• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

You'll know you pass when...

SugarMagnolia

My wife just texted this to me after picking up some trim for a room we just finished sheet rocking. It amused me, but I suppose it will be a good test (and annoying once it happens).

"As an FYI: You will know you are finally being perceived by the general public as female when every guy in Home Depot gives you advice and offers of assistance "managing" boards."

• Admin

So very true about Home Depot at least (and car parts stores.)  My favorite story about HD was one day when I was buying some metric machine screws and nuts.  I got a long spiel on "must-have" metric wrenches (which I owned at the time),  I did not exactly tell the guy I have top line professional tools though, instead I assured him that I had a Metric Crescent Wrench.  His face opened up and said "Wow, where do we carry that, I have never seen one".  He was serious!!  I was blond at the time, but I did not laugh at him even though it was hard as hell not to.  Women can be so sweet to guys. .

Note for others reading this -- Crescent Wrenches are adjustable and work on Metric and U.S. bolts and screws just fine. 

That's funny! 

Reminds me of one year when I worked as a laborer at a construction site while taking a break from university. I was not particularly gullible and so I didn't get hazed much, but one of the even younger guys was sent all around lthe construction site ooking for "bubble oil" to fill someone's level.

NOTE: levels are sealed and are never required to be refilled with "bubble oil" ?

VickySGV , 

what about the on ratchet used got tightening things . 

And the off ratchet for taking them apart. 

I know it’s old. 

I also remember a left handed cats paw for removing nails that exists in the same universe as the famous left handed monkey wrench

Lmao!! metric crescent wrenches and bubble oil, those are fantastic!

• Forum Moderator

Don’t forget muffler bearings and headlight coolant!!!!!

Hugs,

Jae

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, VickySGV said:

So very true about Home Depot at least (and car parts stores.)  My favorite story about HD was one day when I was buying some metric machine screws and nuts.  I got a long spiel on "must-have" metric wrenches (which I owned at the time),  I did not exactly tell the guy I have top line professional tools though, instead I assured him that I had a Metric Crescent Wrench.  His face opened up and said "Wow, where do we carry that, I have never seen one".  He was serious!!  I was blond at the time, but I did not laugh at him even though it was hard as hell not to.  Women can be so sweet to guys. .

Note for others reading this -- Crescent Wrenches are adjustable and work on Metric and U.S. bolts and screws just fine. 

That is so hilarious gurl

• Forum Moderator

The first time I went into such a store dressed female it was useful. I was so nervous I couldn't think straight as the staff were young, male and fit! lol. This handsome guy came up, sorted things out and served me at the till, in front of an old man who seemed rather upset as he thought I was jumping the queue. I didn't think I was passing but I think being nervous helped ?

Tracy

Queue jumping in the UK is a capital offence, isn't it? ?

17 hours ago, MaryMary said:

"whaaaaat???? is that possible a girl who is also a father?"

I bet that raised a lot of questions at home! 

• 2 weeks later...

yep and the old chestnut lol!!!!! skirting board ladder , tarten paint and box of sparks for the angle grinder lol

Those are good. I'd not heard of any of them before. I'm definitely going to ask for tartan paint. ?

• Forum Moderator

I've got one for you, when I was in the Air Force we were cleaning our fans for our AC units.  us lowly airmen convinced a Staff Sargent we needed Prop wash for the fans and sent him to the main base to find some.  

Another time he forgot to release the parking brake on one of our trucks.  Got about 3/4 mile down our road and walked back complaining something was wrong with the truck.  We had him looking for a chrome muffler bearing for weeks.

Prop wash is the air blown back by the propeller of an airplane.  Anyone in the Air Force should know that.  And there is no such thing as a muffler bearing, chrome or otherwise.  but I really liked the metric crescent wrench, I'll keep that one for the next time I am annoyed by a hardware store clerk.

willow

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sky hook is another

and the most obvious but the one most fall for is "a long weight"

• Forum Moderator

OK this thread has gone off the tracks for so long.  Back to the original idea...

You know you're passing, or at least being recognized as your true gender when you receive unsolicited mail and offerings from insurance companies in the mail.  I just got an offer from Mutual of Omaha addressed to "Mrs" using my full name. 

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Was out hiking last weekend near Mt St Helens and a woman heading in the opposite direction on the trail asks me "Are you with the Bachelorette party ?" as we pass each other, and then I catch up to this larger group of girls around the next bend, all 20 somethings, that made an already great hike just a little nicer....

@Jani I'm looking forward to that!

@CyndiRae That's an amazing shot and a wonderful story!

I had one not too long ago...we had an LGBT Out at the State Fair event and part of it was a the horse track. I ended up betting $2 and winning. When I went to the counter to collect there was an older man who took my slip to give me my winnings. He asked if I had the change so that he could just give me back bills. When I apologized and said no he gave me a wink with a twinkle in his eye and just rounded up my winnings to the next dollar. 

The only down side was that I said thank you with a little more resonance than I intended and he clocked me causing the twinkle and smile to disappear. It cracked me up nonetheless. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a good one.

Had to use the restroom at my therapist's office.  A lot of other businesses use these same restrooms. I was walking into the ladies' room (I'm pre-switch) and the lady coming out told me very FORCEFULLY that I was walking into the WOMEN'S restroom. I thanked her for her attention and kept going, although I was thinking to myself "last time I checked, I still have to squat to pee..." Funny thing is, I wasn't even TRYING to pass at this point, just being who I am...this instance was honestly one of the situations that really made me stop and think about things, since this was before I realized I'm trans.

• Forum Moderator

Hey Ronin,  that reminds me of Friday night, I had gotten a call from a friend who was bored so we went to see a really terrible movie. It was so bad we ended up switching movies 15 minutes in but then we saw something pretty OK so it wasn’t a bad trip. After the movie both of us needed to use the restroom, so we both made our way to the ladies room and I took a stall on the right and she took one on the left. I’m always amazed how much cleaner the ladies room is, and how girls like to talk in there. My friend chatted with me about the movie while we took care of business, and I thought, how funny, I’ve always wanted to talk to somebody while in the bathroom! She finished first and let me know she would see me in the lobby, so I said “OK see you there”. I went to wash my hands and a few ladies were there as well, so once our hands were dry we started playing with our hair and checking our faces. I think I started this first but we all ended up doing it, and the girl to my left said “you look fine don’t overdo it“ and I laughed and thanked her. As I headed off to the lobby leaving the two girls at the mirror, I started thinking, I guess I blend in now ...

• 2 weeks later...

I keep having experiences in bathrooms....Scared a grandma with her granddaughter at a clothing store yesterday. Had to do some shopping with my mother and while there had to use the restroom. Since I'm pre-transition, I still use the women's room. I was washing my hands when the gramma and kid walk in. She takes a look at me, panics, steps back outside to look at the gender placard on the door, then starts asking "women? women?" so I said, yes, women, and walked out. Felt good to finally acknowledge that I really don't belong there, and people notice!

Also felt good to walk through all the women's clothes and realize I don't have to pretend to like them anymore!!! I can't wait to get some surgery and hormones done...I'll pass so easily in no time.

• 3 months later...

You know you pass when....a man follows you from Women's Garments to Cosmetics in the department store to hit on you. That happened last week. He wasn't my type, but he was charming about it all.

I fibbed about having a boyfriend when he asked. It diffused any issue, and it was a positive experience overall.