• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Does anyone know about this procedure?

Hi,

Has anyone undergone a double incision mastectomy procedure?

I have large breasts with loose skin and thinking of undergoing this procedure to get greater precision in nipple size and scar placement.

But I am also a little worried about this. Does this cause too much pain? I have heard that the surgical binders and dressers may be changed periodically, but how long will it take for me to be binder free? Does it take more than a month?

Does anyone know in detail regarding this procedure? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm getting peri-areolar surgery next week, but I think double incision is the kind of top surgery most people opt for! My surgeon has a great website with info about different incision types and the recovery process. If I'm not mistaken, most doctors will have patients wear a compression vest for about a week following top surgery, but some do not. However, many doctors do advise limiting activity and avoiding lifting your elbows above shoulder height for up to six months to minimize scar stretching. Most people I've heard from say that the recovery isn't too painful, but that they have lasting numbness on their chest that may or may not ever go away. I have heard that the compression binder is uncomfortable and kind of awful, but for a week I find it worth it to never have to wear a binder again. 

Your best bet is to find a surgeon in your area and schedule a consultation to see how they do things, since every surgeon does things a little differently. Make sure you see photos of their results and that you like their general style and that they have performed the surgery more than a few times-- some surgeons specialize in gender confirmation surgeries and they tend to be very skilled and knowledgeable about the trans community!

https://www.genderconfirmation.com/surgery/double-incision/ 

From what I understand, once your breasts are a certain size the double mastectomy is your only option, but if you have smaller breasts you can choose which one to do. The peri-areolar is less invasive I believe, so if you're able to it might be a better option. But from everything I've been told and read it depends entirely on breast size.

There are some great photos online if you search for them. Different surgeons will post different stages of recovery so you can get a better idea of what the scarring will look like, but of course every result will be different because every body is different. I can dig up a few sites I found if you'd like, though I can't get to them right now. Just let me know and I can find you some links.

I'm having this in December. It's the most common top surgery technique as others have said. It's not minor surgery. The link you posted said it was day surgery but in this country you have to stay overnight and do nothing at all for a week after. Your surgeon will tell you how long before you can do various things though. For results, have a look at transbucket. 

Good luck

17 hours ago, Regn said:

I'm having this in December. It's the most common top surgery technique as others have said. It's not minor surgery. The link you posted said it was day surgery but in this country you have to stay overnight and do nothing at all for a week after. Your surgeon will tell you how long before you can do various things though. For results, have a look at transbucket. 

Good luck

This is interesting to know! The clinic I'm going to (I'm in Canada) unless there are major complications one is discharged the same day and as long as you have a low key job you can go back after one to two weeks.

• Forum Moderator

While it's good to explore different experiences and possibilities it's best to remember that ultimately it will be between you and your Dr. Most Drs. have their own procedures and protocol and will want you to follow that.

From the many guys I've heard discuss their surgeries the types of surgeries can also vary from surgeon. It's probably not a good idea to become firmly committed to a specific surgery before you are evaluated by your surgeon and know his opinion based on your body and his preferences.

Johnny

@Werzle yeh we're pretty sure part of the reason the surgeons here require an overnight stay is that for 99% of people private funds pay for hospital expenses. We have a mixed public/private system somewhere in between US and Canada's from what I can understand. There's a lot more uh 'fat' (hate that term but cant think of a better one) in the private system. Really we can't see there's a whole lot of difference, medically speaking, between arriving early and leaving late and it being a day surgery, or an overnight.

Also agree with @JJ

Rayne & Sam