• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Eyebrows and nails.

Natalie86

So I have decided that I am going to bring out more of my feminine self. I would like to tweeze my eyebrows into a more feminine shape. Also I would like to shape my fingernails into a more feminine shape. Does anyone have advice of how to do either of these? I keep my brows trimmed and my unibrow at bay but I think I need to thin them. I am growing my nails, not very long but I hope long enough to shape.

I recommend going to a salon for your eyebrows. They do a very good job and maintaining is a lot easier than creating. I used to get my brows waxed regularly as a guy so it’s pretty normal. 

• Forum Moderator

I had my brow waxed once but once they grew back I decided to do it myself.  It was painful but maintenance is easy.  Eventually I'll have my electrologist take care of them.  

There are plenty of tutorials on shaping your brows to look feminine.  Only pluck from the bottom to obtain an arch that looks nice. 

Jani

I'm seconding going to a salon and having a professional do it. They'll know the best brow shape for your face. In looking online, what you may think is a perfect brow shape may not be the best shape for you, especially if you go too thin. Plus, brows trend over time, so if you decide to do something permanent (like having electrolysis so they always look good), go for a timeless classic style instead of what's popular right now.

Good brows are more important than people realize. You're already on the right track with keeping your unibrow at bay. A few zaps of laser between your brows will take care of that for good. ?

i agree i often goto salon and have nails brows and eyelashes tinted they know whats best for you i usually have my brows threaded

Hi Natalie,  

Do not attempt to do your eyebrows unless you really know what you are doing; I pay around  £10 at my local brow bar. I have seen a lot of disasters the potential damage isn't worth a tenner.

Now nails I can help you with. I am a nail technician trained by the Beauty Academy. Nails really are not that difficult, what is is getting your head around the mind boggling array of products out there many of which you simply don't need. You can put a good home mani pedi kit for around  £60-70 . It really depends on what you want to achieve with your nails what to purchase however, the basics are the same. 1 use the best quality products you can afford. 2 ALWAYS  soak your nails in a nail bath (a pound or so from amazon). 3 before you trim and file your free edge put a drop of cuticle remover on the nail plate then use a cuticle tool towards the cuticle gently. The cuticle actually grows a film down the nail. You will know if you are doing it correctly as a white creamy substance will build up on the end of the tool.

SOAK the nails to remove the cuticle remover as it continues to work. 4 take a white buffing block and gently buff the nail plate across the nail DO NOT buff towards the cuticle as it easily damaged. 5 whilst the nail is still damp use an orange stick or hoof stick to gently push the cuticle back.

6 dry the nails. 7 now you are ready to start to shape the nails. I prefer using very sharp nail scissors however, unless you are very comfortable using your opposing hand invest in some high quality clippers do not use small ones you want to achieve a clean free edge. 8 take a good quality file start at the corner of the free edge and file toward the centre  (angle the file inward this helps prevent micro shattering of the free edge) 9 use a good quality prep and dehydration solution paint onto the nail and allow to evaporate this improves adhesion and prevents lifting. 

You are now ready for the pretty bits. NEVER POLISH YOUR NAILS WITHOUT A BASE COAT . Use a good polish remover and clean around the nail where it joins the skin at the side of the nail with a cotton bud. 

Colour is a highly personal preference I adore reds and purples and pink. UV gels are the most durable you should happily get three weeks wear without chipping whether you are going for colour or a more natural look the process is the same.

You will require an LED  lamp to cure the gels. Paint a thin layer of the UV base coat on the nails of four fingers then cure under the lamp for around 60 seconds. Then repeat on the thumbs. Paint your chosen colour in a thin layer and cure again.  Repeat the process. Now use a none wipe top coat one coat should suffice to achieve a mirror finish. Viola done. 

This is the basic home mani. The process for your toes is pretty much the same however, cut the toe nails straight acros and gently file the corners to prevent ingrown toe nails.

Finally finish with cuticle oil and moisturise your hands many of the chemicals used in nail products are not skin friendly.

Hope you have found this useful Natalie any questions please do not hesitate to ask me.

Kind and warm regards. 

Kali-Ann xxx

Edited by VickySGV
Per poster request.
  • Forum Moderator

Wow that is a lot of information.  Thank you Kali-Ann.  I do my own nails and take care of the cuticle and buff them prior to applying color but never considered the other steps you mention. 

Jani

1 hour ago, Jani said:

Wow that is a lot of information.  Thank you Kali-Ann.  I do my own nails and take care of the cuticle and buff them prior to applying color but never considered the other steps you mention. 

Jani

Jani thank you. Nails if you believe the magazines are all hokum and black magic it really isn't. My Last piece of advice is this;  remember nails are jewels not tools. If anyone would be interested I could do a tutorial on how to do a silk overlay to repair a broken nail. 

Kali-Ann ? xx