• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

changing my name

thatpeep

I've had an ideal name that I've wanted to use for ages now but now that I've moved to uni someone in my class has the same name :( Do you think it will be weird? Should I try and find another name? Has anyone got any advice??

• Admin

Tons of people have the same name.  Look at all the Michaels and Jessicas and Jennifers and Thomases.  Nothing wrong with not being the only person called by your name.

• Forum Moderator

I would use the name you love regardless of how many others may share it.  It's funny how often folks with the same name seem to be together.  I never thought Ryan was a common name and yet in one group to which i belong there are 3 Ryans.  We just add the first letter of their last name to differentiate.

You might want to post in the introduction forum to meet more folks.  Welcome!

Hugs,

Charlize

• Forum Moderator

Eventually you'll move on to a new environment with different people so be who you want to be.

Jani

• 3 weeks later...

If you knew how many Robin's and Robyn's there are in my social circle you would laugh.  Your name is as much a part of your identity as anything else.  If it fits you it's yours.

• Forum Moderator

I agree with the other sentiments here, your name is your name, others will also have this name but it is not of a concern to you, especially since it’s just someone at school. I suppose it might be different if it were a direct family member as I have thought of this very thing myself, but otherwise I wouldn’t give it any concern. You are who you are and your name is your name. Yesterday I drove out to an old friend that I hadn’t seen in a long time, he had been right alongside me 14 years ago when both of our motorcycles hit the side of a Buick, he had gone through hell and back with me, but I needed to tell him about my new journey. I was rather worried how this might go, as he lives way out in the woods past any paved road, and it’s miles of dirt trails to his mountain cabin. The fortunate news is that I am here to tell you this today, and things went quite well, he is a sweet guy and has nothing but love for me, and the funny thing is that his new wife and I are going to be sharing a name, in the last few weeks the name finally came to me, and I know who I am now. I didn’t so much as decide upon it as it just settled in on its own. Jacqueline, Jackie for short, Jae for even shorter, and my biker buddie’s wife’s name just happens to be Jackie, I had commented upon meeting them that I loved her name, and half an hour later while she sipped a beer she said “no wonder you like my name so much”! I told her I was worried about soiling her good name, but she replied, “I’m sure you couldn’t do any worse than I’ve done with it, I’m afraid I’ve done more damage to the name then you could possibly imagine.”

Hugs,

Jackie

I too agree with what's already been said. Part of the fun in transition is that you get to choose a name that you like and fits who you are. I will never forget the thrill of hearing my name out loud by someone other than myself! I've settled in and it is as natural as was "his" name before I started transition, but just hearing it as I began this journey was an emotional "high". I say go with the name that you want and are comfortable with.

Hugs,

Brandi

• Forum Moderator

So, yesterday I filed for my legal packet to change my name!  I should have the packet in a few days so I can sign and approve all the changes and of course I want to make sure the gender flag is switched to female!  I don’t know how it happened but Jacqueline really took hold and grew some roots... My middle name was William and I plan to change that to Billie, as I have an aunt by that name and it seems to fit, but I’m just going to take my mothers maiden name which is also my favorite aunts current name and start calling my aunt “mom”.

I’m so excited and impatient, I know this takes time but I’m super excited to start the process!

Hugs,

Jackie B

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 128 Guests (See full list)

• Heather Shay
    • Ashley0616
    • April Marie