• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

New Pharmacy Experience

Dakota16

Has anyone had a negative experience changing pharmacies? Last week, I transferred my prescriptions to a new pharmacy since they had generics on their $4 list. They didn't have them that day, but said they could get it the next day. So I went the next day to get my stuff, and the lady helping me pulls out this list of meds shipped in and ready to be picked up. She finds me on the list, under my dead name since I haven't legally changed it yet, and gets this odd look of recognition before digging through the tubs looking for my meds. She finds them all and gets them ready. As she comes to the counter to ring me up, she tells me something that made no sense at all--and still doesn't.

"The Spiro I could understand, but I was wondering why you needed E. Now it makes sense!"

Really? Why doe she even care about what I'm taking? I wanted to get onto her about it, but decided against it. But still...what the heck?

Terribly unprofessional. It's one thing for someone to discuss it with you after you bring it up, but that's pretty bad. 

My guess is that she knows Spiro is used to treat high blood pressure and saw your dead name when she was putting the order together. With the E, this probably confused her. However, upon seeing you the light bulb went on since you're obviously a woman.

Some people have a terrible habit of saying out loud whatever's going on in their head. Shake 'em off!

• Admin

This is mild compared to what could have gone on thankfully. It could be a training issue too.  The "on lable" use of Spiro is more common.  She now belongs to the 16% of people who know they have met a Trans person. She needs to be aware of her awesome new status.You aer understandably miffed however.  

My partner manages a bunch of pharmacies in CA and I know if one of his pharmacists did that he'd want to know and be sure to talk to them about how to talk with trans patients (hint: it's with the same respect for privacy you give all your patients). So if you are upset enough to want to write a note to the store, I think that would be totally appropriate. 

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. 

When I picked up my first prescription only the spiro made it, the doctor sent the other one and I went back in a few minutes. The pharmacist said oh they found the other one let’s see what you got, she pulls it out of the bag and looked at it then me and in a quiet voice leaned across the counter said this is, this is estrogen is that what you were expecting I replied yes. I thought she handeled it well. 

Hope it gets better for you. 

• Forum Moderator

Dakota I would speak with the pharmacy manager or head pharmacist the next time you are in the store, whether or not you have a script to be picked up.  She obviously breached the level of confidence and privacy you are owed.  

Jani

• Forum Moderator

Oh goodness me, I agree with everyone here, that is definitely a breach of patient confidentiality as well as simply bad manners !

Hugs, 

Jackie 

• Forum Moderator

This does not surprise me in the least, and I would probably just let it go. When I was working in healthcare (although addmittedly not working with drugs), it was part of my job as I saw it, to be observant just in case a mistake has been made somewhere. I can imagine being in a similar position, with a confusion in combination of drugs with gender without realising background. The problem here, as I see it, would be the conversation being in the open with possible eavesdroppers (I think over here pharmacists are covered by medical confidentiality as are other health professionals, although not being one I don't fully know. They do have a responsibility to check what they are doing, and essentially flag up dangerous situations).

Tracy