• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How to get HRT in san antonio tx

Anslee_24

Hello Ladies, i just was wondering if any of guys who lived in the san antonio area knew about how to get put on HRT relativly quickly. My therapist is telling me i have to wait a year in the gender i wanna be or some crap? So im kinda lost as to what to do.

• Forum Moderator

Hello Anslee.  Welcome!  

Your therapist is being a bit strict.  I would find an endocrinologist who does "informed consent" as Rachael noted.  I don't know of any other members in the San Antonio area but maybe someone will chime in with a comment.  

Why don't you post an Intro?  We'd love to meet you. 

Jani

• Admin

I agree with the others about finding a good, and experienced, endo.  I would also question your therapist about why they are deviating from the WPATH Standards of Care, which does not have a strict one-year guideline for administration of HRT.  Therapy can be important, but gate keeping for the sake of gate keeping is not necessary.

Carolyn Marie

• 2 weeks later...

Yes i agree, i mean when i have known i am trans my whole life i don’t think i need to say oh you need to wait a little more haha.

A year full time with no hrt? Good lord is your therapist trying get you to give up? For me it was months of therapy, and I didn’t go full time until after a few months of hrt. I think you need to find another therapist.

• Admin

I agree that your therapist is more than a bit behind the times.  In the dark ages of Trans history, there had been a one year Real Life Trial, but that has changed.  The RLT can be done without the hormones and was by many but the practice is outdated and as Carolyn said, it is "gate keeping" which is also professionally frowned upon by other therapists and MD's who treat Trans people.  HRT today is actually beginning to be used as a diagnostic tool in finding out what the stress relief needs of the person are since there are those who do not benefit from it and can be taken off without harm.

Yeah at this point i just need HRT for me to mentally complete myself and feel the way i should and i feel stuck in tis trap of i have mo idea what to do at all to move forward.0

I came from a very southern conservative family and all this is very new to me, because i never could be myself until now.

I found a trans-friendly endocrinologist in Houston if you can't find one in SA, but I hope you don't have to come all the way out here for that. I know the Planned Parenthood in Austin offers hormone treatments and trans care, but I don't know what in SA.