• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Why I'm scared of being androgyne/non-binary (If that's what I trully am)

Cass Kasinski

Hello everyone!

About a month ago I made an entry about being unsure about my gender. I was AFaB and I was questioning if I truly felt comfortable the way others looked at me. What I didn't write about, though, was the possibility of being androgyne or non-binary. There's a main reason for that, and it's that I'm terrified of being non-binary or genderqueer. Here's why:

As you can see in my profile, I live in Argentina (in South America) and literally EVERYTHING carries a femminine/masculine pronoun or article. For instance, we say "Él" instead of he/him and "Ellos" for plural, and "Ella" for she/her and "Ellas" for plural. There aren't such things as gender-neutral pronouns, and we don't have a proper translation for "they/them". Therefore, people are sort of "forced" to call you a girl or a boy when they refer to you. 

Besides, non-binary genders aren't well seen here. People see that there are only two real genders: Male and female (though they support transgender individuals). And it's fine, you can't really blame them for that. But how can you be something that doesn't really "exist" for others? How can you find a fitting pronoun if a) people find the need to see you as either male or female and b) there are, as sad as it is, no gender-neutral pronouns? I'm terrified of others not accepting how I truly feel.

So far, I'm not really considering a transition from female to male. Somewhat, I don't believe I'd feel comfortable beeing seen as male either (maybe because I haven't experimented much, but we'll get to that later). Therefore, people will be guided by what they can see: My breasts (unless I get a binder, which I really want), my hips, my height, my lips and my face structure. And obviously, those who have always known me will refer to me as she/her because it's who they are used to see. Anyways, I can't really blame them for that.

In the end, I believe I'm gender-neutral. I wouldn't mind being seen as a combination of both genders, really. In fact, I feel  that way a little bit, and I only feel comfortable in gender-neutral clothing (which is the only thing my parents have let me experiment with, as they say it already makes me look "masculine"). I believe that, if they let me cut my hair short (just as in the picture below), I would truly find what I feel comfortable with. See if it works or not. Welp, I'm gonna stop, and see what sort of feedback I get. Thx so much for reading!! I'm looking foward to seeing your replies! Bye!

Imagen relacionada

• Forum Moderator
2 hours ago, MaryMary said:

I look at your picture and I think you would rock that androgyne/ non binary look seriously

Yes If I didn't know I would have a hard time deciding male or female.  

So you have some language and cultural hurdles living in Argentina but that is not really different than the rest of us.  We all have our own struggles so don't spend a lot of time dwelling on it.  Just be you.  

5 hours ago, Cass Kasinski said:

In the end, I believe I'm gender-neutral. I wouldn't mind being seen as a combination of both genders, really.

You can present as a butch woman or a fem man, swapping between the looks as you feel like.  Inside you know who you are.  If people get "El" or Ella" wrong, try to roll with it because there are no other options in your native language, that is don't worry about things that cannot be changed.  

I know you'll do fine.  Please don't live in fear.  Come out and live as you wish.

Jani

Many of the things that you describe are very familiar to me. Settling down outside the gender binary is tricky, especially if like myself you're rather introvert and not keen on getting any unwanted attention. I just want to be myself, without people staring at me. Only that it's easier said than done.

I agree with Mary that certain things seem to be more "triggering" for some people than others. My theory is that a combination of male and female elements of gender expression (in particular if they are strong) is something people can't (or don't want to) process, whereas if you take away maleness and/or femaleness it's a little easier.

My journey so far has been about finding a balance between handling pressures due to dysphoria and those due to typical expectations about appearance. As I'm AMAB, what I need to do to feel comfortable is inevitably different from what's necessary for you. What has made a massive difference for me is starting to remove body hair and also painting my toe nails. Whereas getting rid of body hair feels almost like a necessity, there are two things that just give me that extra bit of comfort - the painted toe nails and also the fact that I've been shaving my armpits. Both would not be well seen with a lot of people I suppose, but nobody ever sees it, so there it's just my private little thing. The effect is that I'm always reminded that I'm not a guy and don't need to be. It's really more about how I feel than how others see me. And it does feel great!

Like you, I've always preferred fairly gender neutral clothing and now I'm only very gradually pushing it a little bit into the slightly more female range of gender neutral. Most people would probably not even notice. I'm still pondering if I should get rid of my beard permanently or not. I've had a few laser hair removal sessions on the neck and the results are brilliant. So I know it will work, I only need to decide if I'm absolutely sure about what I'm doing.

Sorry if this post is a bit long, messy and incoherent. Just wanted to share what's going through my head, being outside the gender binary myself. Hopefully it helps to some extent.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried going by they/them here in the states and, although it is much more excepted, 90% of people refused to use the pronoun seeing it as a.-not real or b.-making this -crap- up as well as all of these other assumptions . It is very frustrating. I was using the pronouns for different reasons as I can't transition yet to look like a he/him so I tried to use it to avoid the she/her pronouns as that literally made me have out of body experiences.  It became too overwhelming and debilitating to deal with but how do you explain that to someone who thinks gender is a construct or -since they are comfortable in their cis body you should be too or something. 

I feel for you. It won't be easy. And if you are an introvert asserting yourself and creating a new language is not going to be a healthy thing to do. And also-it shouldn't be your job or burden to do. You could try going back and forth with the gendered language but I'm not sure if others will be on board with it. 

My best advice - try your very best to just have fun with gender and be an advocate for others who are like yourself but also probably don't feel comfortably creating a language that would allow for their existence. Language shapes, marginalizes, oppresses, and frees people. It is a very real and beautiful thing but when language is stagnant, it is debilitating. 

I wish you the best and hope you keep posting here and keeping us up to date with your world. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, wow, first of all you're BEAUTIFUL and could totally rock any look you want. I love your androgynous look in the picture you showed us.

A lot of the concerns you have are pretty universal, and are things that I am dealing with as well. English certainly does have they/them pronouns, but the percentage of English-speakers who are willing to accept they/them as singular gender neutral pronouns is still quite small.

I think I remember reading about a genderqueer person in France whose solution to the lack of nongendered pronouns was to use both masc and fem pronouns in equal measure. Sometimes lui, sometimes elle. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but maybe something to consider.

You've found a great place to talk about this stuff. Glad you're here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

As one who does not like gender neutral pronouns it's not really an issue for me, but I have found that the general population don't really think in those terms anyway. If they did they would use such terminology more. People tend to call me, either male or female naturally, with perhaps many women using more feminine terminology ('love', 'sweetie' and that sort of thing). I can think of only one time (actually recently) when I overheard a woman talking to a man referring to me, saying 'They have got gender issues'. I am not sure how to take that one ? . Seriously though, it cannot really be avoided in a binary defined society. Here there are gender neutral pronouns but they make one stand out. I am not sure that it is really a better solution. I once read somewhere that androgyne people get on best with androgyne people. I have not really come across anything since to change that perception.

Tracy

• 7 months later...

The time I was questioning I was really confused about pronouns. I try to use neutral language but in Brazil even the word "Thank You" is gendered. I end up been transgender (MtF). I don't know much about your language but in Portuguese the world person when referring to yourself helps a little with the lack of neutral pronouns. I always preferred female pronouns because the only thing I was sure at the time that I was not a man.

On 7/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, Cass Kasinski said:

So far, I'm not really considering a transition from female to male. Somewhat, I don't believe I'd feel comfortable beeing seen as male either (maybe because I haven't experimented much, but we'll get to that later).

Internet for me was the first test if I would feel good as a woman. And I notice live as a woman was much better, especially with the fact I tend to socialize better with woman than man. And feel more confident as a woman. But the most important thing it's discover how do you feel better (male, female, androgyne, or any non-binary gender).

You are really beautiful as you are, but what you see in the mirror matters much more than what I or other people think  ^_^.

• 2 years later...

My spanish is (so very) limited and my toe is barely dipped into english vernacular of the gender spectrum

however, I do remember a friend mentioning "elle" as a gender neutral, or ending words with "e" instead of "a" or "o"

that being said, I have yet to assert the "they" pronoun much -it's really only come up with medical professionals, most of whom are pretty good about getting it right.

but yeah, I don't know if it's something my immediate family will be able to break the habit of (shrugable)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a native English speaker, but I'm learning Spanish and I started out the year using "Ella" and slowly transitioned over to "Él." It was the closest I could get to a gender neutral term and I personally don't have a problem with it, but I live in an English speaking area and I don't live with constantly gendered pronouns the same way you do. Spanish not having a gender neutral pronoun does suck, though. Would make things easier, in my opinion.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 1 Anonymous, 189 Guests (See full list)

• April Marie
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • Susie
    • VickySGV
    • Jamey-Heather
    • Maddee
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Quillian
    Newest Member
    Quillian

1. l.demiurge
      l.demiurge
    • Maddee
      Flight faraway forthcoming Fabulous forum friends 😊😊🎸🦂
    • Maddee
    • KathyLauren
      One of our cats is polydactyl.  He has 7 toes on each front paw and 5 on each back paw, for 24 toes total.   Another one, an ex-feral who, at the time, was free to roam, climbed 50 feet up a tree without having any thought about how he was going to get down.  His pal climed down backwards, but he couldn't.  He ended up coming down by leaping from branch to branch.  Which nearly gave us heart attacks, because he only has one eye and therefore has no depth perception.   The other ex-feral (both are now indoor cats) obviously does not have those soft pads on his feet.  At night, when we are in bed, we can hear him stomping around the house.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      The two o'clock Onshoring meeting was going well.  Taylor was leading, inviting other people up to speak on their specialties. Aerial photogrammetry and surveying, including the exact boundary, were out for contract signature  Gibson had handled that - Manufacturing was supposed to, but somehow hadn't happened.  Legal issues from Legal. Accounting reported on current costs, including all upkeep, guard salaries, etc.  Manufacturing was supposed to give those numbers, but they hadn't.   The downside was the VP of Manufacturing.  He had arrived at the meeting red-faced, his tie askew, clutching a bottle. It smelled strongly of vodka. He had never done anything in his twenty years of being VP of Manufacturing, and he did not like being asked now.   "Mr. ----, do you have the inventory we asked for?" Taylor asked politely.  VP Gibson had asked him to have his people go through the plant and not only inventory but assess the operational status of every piece of equipment.  They needed to know what they had. "I'm not going to take any f---- orders from a g-d- tra---," he snarled. "God knows what kind of perverts it has dragged into our fair city and bangs every night." "That is completely out of line." That was Gibson.  Taylor controlled herself.  That was a shot at Bob, not just at Taylor.  She was glad Bob was not there to do something stupid.  Had Mrs. McCarthy been talking? What had she said?  Was she given to embellishment?  Taylor took a deep breath. "I'm not sorry.  You f--- can take this stupid onshoring --- and shove it up your -" "That is quite enough."  This was the head of HR. "You can take your sissy ways and sashay -" "You are fired." "You can't fire me." "Oh, yes I can," said the office manager.  The VP took another swig from his bottle. "Try it."  He looked uncertain. "I will have you removed.  Are you going to leave on your own?  I am calling the police to help you leave." And he dialed the number. He stomped out cursing. They heard him noisily go down the hall.  This was the front conference room.  He actually went through security and out the door, throwing his badge on the ground on his way.  The guard picked it up. They could see this through the glass wall. "Can you fire a VP?" "The Board told me that if anyone gives me problems they should be shown the door. Even a VP.  I can fire everyone here. I won't, of course. Those were problems." "Are you alright, Taylor?" She nodded.  "I've heard worse.  Shall we continue?" And they did.   The last item was that certain business people in China had been arrested, and the corporation that had been supporting them all these years had been dissolved.  They were on their own, and the Board was dead serious on straightening things out.  After this meeting, Taylor believed it.  She did not attend the meeting to discuss how to distribute the few duties the VP of Manufacturing had done.  That was ultimately up to the Board.    
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Lunch was at Cabaret, still free.  The place was quiet: it was the sort of place you took a business client to impress them, and the few other people were in business suits.  Most of the legal profession was there.   She told him of the morning's frustrations, breaking her own rule about confidentiality.  She asked Karen how the branding was going, and Karen had snapped back that she had not started on it yet - they had all these proposals.  Taylor had explained that it was important, for the two o'clock meeting, and Karen told her to do it herself.  Karen pointed out that Taylor could not touch her - her uncle was on the Board and her brother was VP of Manufacturing.  Nor would the two computer guys go out to the plant - they were playing some kind of MMORPG and simply not available. If she wanted the pictures, she should go.  Mary prayed an Ave Maria, but both she and Brenda were racing to get the proposal out. The client wanted it Friday for review.   She didn't bring up what Mrs. McCarthy had told her.  She wasn't sure how to approach it.  She thought of telling her of a 'something more comfortable' she had bought in case he ever DID show up at her door. It was in the bottom drawer of her dresser, ready to go.  Instead she talked about moving to a place with a garage.  Several of the abandoned houses had one, and they had been maintained well with China cash.   Bob had finally realized that when he was introduced as Bob, Taylor's boyfriend, that was just how things were done here. Other people had introduced each other in terms of family relationships, which were strong.  Long before you found out anything else about someone, you knew how they were related.  Family kept people from leaving Millville.    "What is the real name of this town, anyway?"   She laughed.  "I am trying to find that out.  It's 'Welcome to Millvale' when you come into town from the north, and 'Welcome to Millville' on the south.  I have counted two other variants."   "What a town. Roosevelt is like that, with the families, but there is only one spelling."  
    • Ashley0616
      Nothing wrong with that. I'm glad that you found what makes you happy! Just curious what does your wife think? If it's too personal I understand.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      – According to a recent survey, the most popular name for a dog is Max. Other popular names include Molly, Sam, Zach, and Maggie.
    • Ashley0616
    • Ashley0616
      Either new environment/ not potty trained
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Bob was on his way home from the dojo and he "just happened" to driver by her place. It was 10:30.  Her light was still on.  He knew exactly where she was sitting.  He saw her in his mind.   A fierce wave of desire that took his breath away suddenly showed up. All he had to do was stop, get out of the car, walk to the door and knock.  She would answer, glad to see him.  She would know why he was there and what he wanted. She would invite him in, maybe get him something to drink, disappear for a moment and return in "something more comfortable."  She would lead him back. Oh, joy.   And never, ever speak to him again afterwards.  Or she would not let him in but be angry about it.  In no way, emotionally, physically, mentally or spiritually, was she ready for this, and he knew it, if he was honest with himself, and she knew he knew it.  She would look upon it as another assault and their relationship would be irretrievably broken.  He would have to leave town. It would devastate her. It would devastate him.    He fought himself.  He was frozen to his seat as his reason and his body fought. He was twenty four years old, a full-blooded male with normal desires; he had just worked out and he was ready.  All he had to do now was open the car door. No one would know. He held his hands, one in the other, to keep one from moving, against his reason and will, to open that door.  He did not want to be a slave of his desires.   He looked across the street.  Mrs. McCarthy, sister of his landlord, was peeking though her window.  She knew his car.  Everyone in town would know by noon the next day if he got out of the car.  Taylor did not need that, either, and she would know, if he came to the door now, what a selfish thing it would be: in his own eyes, in the eyes of Taylor, in the eyes of the town, and worst of all, in the eyes of God.   He sat there a moment longer.  He was, as he reflected, entering into her sufferings in a small way that she would be made whole, healthy and happy: what he wanted more than anything.  But this hurt.  Why had all this come on her?  He asked God again, but there was only silence. He drove home in that silence. He chided himself for even going on her street and for driving on it other nights.  He would stop that, he told himself.   ------------------------------------------   The next morning Taylor went out to her car to go to work.  Mrs. McCarthy met her before she got to it. "I thought you were going to get lucky last night, dearie," she said. Taylor was puzzled. "Why, what do you mean?" "That young fellow - you know, Bob - he's been driving around here, going up and down the street some nights, not stopping.  Well, last night he parked and sat in his car for a while.   I think he was staring at your window.  I think he was trying to get up the courage to knock on the door. I was rooting for him.   But then he drove away.  Faint heart never won fair lady, as they say. What a shame. You two are a lovely couple.  Well, have a good day!" "Thank you, Mrs. McCarthy."  Taylor knew Bob extremely well and knew what had been going through his mind.  She was more than grateful he had not gotten out of the car. Better for him, better for her, better for everybody.  Surgery "down there" sooner than later.  This was driving the poor boy crazy. It was driving her crazy, too.  But she had a lot to work through. Surgery "up here" she said, pointing to her head.  She woke up her therapist on the way to work.  They were still talking when she pulled into her designated parking spot.  That was a perk that had happened yesterday.  She took a deep breath and headed into work. It would be another wild day.
    • Ashley0616
      bittersweet: especially : pleasure accompanied by suffering or regret
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I'm thinking about some interactions yesterday I did, while presenting as male but acting as female, that were far better than I did when I was presenting as male and acting as male.  #girlunderhood. I do a crappy job at acting as male and I am giving it up.  I am not talking about feminine gestures or presentation but just relating as a woman.  People don't realize I am doing it but it is a whole lot easier to do.   You don't just put on a dress and BOOM you are a girl.  You are a girl and you put on a dress.  Or not. Whether I am in jeans or a skirt (I wish, wife would have lots to say) I am a girl.  I don't need $250 in makeup and heels and hose and all that.  I don't need surgery. Honey, I have arrived.  Now I have to work out how that best works in my life, causing the minimal damage and creating the maximum good, but I have more working room.   Oh, and I am still pissed off at everyone and everything. #Contradictory.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      @Willow it is certainly possible that my husband planned it. Placing me in the path of an opportunity....he certainly does things like that. GF has done some work for the company as an outside consultant, so I'm sure the company owner knows what potential resources are around.    It could also have just happened randomly. He has taken me to work with him before, just because he likes to have me around. I remember one time that I fell asleep with my head in his lap, and he held a meeting with his subordinates without waking me and making me move.  The company culture is family oriented and relaxed.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      The photo is great.  Software is phenomenal but it also is sort of a promise of things to come. Years ago this sort of thing took a photographer and Photoshop and all sorts of things and you would say, "I can look like THIS??"   Me, I am a duck.  That's from my driver's license.  Just kidding.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.