• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Walking like a woman (MTF)

JMG

I don't know if this is the right thread or forum to ask, but I want to train on walking like a woman and that in secret, I live in such a place I cannot just go out and "behave strangely". I don't believe I would have to wear high heels to learn walking like a woman, someone said so, but I hope it is not that way. Are there any proper ways to learn this? Perhaps through a Youtube channel?

As a fellow Swede I would recommend Jardel de Sousa. He doesn't have a Youtube Channel, but OH MY GOD he knows how to walk in heels. :)

Just now, Miss Linnea said:

As a fellow Swede I would recommend Jardel de Sousa. He doesn't have a Youtube Channel, but OH MY GOD he knows how to walk in heels. :)

And of course you can find some clips with him on Youtube.

Just now, Miss Linnea said:

Oh pardon me, I was peading your post too fast. 

I found this video:

Good to see that no heels were used. I then can be quite sure what I was told before on that other site was not true. I am looking to be a natural woman, as I am not into stuff that drag queens generally use. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum Moderator

I have always been interested in etiquette, and it's reference to being a lady. I am a bit old fashioned that way. I was amused at the technique for young ladies at finishing school of walking around the room balancing a book on their heads as training. It may not relate directly to the ordinary woman, but I can see that it's still valid as is does help against the 'head down furtive walk' that many men (and even some women) show.

Tracy

• 7 months later...
On 10/28/2018 at 9:39 AM, JMG said:

I don't know if this is the right thread or forum to ask, but I want to train on walking like a woman and that in secret, I live in such a place I cannot just go out and "behave strangely". I don't believe I would have to wear high heels to learn walking like a woman, someone said so, but I hope it is not that way. Are there any proper ways to learn this? Perhaps through a Youtube channel?

Since I can remember way back in grade school, I had to force myself to walk like a (Boy/man). All through Middle school, High school, college, up to several years ago, I always felt awkward walking like a man. I felt clumsy walking for nearly 50yrs. Now, especially now, I just let myself walk the way my body feels like walking. And it feels wonderful. I dont walk like im in an etiquette school, or sashaying down the runway, but my hips do move, i take smaller faster steps, and my body does flow in a feminine. How do I know, cause it feels right. 

Walk around your house while wearing women's clothing, and let yourself just feel womany. Do what feels natural to you. I havent tried on hears, and i do not think I will. I have big feet, plus I love flip flops and sandals. SoCal Girl here ?

I hope you find what feels best for you!

• Forum Moderator

Me to Ellora.  Audrey try to focus on your posture (keep a straight back) and take shorter steps than you're probably used to.  Its been said women slide across the floor so try to be fluid in your gait.   As Ellora says, practice at home.  If you laugh, all the much more fun you'll have.

Jani 

For years I have had guys tell me I walk like a woman.  I guess I don’t know what the difference is, since I apparently already walk like I am supposed too!

Janae

On 6/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, Audrey Rene said:

This topic is difficult for me. As much as I think I’m posturing, walking, even gesturing with my hands like a woman would, whenever I look at myself in the mirror I laugh out loud. I don’t need finishing school, I need starting school, really. Thanks for posting this JMG, great topic.

Audrey

Walk how you feel, and try not to critic every move. Until the outside feels like the inside, it can be awkward at times.

I catch myself walking the way I feel inside, when I don’t think about it, and just let me be me. 

Let yourself be yourself, and Enjoy it! 

• Forum Moderator

I have noticed that some women " turn on a walk" if they know they are being watched. This is especially true in films as the woman exits the room, swaying enticingly.  I find myself doing the same at this point.  Normally i just walk as i always have but now with old hips that sway much less than they once did.

Hugs,

Charlize 

Just now, Charlize said:

I have noticed that some women " turn on a walk" if they know they are being watched. This is especially true in films as the woman exits the room, swaying enticingly.  I find myself doing the same at this point.  Normally i just walk as i always have but now with old hips that sway much less than they once did.

Hugs,

Charlize 

People do tend to walk differently when watched. I know I used to do it, but in the opposite way, I had to "turn off the walk," before I decided to let myself walk the way I wanted to walk. My friend has always had an hour glass figure, she used to figure skate and do ballet, but she never really had a " feminine walk." She has always been a tomboy of sorts. Now that I come to think of it, most of my lady friends, and those around, dont really "sashay" or do the runway walk. 

@JMGand @Audrey Rene, as I mentioned before, be yourself, and the rest should follow. Feel your femininity flow, and just let go, it will look more real. I know it works for me when I dont try to overthink it. 

• Forum Moderator

Funny you mentioned that Ellora.

1 hour ago, Ellora said:

. I know I used to do it, but in the opposite way, I had to "turn off the walk," before I decided to let myself walk the way I wanted to walk.

I would sometimes hear my wife ask me to "control" my walk on occasion.  It just had turned on without any thought.

Hugs,

Charlize

Just now, Charlize said:

Funny you mentioned that Ellora.

I would sometimes hear my wife ask me to "control" my walk on occasion.  It just had turned on without any thought.

Hugs,

Charlize

heehee, I love that! Thats so cute!

Ever since I was a kid, i had to turn off the lady walk. I have caught myself turning on the man walk, and after rolling my eyes, i think f em, it's not my problem. 

I smile now when I notice my lady walk, and it would be really nice to have the hips to match my walk. It's not a runway walk, but there is one there ?

=Hugs=

Where I live this is so much less of a "thing", farming community where wellies or hiking boots are the norm and since I started paying attention it is rare to see someone sashaying down the street like they do in the films. (Some of the younger lassies do, but very few of the mum's or commuting to work types do.) That said I do take smaller steps and almost imagine walking on a small beam - jmg practice walking on a curb and roll from the heel forwards. Far more noticeable here is the slight outward swing of the arms from below the elbow - especially if carrying a handbag no military arm swinging or hands in pockets. Just observe and even mimic when walking down the street - if you are not obvious no one will notice. ?

• Forum Moderator

It can be pretty much the same here DeeDee, at least among the older community. It is not unusual at all to see women almost racing about, head down and not noticing anything around them, pretty much like men.

When I was little I had major problems with walking. Not so much in the action but was very very self concious and thought everyone was looking at me. These days I am better but not totally cured. I often tend to rush around, and keep inwardly telling myself 'shorten your stride and be more elegant'. It is easy to overdo the model walk, I think, but I still use it occasionally.

Tracy

I don't know if this will help, but I've discovered two things regarding the difference in the way men and women walk.  First, women use much less muscle tension to keep themselves together.  There is something more relaxed in the way they walk.  This is why many trans-women are easily clocked early on.  They tend to look too stiff and therefore awkward.  While back is straight, and shorter steps are taken, there is also much less tension in the legs and hips.  Second, women tend to have less vertical traverse while walking, hence the 'glide.'  I think this comes from walking more from the hips than from the torso as a whole.  I am progressing with my walk and have almost completely lost my male bob when I am attentive.

There are a ton of resources about the differences in walking gaits.  This article is pretty brief:

https://www.sportsrec.com/differences-walking-men-women-8240313.html

If you really want to get into it, this research paper from the US Air Force is pretty interesting:

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a597428.pdf

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 10:09 PM, Ellora said:

plus I love flip flops and sandals. SoCal Girl here

I just realized you're from my hometown and that gives me hope about moving back after I've found myself. I miss the beach and my God I couldnt find a good taco shop to save my life out of state.

44 minutes ago, Rachel34 said:

I just realized you're from my hometown and that gives me hope about moving back after I've found myself. I miss the beach and my God I couldnt find a good taco shop to save my life out of state.

Taco shops, taco trucks, and the beaches Oh Myyyy! Hillcrest, North Park, and other friendly places make San Diego a great place to live for sure. I wish you the best of luck in your Journey!