• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Wonder abou cost and regrowth.

Ashlee

Hi! I was just wanting to see if anyone has had regrowth after laser hair removal. I know it takes several months and treatments to get the desired results. Is it really permanent or temporary? Also Im sure there are different costs for different people bit im trying to get a ball pack idea. I've been saving up for ffs (wich seens to be more  expensive than srs for some reason) and I'm so ready to get rid of this shadow. I don't wear a lot of makeup and that facial hair has got to go. 

• Forum Moderator

Hi Ashlee.  This is hard to know.  The FDA says Laser is "permanent reduction" so some hairs will be gone forever but others may regrow with time.  The costs seem to vary by location.  You'd be best shopping around to see who has prices you can afford.   You might go with laser then follow up with electrolysis on the stubborn hairs. 

FFS is expensive due to the skill involved.  In my opinion, it is much detail oriented surgery due to bone, soft tissue, muscles and nerves in the treated area.

Jani

Thanks! I'm setting up a consultation as we speak actually :) I livein south Florida and that is why I don't wear a lot of makeup. It just melts away. My upper lip is always dark and gotta go. I looked into electrolytes. Holy smokes it's a lot more. I still have to have some electrolysis because I do have some grey. 

Thanks again 

Ashlee :)

My laser tech told me she thought that 12-15 sessions should take care of my face. She gives me a groupon price. It’s 415 dollars for 6 sessions. So it should be under 1500 for the laser part. After that I expect to need some electrolosys as well. Not much though I still have no gray or white hair. So I’m hoping to come in with a total cost around 2500. And be done by the 2 year mark. But that’s all just guesses from me. 

Another option for the ffs is to break it down into smaller surgeries. It can encompass like 5-6 different smaller surgeries. Maybe do one portion at first and some more at a later date as well. It does seem a lot easier to do it all at once though. 

Thank you! Ok, that doesn't seem too bad at all. I do have a few grey hairs so I definitely end up with a little electrolysis but not too much. I've never been real hairy but my top lip is really, just always dark. I hate it. 

I never thought of breaking ffs into different parts.that seem like it would be within a reasonable price that way My main thing is the hairline. I just wish it was a little bit lower. Thanks again 

:)

Hey there. I am going with electrolisys all the way!! That way i know there is no chance of regrowth. I don't ever want to see hair on my face again.lol I might have to have a little ffs for my eyes but i want to stay as natural as possible. Anyways. that is just my 2 cents worth.lol Susan

• Forum Moderator

Me too Susan.  Plus I had a fair amount of white hairs anyway.  

The concern with breaking FFS procedures out to be done individually is the added cost and the extended time before you see the complete change.  While the doctor's cost is what it is, you will be adding to OR, anesthesia and recovery room time and expense.  Adding an extra hour for an additional procedure (incremental cost) is less than going in for that procedure alone.   You might consider just two surgeries to cover compatible items on your list.   The total cost would be higher but each group would be less allowing you time to save for the next.   

My trachea shave was a 45 minute procedure and I was in recovery for a day.  I originally planned on mandible contouring but had second thoughts (chickened out actually).  Doing it now will be more expensive than adding to the first procedure.  The doctors would have already been in the OR and recovery (for this procedure) would have been similar.  

Good luck on your consultation Ashlee!  I hope it goes well. 

Jani

Hey jani, I found out today that I can get my eye lids done in a doctors office. I guess it is an easy thing to do. i don't know about the rest for now but my eyes are the most important thing right now. Susan

• Forum Moderator

Good news!  I understand many eye surgeons will do office procedures.  My wife has had two done that were successful (for other than TG reasons!)

Cheers, Jani

very cool!!!!!! and i don't think it is really expensive. my insurance might cover it cause i have a growth on one of my eyelids that need to be removed. it does sometimes cause my vision to go hay wire and i drive truck for a living.

I have a lot of experience with laser hair removal.  I have done legs, arms, abs, full brazilian, and underarms.  Underarms are the easiest.  I have had no hair under my arms for years - completely bare.  Brazilian not easy - still some hair there after dozens of treatments - maybe 99% gone but some hair still grows (but it will always look bald down there except for a few stray hairs that can easily be shaved off - not ever getting that bush back lol).  Legs respond well except for knees - most of my leg hair is gone.  I think the face would be like pubic hair - not easy to get rid of all of it.  If they use a high setting the laser will likely leave red marks on your face that may take a couple weeks to fade away.  If they use a low setting (to avoid red marks) then maybe not effective.  I recommend laser but be prepared for years of it if you want to be hair free on your face. 

• Forum Moderator

I agree ckd.  No matter what method you select it is not a short process.  You have to be committed to get to the end result.  

• Forum Moderator

I’ve done a fair amount of research on this topic myself, and the more I read the more I am unsure about the laser process. And the techniques vary so much with Electrolysis you really have to break them down into three different techniques. With electrolysis there is the original method of straight galvanic Electrolysis which is extremely effective but a bit slower in process, however it still achieves the same goal in the same amount of time because it is more effective at killing the follicles if done correctly.  The more common method especially on the East Coast is thermolysis, which  I personally do not believe should be used on facial hair, it uses radio frequency energy to heat the hair follicle and requires many multiple treatments to have successful follicle kill off. The downside of this is the heat generated tends to cook the collagen in your face and has the undesirable effect of making you look older once the process is finished, and a couple years of this process are typically required. The last thing you want is to look older at the end of Electrolysis, so I am avoiding this method even though I have experienced a few months of it already. I now go to a straight galvanic technician and I’m getting fantastic results, I don’t even use the numbing cream at this point since she is so good at what she does. The results for me between the two are dramatic, I had full regrowth with the thermolysis method and some issues with collagen burn, but the straight galvanic process is incredibly effective  and much more manageable for me personally even if it is quite expensive at $80 per hour. The most common method used currently is galvanic blend,  however my experience is now telling me that most operators do not use the galvanic setting But rely heavily on the radio frequency energy of the blend setting and primarily provide thermolysis to their patients, and I would never recommend this after having undergone it myself.  The thing that worries me about laser most is that as I understand it it is mostly effective on extremely dark facial hair that is close to the surface,  which is not very common. Many patients who undergo laser can end up with a permanent shadow under their skin due to the base follicle remaining even though it’s dead.  However it can be removed with straight galvanic process  by opening up the follicle poor with  The galvanic probe and allowing the dark dead hair follicle to work its way to the surface but it’s basically like starting over, so I’m just going with the galvanic process personally. The favorite part of my research on straight galvanic was that it typically results in patient appearing younger after completion,  I will take some of that all day long !

I am sharing a picture  showing the cleared side of my face up to the edge of my mouth, it’s been a couple days growth, and it’s typically what I end up having going to Electrolysis which happens to be tomorrow afternoon. The cleared the side of my face has only had one pass of straight galvanic, but it has been extremely effective where the thermolysis method had been done on that side of my face three or four times with no good results. I am extremely excited for the complete full first pass of my face from one side to the other, as I understand it this takes about 100 hours, but depends on the person and the density of facial hair, mine is quite dense so it might take a bit more time.

Hugs, 

Jackie 

5303F794-D139-4BC2-9DAF-4AF1653483E8.jpeg

Thank you! Ok, that doesn't seem too bad at all. I do have a few grey hairs so I definitely end up with a little electrolysis but not too much. I've never been real hairy but my top lip is really, just always dark. I hate it. 

I never thought of breaking ffs into different parts.that seem like it would be within a reasonable price that way My main thing is the hairline. I just wish it was a little bit lower. Thanks again 

:)

Thanks ladies. My consultation got put off till Saturday, wich is good because it gives me time to do some research. In any case this upper lip shadow has got to go. My facial hair is not thick and is patchy thank goodness. It also takes forever for mr to try to grow a beard so hopefully it will be not so bad to remove. I the hair so bad. Its all I see when I look at pictures or in the mirror lately. 

• 5 months later...

Oh wow. Wish I would have read this thread before the one I just replied to. You all just answered the question I asked there. Thanks.

ReubyLouise

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, Susan said:

Hey there. I am going with electrolisys all the way!! That way i know there is no chance of regrowth. I don't ever want to see hair on my face again.lol I might have to have a little ffs for my eyes but i want to stay as natural as possible. Anyways. that is just my 2 cents worth.lol Susan

This is exactly what I am doing.  Straight Galvanic Electrolysis. I am showing great results. I have no dark hairs on my face so laser doesn't work.