• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coworker Education

Kylie

Hey Girls!

So I need some help with educating my coworkers. I work for a HUGE hospital, and I have already disclosed to the entire night shift team of Nurses I work along side and some of the day shift. I work in a Medical ICU, highest-acuity in state and very stressful environment. Management is beyond excited about my transition and actually was awarded a 100% by the HRC for Diversity and Inclusivity ( as that is part of our motto). They have wonderful insurance that is Trans Inclusive. 

My question is, my Nurse Manager would like me to develop education about my transition from Male to Female as to educate my coworkers about what I have/am current'y going through.

Do any of you have some topics of discussion you could recommend? I thought about a powerpoint or handouts. I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions!

Thank you in advance ladies,

Kylie

• Admin
1 minute ago, NewLife336 said:

Do any of you have some topics of discussion you could recommend? I thought about a powerpoint or handouts. I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions!

Kylie

Well, that happens to be right up my alley, Kylie.  I did such training professionally for a couple of years.  I've got some material, including a PP presentation I can send you.  I'll contact you shortly via PM.

Carolyn Marie

I think it's great that they're interested in education on this issue and supportive of your transition. Typically employers are the ones that are responsible for providing education, but in this case it sounds like its a local team "tell us what you're going through" sort of thing. I think that's really interesting because it's not driven by limiting liability from potential harassment claims, but by a seemingly genuine desire to educate. ?

There are a million different Trans 101 and similar sorts of documents on the web. I guess I'd start by asking you what YOU want your co-workers to learn? If it was me I'd probably put together a presentation with three main topics: basic terms, "Dos and Don'ts" or "Tips", and typical Q & A topics that cover question most people are likely to have. 

It looks like Carolyn Marie has replied with an actual offer of presentation materials while I've been writing this, so hopefully that will give you a good starting point.

Congrats,
Julie

@Carolyn Marie: could you also pm me those materials? That would be extremely helpful for me as well.

• Admin

I have given training to first year medical students, and I have done some one on one training with a nursing team that takes care of a special problem that I have, some pre-schools and a foster care facility.  I knew @Carolyn Marie was going to stick her nickle into this when she saw it, she just beat me to the ENTER key. 

I have my own power point that I would be happy share as well.

Just now, VickySGV said:

I have my own power point that I would be happy share as well.

Vicky, would you mind sending that to me as well or posting it somewhere?

Thanks!

• Admin

Its a little big to post here, but I could E-mail it.  PM me!

• Admin
Just now, SugarMagnolia said:

@Carolyn Marie: could you also pm me those materials? That would be extremely helpful for me as well.

Sure, Julie.  Give me a couple hours, please.  I've got to run off to get my head eyes examined.   :lol:

Carolyn Marie

Oh my goodness! Thank you all! If you want to PM me and Ill send you my email address. My company actually has a 'Chief Diversity and Inclusivity Officer' that will be working with me as well once she travels down to my hospital.

I appreciate any and all information and suggestions.

Well wishes,

Kylie

It's totally up to you Kylie but my free advise to you is to consider the 10-10-10 rule.  I know you're excited to share your story NOW but think about how you'll feel 10 minutes after you give your presentation, 10 months afterwards and finally 10 years from now.  I for one, don't want to be the "transgender person" for the rest of my life.  I want to do my advocacy work strategically and behind the scenes so I can simply be "myself" everywhere else in my life.  Once everyone knows you're trans, you'll ALWAYS be trans.  Lastly, the burden of being the trans educator all the time, gets exhausting for some.  Do you really want to be the go-to person for anyone wanting to know anything about you or about being transgender...10 minutes from now?  10 months from now?  10 years from now?  It's your call but carefully consider the repercussions.

@DenimAndLace I do not plan to educate about myself exclusively. But as far as education about this for the rest of my life, I am completely open to that. I am an educator by nature, hold a Masters in Education, so being the 'go-to- person is who I am on topics I know.

But I do understand your concern, thanks!

Kylie