• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kali-Ann Gills

manual V electric files.

Kali-Ann Gills

Hi everyone,  

In this post I am going to discuss the pros and cons of manual and electric files. This has been a hotly debated issue in the nail industry for many years.

I was taught the old way manual files are a lot more controlled in the way the free edge is removed. Also less likely to create micro shattering. 

Electric files are fast and efficient at removing UV gel extentions and acrylic extentions however,  unless you are very careful it is very easy to actually cut through the nail plate. This will leave the nail open to infection and in extreme cases result in the nail being completely removed. Any regrowth of the nail will never be the same especially if the nail bed under the nail plate is significantly damaged. The attached picture 3 shows the anatomy of the nail.

A set of Edge files will be around  £10 and correctly maintained should last a long time possibly six months or more the attached picture shows a typical set.

The electric file costs £29 and comes with a selection of burs and sanding drums and will last for a good few years. 

One of the main reasons that I believe electric files should only be used in a nail salon is because of the amount of dust created. Whilst nail dust itself is not particularly harmful. UV gel dust and in particular acrylic dust is, especially if you have a respiratory problem such as Asthma. A professional manicure table has a built in extractor fan to remove the dust particles from the air. Ladies there is a reason why a nail technician in a salon using electric files wears a mask.

It is of course a personal choice.

Manual files are less expensive and allow more controlled filing. Also they are easily carried in a handbag / purse. They are less prone to micro shattering and create far less harmful dust.

Electric files are more expensive however will Last for a longer period. Fast and efficient at removing UV gel extentions and acrylic extentions. You cannot carry one with you. Are difficult to control; create significantly more dust and are prone to creating micro shattering.

Note when micro shattering occurs in the free edge the top layer of the nail is weakened and is likely to start peeling back.

I hope that you find this useful.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Kali-Ann 💋 xx 

edge-nails-pro-file-pack-files-buffers-6-piece-pack-2006610-p22559-91533_medium.jpg

s-l400.jpg

main-qimg-5eb37d37b851983932b9163f11e4a9b4.png

Jani

I tend to use a 4-way buffing pad although I do have a battery powered electric my wife bought me.  Its got a nail shaped pad that you use to smooth out the surface.  I've only used it a few times as I was afraid of cutting too much of the Nail Plate.   I do have nails that crack and splinter due to a medication I take.  Once the dosage is lowered I should be all right again.  I am constantly addressing burrs and uneven edges.  I've been taking Biotin as a supplement and it seems to help a little.  

Jani

Kali-Ann Gills
Just now, Jani said:

I tend to use a 4-way buffing pad although I do have a battery powered electric my wife bought me.  Its got a nail shaped pad that you use to smooth out the surface.  I've only used it a few times as I was afraid of cutting too much of the Nail Plate.   I do have nails that crack and splinter due to a medication I take.  Once the dosage is lowered I should be all right again.  I am constantly addressing burrs and uneven edges.  I've been taking Biotin as a supplement and it seems to help a little.  

Jani

Jani if it is basically a sanding pad then it shouldn't take too much off the nail plate it is the burs. Finger nails take six months to grow from the cuticle to the free edge so it will take six months after the dosage is decreased for it to be reflected in your nails free edge.

In the meantime I would recommend using cuticle oil every morning and evening. Although it is principally to nourish the cuticle it also nourishes the nail plate.

Also use a good quality base coat.

Anything else that I can help with please don't hesitate to ask.

Kali-Ann 💋 xx 

Jani

Thanks.  I noticed it took quite a long time to regain my healthy nails the last time I was on this med.  I will pick up some cuticle oil.  😎

Jani

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 123 Guests (See full list)

• The Viv Element
    • MaryEllen
    • Suzanne1
    • Katharina
    • Ethan da potato
    • mxophie
    • Charlize
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Austin_03
    Newest Member
    Austin_03

1. Robbie Bargar
      Robbie Bargar
    • Ethan da potato
      Today we were outside with my mom. (she doesn't know I am trans but knows I "want" to be a boy, don't ask XD) We crossed a hitch hiking person (if that's the word) so when we passed them I said something like "bye ma'am, or bye sir (?)" and than I said this question out-loud "do we have a word like sir or ma'am for non-binary people?" And my mom answered me XD she said (don't forget I am french so everything sounds different) :  -Yeah there is, it's called transgenre. XD the thing is that I always do my researches and all in english so I heard "transgenre" and was like "oh really, that sounds like << Hello transgenre>> instead of << Hello sir>> that's weird" and then I translated in my head XD I was like "Oh transgenre =  transgender" and it was so funny so I explained it to her. She actually mixed transsexual, transgender, and intersex XD. It was so cute how she acted like she knew, so proud ^^.   And weirdly in the same day we were talking about the men looking at my mom because she looks 220/25even thou she is 46. And I said that sometime boys look at her and I look at them like I was going to rip their head off like a protector. And that they might think I am her partner. And she said "even thou you're my son haha" This shocked me. Did she do on purpose, did she did it because I said protector in masculine (there is a masculine and feminine word for it)? I don't know that made me cry some tears. ^w^ Today was a great day, this is the some kind you stay alive for. ^^
    • Mx.Drago
      Reflecting Wreakage   A wreakage but a catastrophe, To both lost and will never be found, To be tossed away for slight, Never to be wanted, Never to be cared. As it like sand cast in the wind, Fades into the empty void before us. Good riddance one might say, If not for the wind  Throwing the sand back In the face as currents turn. A wreakage maybe a catastrophe But forgetting it is the sin.        
    • michelle_kitten
      A lot of us totally experience rises and falls in the intensity of our dysphoria.  For a lot of us, we could get it to go away for awhile, but it would come back even stronger the next time.  Other ppl totally have different experiences.  There may be people out there we never hear from, because they can totally manage their dysphoria, and that is what they choose to do.   The key is to take your time and work things through.  No one else can tell you if your trans or not, or what to do about it if you are.  That is something that's going to take some serious introspection.  I totally recommend reading and watching videos from experts.  Ask lots of questions of ppl who have transitioned.  Make your own choice.   Even if you decide to transition, it isn't a destination.  Transition is a journey, and it really doesn't ever end.  You always change and grow.  It isn't like you decide you're trans and the dysphoria vanishes.  It takes time.  There may be a lot of things you need to do to make your dysphoria go away, and it may never totally go away.   You have taken the biggest step.  You've admitted to yourself you're dysphoric.  That's a huge step.  It's okay to be here for awhile.  You might consider just identifying as a dysphoric person for awhile, while you figure things out.  That's okay.  Idk if you have talked to your parents about your dysphoria yet, but that might be a first step, rather than making a decision and then dropping it on them.  Just say, "Hey, i got this thing and there isn't anything i can do to make it go away."  Maybe let them know that a lot of ppl have tried to get over dysphoria and it never goes away.  It is in the manual psychologists use to diagnose ppl as a real thing.  Once they know it is a real thing, maybe they will support seeing a gender therapist?   Like i said, you totally have to make your own decision.  People can help you by giving you a safe place to learn, and helping you learn, but in the end you have to decide.
    • Dana Michelle
      I used to play a computer game called nethack, which uses text to draw a map and monsters are represented with letters. It displays text messages at the top of the screen to explain what is happening in the game. A screenshot of the game is at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetHack#/media/File:Nethack_releasing_a_djinni.png to see what I'm talking about. The player's character is represented by a @ symbol. The player selects a gender at the beginning of the game and it always felt good to select female, even though I don't actually see a female character (the player is a @ whether male or female) and it has little effect in the game. Sometimes the character is referred to with pronouns in the text messages. There is an amulet in the game that causes the player's gender to change. I am always disappointed when that happened and it felt uncomfortable to continue so I ended the game and started over. It's not strange at all to me to feel better about playing a female character in a game. It felt better to me even in a game where gender is not noticed much.  
    • Charlize
      MikaReich i would suggest that you look into Nar-Anon which is a support group for the family of drug users other than alcoholics. They can be found at:  nar-anon.org  While we cannot get another sober we can help ourselves and others to get through the wreckage an addict leaves behind.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Mx.Drago
      Mind I ask why she used to begin with? I understand if it's too personal and I don't expect an answer, so no worries. I'm more glad your daughters are safe, but I still feel terrible for the circumstances, it's unfortunate. Hope your brightness keeps them more than well nurtured and safe.
    • MikaReich
      No,her family is on my side with this.Her family can't stand her drug use too.They know I am a great father leading a positive example to my two daughters
    • Mx.Drago
      I think it's safe to say, it's been crazy for everybody for past couple of months. At least you're not alone in the feeling.😶 😕
    • KayC
      Good morning, Tessa!  have a great visit with your Mom❣️
    • Mx.Drago
      Live, love, laugh as much as you can and for as long as you can, for life is but moments we meet and make for yourself and to all a goodnight after on. If only forever could happiness last, but guess I'll have to settle with next best, if only at least minimum. Just walking around packing, as warm, detached, and uncomfortable as it can get, puts me on the moon with feeling of both joy and terror. Would like to be rid of the terror part, cuz fear is the mind killer, and nature always will take the rest of whatever society leaves behind. So I try to enjoy what time I have no matter how hard it seems.
    • Tessa
      -Accidentally hit enter-    I’m strong and beautiful and I won’t let anyone have control of my heart or body. The rain matches how I feel. 😓. My mom invited me over at noon. I’m happy about that but I can’t be-fully Tessa over there. I will just have to try to make it through this day.    Posted some chapters in my book. It’s a great story! I have submitted it into a contest to see if I can win 1,000.00 dollars! I once won a Big Wheel and third place in a poetry contest!    Be safe. Have a wonderful day loves !    Tessa
    • Tessa
      Hey beautiful people,   Today it’s suppose to rain all day. Only suppose to get up to 66. I’m a little sad today I don’t get to see my kids. Easter my ex took the kids to her boyfriends house and they had plans for Easter. My kids wanted to spend time with there dog that just had puppies. They were keeping the dog at his house. I gave up my holiday to her but did not make the arrangement that we would switch. I kinda thought it was just assumed. Well, It wasn’t. I told her in a nice civil text I would like kids today. She text back in an uncivil text that I gave up my holiday and I wasn’t going to take hers. Also my son wanted some food from Sonic. He told me mom said ok. He lied and she screamed at me for that. When we were married she would get mad at me if I took the kids to McDonald’s or got them junk food. Now 6 years later she still is trying to control me. I hate this! I talked with a help line through my work and she said no one controls you. It’s you that give them the control. Yes, I believe that but when a person owns the car they can take it away. She has full physical custody. My control is not getting angry with her and starting a fight. We fought in our marriage over things just like this. I refuse to engage in a fight with her because it always ends in court. I will miss my children this Holiday but now I know never to assume ever again. My ex doesn’t have a heart or care about me this is obvious and so sad😞. It’s not that I want her to love me but I want her to respect my position. She doesn’t even respect me enough to call me Dad to them. She doesn’t know about Tessa but she does know about my female side and she also tells the children that I’m wrong and crazy for feeling that way and if I ever dress like a woman they are to call the police or her. I will stand strong and not let her get the best of me. I won’t beg and plead like she wants me to do. I did this in our marriage when she withheld sex from me just to be mean. I am not a dog and I won’t be treated like one. I’m s
    • Gender Phoenix
      I'll try smaller spaced out portions. Thank you for responding.   I had fainted twice from not getting enough calories for my high metabolism.   Its had been 2 or 3 days of that when I posted the opening. I've eaten small amounts since, not enough..   I'll try to do better. The situation involving my friends got drastically worse before it got before it got any better, but I think where fine now for the most part.  My friends are like family, like a foundation.  I've not built up my own self esteem or willpower high enough yet and I know I need to because their friends not therapists, I can lean on them but I can't rely on them for my own happiness.
    • Mx.Drago
      🤭Oh the humor.
    • Mx.Drago
      I finally had my coffee and morning meditation. Another sleepless night. But wanted to congratulate @Shawna as well in the last post but forgot to. Got really sad for a bit, but we always look to a better tomorrow, asap.
  • Upcoming Events