• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Kali-Ann Gills

Home mani pedi kit.

Kali-Ann Gills

Hi all, 

Nails can make or break an outfit however, there can be numerous reasons why some cannot use a nail technician or visit a nail salon. 

So the option is do it yourself! So off we go and end up staring at the nail products counter overwhelmed and utterly confused with the array of products available.

I am a professional nail technician and I hope to show you how to put together a home nail care kit. First off forget the new fantastic gizmos you simply don't need them. You can achieve a high quality finish to your nails without spending a fortune. What I cannot stress enough though is purchase the best quality tools that you are able to. This is not a nail course but I am going to share with you all the basics of how to do your own mani and pedi.

Hands and feet take a battering every single day so they really do need to have a bit of TLC. Also build up of hard skin on the feet can actually effect posture and in extreme cases impede mobility in later life. Let's be honest here our feet are encased in thick socks and boots for months during winter. A perfect breeding environment for all sorts of less than friendly bacteria. (I cannot advise on nail infections ingrowing toe nails or any other conditions I am not a doctor) 

So this is the basic home kit. 

LED lamp.

White buffing blocks.

A selection of good quality files. 5 various grits should suffice.

Metal cuticle tool.

Orange and or hoof sticks.

Very sharp nail scissors.

Metal cuticle nipper.

Large and small nail clippers.

Finger bath

A bowl large enough for your feet to sit in comfortably.

Foot rasp file.

Cuticle remover.

Cuticle oil.

Metal nail cleaning tool.

Nail brush.

Cotton buds.

Cotton Wool balls. 

Lint free pads.

Dehydration prep solution.

Acid primer. 

Good quality UV base coat.

Good quality UV none wipe top coat

A selection of good quality UV gel colours. There are many good colours and deals on Amazon.

Nail polish remover

Foot soak. 

Foot scrub.

Foot mask  (optional ).

Hand mask.

Large plastic food bags.

Toe separators.

Please note uv gels are impervious to regular nail polish remover the nail needs to be soaked in pure acetone or filed and bluffed off. However, UV gels should give you a good two to three weeks wear without chipping.

Ok so you have your kit. Lets get going.

Feet first. Fill the bowl with warm water enough to reach the ankles and add a small cup full of foot soak. soak your feet for around 15 minutes. 

Take a small amount of the foot scrub and gently massage into the feet one at a time and put back in the water.

Taking the foot rasp gently start removing any hard skin paying attention to the heel and ball of the foot. There may also be build up on the outside of the big toe. You are not going to remove all of the hard skin in one go.  If particularly bad seek the advice of a chiropodist. You should notice a build up of a white substance on the foot rasp. Use the rasp in a circular motion. Do each foot in turn and replace in the water. Have a warmed towel to hand.

Thinly cover each foot in the foot mask, and place the feet in the plastic bags and wrap both in the warm towel. Chill.

After 15 minutes or so remove the bags and wash off any mask residue. 

You will be amazed by how soft your feet will feel. Dry the feet thoroughly.

Now place a small dot of the cuticle remover on each nail, take your cuticle tool and using the spoon shaped end gently move from the free edge towards the cuticle. DO NOT DIG INTO THE CUTICLE.  You will notice that a white creamy substance will build up on the end of the tool this is the dissolved cuticle from the nail plate. Do all five nails and put the foot back in the water. This is a absolute must because cuticle remover will continue to work unless it is washed off. Dry the feet thoroughly.

Now you are ready to start to shape and file. Toe nails MUST BE CUT STRAIGHT ACROSS take a 240 grit file and in a single stroke file the free edge. Angle the file inward this helps prevent micro shattering of the free edge. Also lightly file the corners of the free edge to help prevent ingrown toe nails.

Almost ready for the pretty bits.

Take your white buffing block and gently buff across the nail plate to remove any ridges take your time and be careful of the cuticle. Repeat on all five nails next dampen the cuticle and using an orange stick or hoof stick gently push back the cuticle on each toe.

You have just given yourself your first home pedicure.

Paint a thin layer of the dehydration prep solution and allow to evaporate. Now paint on a thin layer of the acid primer and wait for it to evaporate. Clean around the nail with the nail brush.

Pretty time.

The best way to use UV gels is in thin layers. UV gels also have the benefit of not drying in the same way as regular polish.

Weave the toe separators through the toes.

Paint a thin layer of the UV base coat on the nails.  Put the foot in the LED lamp and cure for 60 seconds.

Paint a thin layer of your chosen colour and cure again for 60 seconds. Repeat with a second coat. Try to leave a small gap between the nail plate and the skin on either side.

Paint a thin layer of the none wipe top coat one coat should suffice for a mirror finish.

Viola done!!!!

A manicure is to all intents and purposes similar however,  there are a few differences.  Rough hands will require treatment with the best quality hand moisturising products you can afford. 

Ok so here we go

Pour warm water into the finger nail bath.  Soak the nails for around 5 minutes. Using the same process as with your toes place a small dot of the cuticle remover on the nail plate then use the cuticle tool from the free edge towards the cuticle again be careful not to damage the cuticle. Check for any ragged edges around the cuticle and GENTLY use the cuticle nipper to remove them. Repeat the process on both hands.  Once again wash off any cuticle remover. While the nails are still damp use an orange stick or hoof stick to gently push back the cuticles. 

Dry the hands thoroughly.

Take your white buffing block and gently buff across the nail plate do not touch the cuticle.

Repeat on all nails. 

Filing and shape are of course very personal however, the process is the same whatever shape you want. Use either the nail scissors or clippers to roughly shape the nail. Take your file the finest grit you have and staring at the corner of the free edge file toward the centre DO NOT USE A SAWING ACTION  this creates micro shattering of the free edge. Once you have the shape you are happy with repeat on all of your nails.

Have the towel warmed and put a thin layer of the hand mask up to the wrist place in one of the plastic bags and wrap in the warm towel leave for 15 minutes.

Repeat on both hands. Wash off any mask residue and dry your hands thoroughly.

Paint on a thin layer of the dehydration prep solution and allow to evaporate. You can use a thin layer of the acid primer however, this is not essential. Clean the nail

Precisely the same process for the UV gels as with the toes.

There you go a full manicure and pedicure. 

Tip when painting your opposing hand it is a good idea to hold something such as a small box this helps keep the nails flat and less likely to move around. It takes practice however, half a dozen attemps should be enough.

Have fun. Any questions about this or products please don't hesitate to ask me

Kali-Ann 💋 xx 

Jani

Thanks Kali-Ann!   There is more information here than I expected.  I like the idea to hold on to something like a box to keep the nails flat.

Cheers, Jani

jae bear

Wow Kali-Ann!!!  I think that’s the best Mani/Pedi tutorial I’ve ever seen in my entire life !  You clearly know what you’re doing, being a professional has it’s perks doesn’t it? I wish I could get a pedicure myself but alas my paralyzed right foot needs to be in completely covered footwear all the times, so my little piggies never see the light of day .  I do however really want to work a little harder on my  manicure skills,  and I do like the gel, so far my gel manicure is completely perfect after nearly a full week. I can see your experience is going to be absolutely invaluable to the girls here, especially me !

Hugs, 

Jackie 

Kali-Ann Gills
5 hours ago, jae bear said:

Wow Kali-Ann!!!  I think that’s the best Mani/Pedi tutorial I’ve ever seen in my entire life !  You clearly know what you’re doing, being a professional has it’s perks doesn’t it? I wish I could get a pedicure myself but alas my paralyzed right foot needs to be in completely covered footwear all the times, so my little piggies never see the light of day .  I do however really want to work a little harder on my  manicure skills,  and I do like the gel, so far my gel manicure is completely perfect after nearly a full week. I can see your experience is going to be absolutely invaluable to the girls here, especially me !

Hugs, 

Jackie 

Hi Jackie, 

Thanks. I am sorry to hear about your foot please forgive me if I caused you distress. However, if there is no medical reason you could still do your right toes they may not be seen but you would know 😆 To be honest nails are not the mumbo jumbo and black magic some would have you believe. 

One tip I am going to share with you is this. If you are not completely confident using polish and tend to get it on the skin around the nail then paint some liquid like vaseline on the skin. Once the gel is cured simply wipe off Viola no gel on the skin.

There are many tricks of the trade that I will share with everyone. 

I am going to post a  guide on making Granite or marble looking nails today. 

Love and stay safe. 

Kali-Ann 💋 xx 

Kali-Ann Gills
11 hours ago, Jani said:

Thanks Kali-Ann!   There is more information here than I expected.  I like the idea to hold on to something like a box to keep the nails flat.

Cheers, Jani

Hi Jani,  

I am pleased that you found it useful.

I believe that it would be quite useful to the girls here if I could share what I know. I have just completeda post on creating nails that have the appearance of stone either granite or marble. A very simple process. 

Kali-Ann 💋 xx 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

• Jocelyn
    • Willa
    • SaraAW
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • Carolyn Marie
  • Who Was Online

95 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • Jocelyn
    • Willa
    • SaraAW
    • MaryEllen
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • Carolyn Marie
    • MicahKj
    • Cyndee
    • Janeshannon
    • Lightbrite
    • MaryMary
    • Kirsten
    • vannaaa
    • Gregory
    • Ned
    • DeeDee
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • Kelva
    • Michelle F
    • Jani
    • Sharon Aml
    • VickySGV
    • Rowan
    • EvanC
    • MomofSprinter
    • D.Grey
    • Elyssia
    • Ronin82
    • Naomi Knowles
    • KymmieL
    • KC1
    • Nina B
    • Ashlee
    • Sandra6sandy9sand
    • ToniTone
    • Anyatimenow
    • michelle_kitten
    • Hellothere
    • gaynoodle76
    • Josie Beth
    • Alisa
    • Petra Jane
    • K80Lately
    • EliAtkins
    • Dino
    • tracy_j
    • Charlize
    • Jen
    • Willow
    • QueenClara
    • Finley
    • JJ
    • LittleRed
    • BrandiBri
    • RithiaAllen
    • Timber Wolf
    • DrumbeatAlex
    • Janae
    • Lorry
    • Clara84
    • Beatrice Crawford
    • LouiseRose1954
    • Mickey
    • Elias2401
    • HeatherCristina
    • Jessica27
    • Alex C
    • Sakura
    • Susan
    • roman
    • Erika_E
    • Harrietta
    • Miss Julia
    • Fimdir
    • Jennifer T
    • L0gan
    • Makayla2019
    • SugarMagnolia
    • 1unar3clipse
    • stobart2019
    • Terry
    • TheGinger
    • EvaH2314
    • Sarahnr1
    • Robinl69
    • ChasingSerenity
    • Dororo
    • Gigi
    • jae bear
    • Beth
    • Dakota16
    • figuringitout
    • Kylie
    • Alex94
    • Camie
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Gregory
    Newest Member
    Gregory

1. Alyss
      Alyss
      (21 years old)
    • Cyndee
      Music is life, wholeheartedly agree, that's great you are finding new music Jani....   Tonight after dinner, I have a little Steely Dan - Aja (1977) going here....   C -
    • Kelva
      Welcome to the forum! I am newish so I can't say much on where to look first, but I can say everyone is super nice here!   
    • Kelva
      @michelle_kitten Thank you very much for the warm welcome and being so open about your history. I very much appreciate the thoughtful response. I am glad you are finding your way now, and hope to follow in your footsteps, where ever that leads me, too or away from gender related topics. Not sure where I land yet, but your story does feel somewhat familiar. 
    • Jani
      I just finished listening to "Live from Here".  Actually I also watched a piece of it while I was eating as they live stream the show.  I wasn't particularly enamored with the previous iteration "A Praire Home Companion" but I look forward to this show when I can listen.  The host, Chris Thile is an amazing performer and while his genre is Americana there is a wide variety of acts on his show.  I've been exposed to lots of music I never experienced before.  Music is life!  
    • Jani
      Michelle,  This is awesome.  Being able to write what your thoughts are is powerful.  That you did it here is wonderful in that we all get to read it and others may see this is the path for themselves too.   Speaking with others (even on-line) is cathartic.  Thanks for sharing.     Jani
    • Jani
      Hey Toni, sorry for the late reply as I'm sure you were hoping for some "words of wisdom" earlier.  I hope whatever you did worked out well.     It seems like your mother never grew into being a person that looked beyond their own world.   This is sad.  As to whether you love her or not, that is for you to decide but not all families are close so its all right to feel this way.  Love it seems is a two way street.  We give love and hope to get is back.  When we don't its OK to retreat. As you probably know, some people just don't know enough to quit, hoping against hope the other person will change.  As you've seen here, it doesn't always happen.  I'm not saying to cut your mother off but realize the relationship may always be one sided.     If you think telling her would just increase your grief, then don't.   Look out for your own sanity and well being.     Hugs, Jani 
    • Jani
      This is why it is recommended to wait and see what HRT will do before making plans!   I can read that you are happy.  That's what matters!
        Cheers, Jani
    • Jani
      Naomi as to rowing we bought kayaks a few years ago as a means of getting exercise and enjoying nature.  There are a couple of kayak Meet-up's in my area I may look into to get out more than I do.     As to Geocaching, like many activities you can proceed at you own pace.  You don't have to make it into a competition.  Get out when you can, where you can.  Life has a way of getting in the way of things we plan, especially hobbies and diversions.  That they're not critical and we do them at our leisure is important as we are supposed to enjoy these endeavors.  The thing I've learned as I aged is not to take it all too seriously.   Tomorrow is another day, and when its not, it will not matter! 😁   Have fun,  Jani 
    • Naomi Knowles
      @DeeDee I'm weirdly conscious about my own stammer on a personal level, enough for me to assume it's an annoyance even when I know better. Which is incidentally something I'm going to be bringing up with a counsellor, once they get around to me. Because I know it would be fun, and the obstacles between me and it are entirely of my own engineering. Rowing might be pretty good for me health-wise though: I was one of those 'weird people' who actually enjoyed the rowing machine at the gym when I used to go😜   Might start going again when I eventually get over changing room anxiety (and lose the beard permanently).       @Jani Can't say I've heard of geocaching, though looking more closely, there is probably a lot of overlap between travelling. If the geocache website is accurate, there are over 6000 caches in my area alone! Am a little turned off by the need to travel regularly to keep hitting that sweet spot of discovery (I'm fairly limited to where I can get to either by public transport or by my own 2 feet). Got rid of my bike a few months ago; thing made me strangely anxious (weird considering I rode bikes loads as a child). Funnily enough I did think about orienteering at work today, not sure if I'll pursue it or not at this stage. Could be an intriguing work-group activity (we're a small, intimate group). Most of us went up Snowden for my boss's birthday last year, so orienteering wouldn't be THAT big of a leap?     @tracy_j Is it a sort of friendly turn up & paint/craft with a small group of friends sort of situation? Learning to draw in a relaxed environment with the occasional nibbles doesn't sound so bad to be honest.     Apparently there is also quite a few different martial arts studios in my area too that I never noticed. Like the IDEA of something that works cardio, gives me a slightly-greater-than-0% chance to defend myself if caught in a dangerous position where I cannot simply leave quickly, as well as forms social bonds, but need to sit on it for a couple months to see if it's just my own mind running amok with unrealistic fantasies. HRT and months of relatively sedentary life (bar walking to work all the time) has taken a fair bit of strength from me, and at 5'3 (160cm) tall, I'd need maximum passion in order to keep up with my peers in that kind of environment.     What you're all doing is working by the way❤️ There is also professional counselling on the cards in order to properly uproot the cause/s of what ails me, but getting me intrigued in life again is part of the healing process, and to hold onto that flame once it gets going again.
    • KymmieL
      Today was great except for having no power for 10+ hours. Of course our area is not THE area so it was last. Other wise it was 73 light breeze. headed out on the bike a couple times. Fantastic being in the wind again.   Have a great rest of your day all.   Kymmie
    • Ashlee
      Im so excited for the future 
    • Carolyn Marie
      I agree with the above advice, Alex.  It does take time, especially with people who have known you all their lives, or have worked with you for a long time.  Most people are diligent about it, or correct themselves if they goof up.  Some folks struggle with the change.  I had one co-worker who just could not seem to get it right, and I know from his reaction that he was embarrassed as hell when he misgendered me, but could not stop himself.   I did not beat him up about it, as he was doing a pretty good job of beating himself up.  😀  I actually felt embarrassed for him, as he often did this in meetings with others.   If you sense that it isn't malicious, I would try to let it pass, or talk to them gently in private to explain the importance to you of getting the pronouns correct.  If you think the person IS being malicious or cruel, I would have a much more serious and pointed talk to them.    Almost everyone should be OK after a while.  For those who choose not to get with the program, you have options, including excluding them from your life if need be.   Carolyn Marie
    • DeeDee
      😀 Just want to say I love this post. Go Ashlee 💛
    • ToniTone
      So I'm here at my storage with my ma, helping her move some things I'm letting her store here. She went out for a while so here I am. We just got into a big argument, ugh! I don't want to be here now...    I was thinking of taking her for coffee later and coming out to her, but now I'm not so sure...    I for the longest her and I have been the only family there for each other, everyone else is just kinda estranged. But she only really cares for herself. She talks all the time, and never gives me space to just breath. She only cares about things she's interested in. She never listens to me or anyone. Her selfis, self-centeredness is such a put off. I don't think I really love my mother...    I don't even care how she's gonna feel anymore. I was looking forward to this, but  now I'm just crushed. This is about me. But she'll probably just make it about herself.    Whatever, I don't need this right now. I'm leaving... 
    • Ashlee
      Hi! I dont post as much as I used to but I'd like to post an update. Its rught around 8 months now on hrt and things are very very noticeably different. I fill out bras now and pants. Omg the pants! I've actually gone from losing weight to gaining it. I've gained 10+/- lbs in about 6 weeks. Its all in my thighs and booty. I am beyond how happy I am with the changes on hrt. Im getting curves, nig curves. I was going to get a Brazilian butt lift but npw I'm going to hold off and see where I am In a year. I never, ever and I mean never ever want to go back to boy mode or being a boy again. Ever. Hers is a picture of my thighs. I can finally wear a bikini! ❤️❤️❤️
  • Upcoming Events