• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wigs versus lace with natural hair and extensions

Michelle F

Ok... I am bald.

LoL I live in the deep desert. Cochella Valley's Summer temps average 110°.

Last year it hit 122° in June.

I have heard that full wigs are very hot. Is it same with lace?

• Admin

I have never worn lace, so I can't answer your second question, Michelle.  The answer to the first question is, yes.  Which is one reason I've always worn short hair wigs.  They still get hot, but not as bad as long hair, and you can get them a lot shorter than mine.

Natural hair wigs won't be as hot, but I have heard that they are harder to take care of, more expensive (not that synthetic is cheap, mind you) and don't last as long.  My mono-filament wigs have lasted me around five years.  I have two, so I can switch them out frequently.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

The lace wigs are just a little hotter because they hold the hair wefts closer to your head and do not wick perspiration as well as the standard ones do.  They are not fully lace, only the front and the hair part.  As @Carolyn Marie says the human hair wigs are a bit less heat trapping than the synthetic ones.  Get a good HH wig if you go that way and it will last quite a long time.  For your area though, a baseball cap with an ice bag inside would be my choice.

I don't think ANYTHING can be comfortable where you live Michelle.  We were just in that area this past weekend and towards the afternoon, I got a little toasty.  And it was very moderate temperature-wise for this time of year.  Vicky may have had the best suggestion. 

On 5/23/2018 at 10:43 PM, VickySGV said:

baseball cap with an ice bag inside

LOL 

15 hours ago, Briana said:

I don't think ANYTHING can be comfortable where you live Michelle.  We were just in that area this past weekend and towards the afternoon, I got a little toasty.  And it was very moderate temperature-wise for this time of year.  Vicky may have had the best suggestion. 

LOL 

ROFL... It got to 107° overcast today. A tad warm!

• Forum Moderator

There are often times when i work on the farm when wearing a wig is simply painful.  Between the heat, dust and work i soak them and myself.  When it gets too bad i use a bandana to wrap my head and wear a broad brim UPF 50 hat if i'm in the sun.  Being bald makes life difficult but after the years pass i'm just used to it.

Hugs,

Charlize

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your replies...

I got a wig that matches where my hair was when I was active in rock playing live 35 years ago... Since Demonizing I could actually pull off a convincing Jamis Joplin shtick. Check this out!

I am finding my years as a chef have conditioned myself for this extreme heat. I was 112° today and I tolerated the wig all day... 

20180626_174941_crop_489x489.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This newest one is Brazillian Remy human hair. Also it's my natural color.

OMG... I just realized - I look like a younger version of my Mother! I used to look like my father. Hmmm!!!

That's just weird!