tried a cake once. It ended up more like a brownie. Lol. 

Plus I use cannabis oils for my anxiety and if I could bake maybe I could stop eating feet flavored gummies for my meds. ?

Just now, Kirsten said:

I am no professional chef or anything, but cooking is one of my favorite things to do! I made a Tuscan shrimp Alfredo tonight with baby spinach and cherry tomatoes. Mmmm it was so good. I’ve made my own italian gravy for a long time now. Right from tomatoes every Christmas. I’ve been told it’s yummy. I like it. Even my son who doesn’t eat sauce looks forward to it. 

But I can not bake. I wish I could though. But no matter what I do when I bake it’s no good. Tried a cake once. It ended up more like a brownie. Lol. 

Plus I use cannabis oils for my anxiety and if I could bake maybe I could stop eating feet flavored gummies for my meds. ?

Hey Kirsten you don't have to be a professional chef to love cooking. The Tuscan Shrimp Alfredo sounds wonderful and all that counts is that you and the others that ate it thought it was yummy. Keep being creative. That is all that matters.

• Admin

I love to cook, and share that task with my wife.  I've always liked cooking, but never went into the profession.  I was a better writer than a cook.  I admire you for pursuing something you love to do.  When you love what you do, it is no longer work.  it is art.

Carolyn Marie

• Forum Moderator

Yes that Tuscan Shrimp sounds delicious.  Right up my alley.  MMMM!  

4 hours ago, Daisy Mae said:

I am the typical blonde that is ditzy. 

I used to be a super hard charger but age, retirement, HRT and a new outlook changed that.  My wife says I'm ditzy at times!  Mellow is the way.

Jani