• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

my brain

jo jo

my god whats happened to my brain lol........... before hrt i could build flat pack furniture but now.......... for example today attempted to build bookshelf to be used as shoe rack but did you think i could do it well i did in the end after tears and tantrums lol wow wheres my masculinity gone lol theres certain times in life i think we do need men lol

• Forum Moderator

Shortly after i transitioned i also had trouble doing the things i had done for years as a man.  My cabinet shop sat idle as did the sawmill.  There was period when i simply had to find myself.  What did it mean to be me and open to the world?  Time has passed.  The farm continues and my shop and mill may not be as active as they once were.   I think that is more a matter of circumstances than gender change.  I certainly don't do as much mechanical work as i once did.  I guess i do more of what i enjoy now than i once did.

You may find that as well JoJo.  

Hugs,

Charlize

The hormones definitely do a number on one's brain. I had an initial phase where my male brain took a 90 degree turn where all I could think, dream, and emote about was female things. Finally it returned to center where I could at least think rationally and quit being the complete idiot I had been acting like. As the years went by my interests have changed in a big way. I used to hunt and fish I liked to shoot at the local range, reload and even cast my own lead bullets. I haven't touched any of that stuff in years, the guns in the locker are gathering dust and spider webs. My interests have turned to plants and flowers and tending to my Koi fish and maintaining the enormous pond and waterfall I created.

• Forum Moderator
45 minutes ago, Marci said:

I used to hunt and fish I liked to shoot at the local range, reload and even cast my own lead bullets. I haven't touched any of that stuff in years, the guns in the locker are gathering dust and spider webs. 

I second this statement, I have lost the desire... Hard cast lead with some extra tin has always worked great for me, even in 9mm and 38 super, but I find myself considering selling everything off to buy clothes and shoes... Maybe I’ll keep my sweet little 1966 22lr Remington 572 pump, it is magically accurate at rediculous distances, and just plain fun...

Hugs,

Jae

Selling off firearms and tools is a mistake, just put them away. There may come a time in this country that you will need those things to survive, if not to use yourself, they may be worth plenty while bartering for something you really need.

• Forum Moderator

I can't say this is true for natal women because I know some pretty sharp ones but the change to E has dulled the intensity of how I look at things.  Ditsy, I don't want to admit to that but I've gotten indecisive at times.  Like Charlize my shop isn't used as much as it once was.  

Jani

so its not just me then lol i have also noticed my interests have have changed not feminine nor masculine but more gender neutral i used to be a big follower of football or as you in america call soccer thats wained for me i watch less sport now and more factual or historical programmes i also prefer shopping more now lol

I don't know if this is normal but since stating  HRT colors look different than before the only way I can describe it is they look much sharper in tone as if I see them more clearly than before, as for changes in activity I always did the family cooking mostly out of necessity now I do it for pleasure in see what I can do.

• Forum Moderator
6 hours ago, claire1000 said:

I don't know if this is normal but since stating  HRT colors look different than before the only way I can describe it is they look much sharper in tone as if I see them more clearly than before, as for changes in activity I always did the family cooking mostly out of necessity now I do it for pleasure in see what I can do.

I absolutely agree with this, I don’t know what it is but colors are definitely more vivid now somehow, my favorite color changed as well, sadly I kind of stole that color from my wife and she resents it... I agree with the latter as well as I’m really excited about kitchenware now! I really like 50s era colors and patterns, but it seems like the easiest thing to be able to match with all the available colors will just be red, but red kitchenware is kind of neat so I guess that would work and I think it would be a little more cost effective since they’re so much availability.

Hugs,

Jae

It is interesting that several of you mentioned colors.  I just saw a youtube video which stated that females can perceive more colors then males.  Have any of you noticed more sensitive sense of smell?

• Forum Moderator

@Janeshannon.    Oh yes absolutely, my sense of smell is definitely getting rather confusing, right after I finish a workout I swear that every single time I smell some kind of chemical or chlorine smell and I’m not sure if it’s coming from my sweat or if it’s in the workout room but it’s a really odd thing that I’ve never experienced before. I can also say that some food smells are simply turning me off hard-core now even though I kind a like the Food being prepared. For whatever reason preparing eggs in the kitchen is starting to really bug my sense of smell even though I love eggs so I don’t quite get that either. I will say however that the biggest thing I’ve noticed is my sense of taste, as my palate has completely changed. And I wish I understood some of the things going on with my brain but I’m definitely feeling some rather different things going on. I once watched a comedian Do a bit on the differences between the male and female brain, I want to say it was George carlin but then again I don’t think it was George carlin so I can’t be sure, but he described the female brain is a ball of wires that has a constant flow of thoughts and many thoughts simultaneously where a woman could pick and choose between any thought at any given moment processing all of them simultaneously. Where a man could only do one thing at a time much like a single drawer library that must be opened and closed for each independent thought as each thought had to be accessed then put away then the new thought accessed then put away for a new thought. I honestly thought this was a great description, and I guess it’s possible that my ball of wire brain is starting to function since these other thoughts are invading my  singular focus. 

Hugs,

Jae

• 2 weeks later...

my sense of smell has vastly improved its quite comical because i work in a male orientated workplace now i notice there sweaty odour as i didnt b4 hormones lol

New Member here so hello all started hormones 3 months ago sense of smell has changes so much the stench of mens bathrooms is horrible now, and i can smell bo much more, boobs are sore and am told a B cup now though i did not expect that much of growth in 13 weeks, But my blood pressure has come down to normal levels, feeling great though. and lost almost 13 Kg since march.

keira c welcome to the world of estrogen hun are your boobs sore yet lol are your emotions everywhere lol

you are right claire 1000 but colours are more vivid i think most of my senses have improved i dont know why maybe im more relaxed less aggressive less competetive just more easy going but a lot more emotional

28 minutes ago, KeiraC said:

New Member here so hello all started hormones 3 months ago sense of smell has changes so much the stench of mens bathrooms is horrible now, and i can smell bo much more, boobs are sore and am told a B cup now though i did not expect that much of growth in 13 weeks, But my blood pressure has come down to normal levels, feeling great though. and lost almost 13 Kg since march.

Hello, Keira! I'm at 2 1/2 months and can agree with everything you've written, except the the BP change. I now find men's room awful places to visit, especially if someone else is there. I also went out looking very girly yesterday and visited a Home Depot. It was not a pleasant experience. I felt everyone was looking at me though I know this wasn't true. I felt a bit vulnerable too because I'm very thin.

Overall, I'm VERY happy to be where I'm at :)

Gwen

I have to say, many or most of my interests didn't change.  I can say that I've added things but I haven't really stopped doing what I did before.  Some things better...some things with more effort.  LOL

1 hour ago, Gwen said:

Hello, Keira! I'm at 2 1/2 months and can agree with everything you've written, except the the BP change. I now find men's room awful places to visit, especially if someone else is there. I also went out looking very girly yesterday and visited a Home Depot. It was not a pleasant experience. I felt everyone was looking at me though I know this wasn't true. I felt a bit vulnerable too because I'm very thin.

Overall, I'm VERY happy to be where I'm at :)

Gwen

I suppose what suprised me was the change so fast also skin is softer and more shiny, I was expecting it to be more long term I have a bit of weight on which is dropping off since i started hormones, because I feel less hungry.

my weights dropping slowly but not quick enough for me i have changed diet maybe its my age lol

I hope this is okay to say, but this sounds so much like pregnancy! Hormones are so fascinating...

Just now, jo jo said:

my weights dropping slowly but not quick enough for me i have changed diet maybe its my age lol

I am finding cravings for certain foods and also I am eating less, the sense of well being is amazing,

46 minutes ago, Briana said:

I have to say, many or most of my interests didn't change.  I can say that I've added things but I haven't really stopped doing what I did before.  Some things better...some things with more effort.  LOL

Its funny you say that i am finding I have less strength in the upper body.

Keira

but to be honest im quite a happy lady ? i quite like my new emotions ? buuuuut i know i got another 5 yrs for full transition xx

Just now, KeiraC said:

Its funny you say that i am finding I have less strength in the upper body.

Keira

yes ive noticed that aswell because i do a physical job and finding it very difficult lol i also noticed i bruise easier now lol