• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Denver Health GCS

Cindy Truheart

So Denver Health is now performing Vaginoplasty. Their surgeon is Dr. Cary and he apparently assisted in this procedure many years ago and now has gotten training with Dr. Bowers enough so that he is beginning to perform his own now. I put myself on the list for surgery thinking that by the time they got around to me I'd have all my ducks in a row and Dr. Cary would be pretty experienced since there were over a hundred people on the list already. A little over a week ago they contacted me and said that they had an opening in September and asked if I wanted it. They said that there were people on the list who weren't prepared yet or lost their insurance or whatever and that they were working their way down the list looking for someone who could be ready in time. I jumped at the chance because there has been some shake ups at work and I'm afraid the next one may affect our insurance so WTH, let me get the surgery now while it's still covered, right?

So I do the last minute scramble for letters, hair removal, and what not. Then I get back to them and let them know that I can be ready in time, no problem, and can you please tell me the specific date so that my Electrologist knows how much time we have? They give me a tentative date of September 17 and tell me that they can confirm that next week. In the meantime I start wondering when they are going to schedule me up for a consultation or something and since I let my boss know I was having a procedure done that would have me out for 6 weeks or more, he's been asking me questions so that he can plan for me being out.

I contacted them today to try and get an answer as to whether or not that date is confirmed as well as asking about a consultation and a few other things. Their response was an invite to a semi-public show and tell event like the one I went to a few months back that isn't going to happen until 3 weeks before my surgery date. I'm 55 days out from my "tentative" surgery date now. I haven't met Dr. Cary, I haven't been scheduled for a consultation, I don't know anything about the kind of procedure that he plans to perform other than "it's just like Dr. Bowers".

At this point I'm starting to freak out a little bit. I don't think that it's too much to ask that they provide me with some more information or at least schedule a consultation so that I know what to expect. Doesn't he need to look at me to determine if I may need a skin graft or something? I understand that this program is new for DH, but shouldn't they be on the ball more than this? Are these signs that I should be worried because they have their respective heads stuck where the sun doesn't shine?

A little advice please...

• Forum Moderator

I think its normal to freak out a bit but this is a little odd to me.  I'm sure you explained that you had been given a tentative date.  Would the firm date be within a day or two?  This is only reasonable as you need to take off time from work and plan your recovery.   I had it all in writing before I cut my doctor a check.  I was eventually moved out one day due to something at the hospital.  I think you should have at least one sit down meeting with the doctor.  I would contact them again and ask for clarification.

Jani 

Yes and yes Jani. In my email I specifically asked for confirmation of the date so that I could make plans and specifically asked when I could expect a consultation. I've sent another email just now trying to get a straight answer instead of being sent a form letter inviting me to a meeting. I'm just wondering about the timeline here, what should I be expecting to happen and when?

• Forum Moderator

I would get on the phone and speak to them personally.  Email is fine but not for details that need to be sorted out.  

Jani

• Admin

I think you are probably going to be just fine.  Dr, B and I had spoken at one Convention and she did not actually "look over my landscape" until the day before the IV lines went into me and I went sleepy-bye. The technique she used on me found PLENTY of material to get me 6.5" of depth, and 1.25" inches of diameter as the swelling went down.  You were not on puberty blockers, nor on HRT for a super long time. 

The paper work does sound a little scratchy, but you have only a few days less than I did because I was a fill in too.  I would first confirm that you will go to their meeting, and the next steps will fall in place.  If you say yes I'll bet you get the confirmation quickly. After all, they are using a computer to do the scheduling and it needs something done before humans can act.  <Sarcasm>   The last weeks before my surgery were a nightmare, and I was patient 990 something.  I just missed being 1K.  You might go to the hospital to help things along.

• Forum Moderator

My doctor didn't "examine" me prior to surgery either.  They understand what they're working with, no need to see another unless you've expressed that you're somehow unique.

Jani

Well, I'm not getting my surgery.

They had told me when I first applied that my insurance would cover it. I've been operating on that false information ever since. I finally found out the truth Thursday when Denver Health called to tell me that my insurance wouldn't cover it and did I want to set up a payment plan for the $75,000?

I cried for two days, I could barely bring myself to get out of bed. Now I have to figure out what to do next. I've already gotten a loan for my FFS surgery so now I have to pay it off before I can start saving. I was 50 days away and now I'm going to be waiting for years. I'm doing better today and I'm going to try and keep my head up, but this is rough...

Everyone stay away from Denver Health, they can't get their act together for nothing, I don't care what the quality of the surgeon is.

• Admin

Does your insurance (A) not cover it at all, or (B) not cover it with Denver Health?  There are some newer places  here in So. Calif if the answer is (B) that I have friends being accepted at easily.  I was turned down by two surgeons before mine became reality from a better doctor than I imagined I would ever have.

• Forum Moderator

I'm sorry to hear this.  Don't be taken in by the $75K number.  That is billable amount to the insurance company which is ALWAYS inflated.  GRS can be had for $20K - $30K depending on who you see and where you go. 

Jani

23 hours ago, VickySGV said:

Does your insurance (A) not cover it at all, or (B) not cover it with Denver Health?  There are some newer places  here in So. Calif if the answer is (B) that I have friends being accepted at easily.  I was turned down by two surgeons before mine became reality from a better doctor than I imagined I would ever have.

As I understand it, my insurance covers trans care as a general rule. However, DH never actually checked on the policy my company has, which it turns out, doesn't cover trans care. They could have done a "review" or some such babble but they said it could take up to 60 days for that process and my surgery was going to happen in 50 days. If they still decided to not cover then I would be on the hook for the full amount.

20 hours ago, Jani said:

I'm sorry to hear this.  Don't be taken in by the $75K number.  That is billable amount to the insurance company which is ALWAYS inflated.  GRS can be had for $20K - $30K depending on who you see and where you go. 

Jani

It was my understanding that the $30k price tag didn't cover the surgery room, the instruments, the Anesthesia, etc, etc. And that ultimately it would work out to be that high of a price. In either case, why would I pay double or triple what it costs in Thailand?

• Admin

Granted, my surgery was 5 years ago, but I paid $24,100 out of pocket up in San Mateo CA.  which was Surgeon $11,100.00, Hospital $11,500.00 and Anesthesiologist $ 1,500.00.  Two years after, a friend who used to be here had the same surgery, same doctor, and while her insurance was billed much more, they settled her claim for $26,000.  She and I were laughing about it for some time. 

My estimated costs for Thailand were an even $25,000 due to travel expenses including Visa's and some "tips".  As I said above the two Thai surgeons had turned me down.   

• Forum Moderator

This was mine.  $15k-doctor, $4k-Hospital and $2k-Anesthesia, 14 months ago.  The idea that overseas is cheaper never includes airfare, lodging or very importantly, the subsequent post op appointments.   

I'm thinking it's a moot point now anyway. Thanks for the advice, but I don't think I'm going to need it.

• Forum Moderator

FYI, you're not the only one, the world is changing, and more head winds blowing in the regulatory landscape.