• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Affordable hrt in Idaho

Sassyliz86

Does anyone have any resources for affordable hormone replacement therapy? My step son wants to transition from mtf and does not have insurance. He ordered a regiment of OTC supplements from Amazon but I asked him to wait to take them to give me time to help him look for an affordable and safe alternative. I'd feel much better if he was under a doctor's care.

• Root Admin

Hello SassyLiz,

Welcome to TransPulse. :)  Yes, your stepson would be much better off under a doctors care.  The taking of herbal hormones is a waste of time and money. Herbal hormones are unregulated and could contain anything from sugar to rat droppings. I would strongly advise him not to take them.  The amounts that he would have to take to have any effects are massive and would be very toxic to his system and possibly fatal. We strongly advise against any forms of self medication.

What he needs to do is schedule an appointment with a qualified gender therapist. If the therapist finds that your step son is indeed transgender, he will then write a letter of recommendation to a doctor of your choice who will give prescriptions for legitimate hormones. That's the only legal way to transition. 

Buying black market hormones is not advised either. Self dosing is very dangerous and could also be fatal. He needs to have a complete physical and blood work done to determine what a safe dosage would be.

You can find a complete source of what is needed here.

MaryEllen

https://www.transgenderpulse.com/resource-locator/

• Forum Moderator

Hi Liz.  I agree with MaryEllen that supplements are not good.  There is no proof they contain what they purport to because unlike medications they are not regulated in any manner.   The doses required to receive any of the change they might offer is to large.   Your step son needs to be under a doctors care for this.  Planned Parenthood in some locations provides this service to transgender patients at a reasonable cost.  There are places to go to obtain lower priced HRT meds.  Walmart Pharmacy is one I know of.   Err on the side of caution with HRT.

Jani   

I concure. there is a transgender doctor here in boise idaho that i will be seeing in 2 weeks so i can the right dosage and be monitored. google transgender doctor in boise and dr. davis will come up. you might or might not need a letter and mtf transition will take awhile. it wont happen quickly. this is just what i have learn from others and research.  Susan