• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nicolas

Top surgery

Nicolas

Im making this thread to ask others who may have experience with getting top surgery, what was the process like to get surgery?

I'm unsure how I can cut the cost as I am not exactly rich, and wonder if you need some kind of confirmation from your therapist to be eligeble for a discount surgery ?

I also wonder what people's general experience has been with and the aftermath of the surgery, pros and cons?

ChickenLittle

I have no idea what healthcare is like where you live, but my top surgery experience in America was overall really positive. 

Pros: I'm happy with the way my chest looks, my insurance covered a majority of the cost, no more binding, no post-surgery depression!

Cons: Recovery after surgery took a long time and I had a healing complication that was scary, I was very scared about how my chest would look after surgery, fear of post surgery depression-- most of my cons were anxiety-related 

For me, the process went like this: 

Contact surgeon(s) for consultation, meet with them and ask questions

Decide on a surgeon

Ask therapist to write letter (my surgeon didn't require it but my insurance did)

Wait for surgeon's office to get insurance approval

Schedule surgery

Wait for what feels like forever

Surgery

Recovery!

If you have any specific questions let me know!

Nicolas
12 hours ago, ChickenLittle said:

I have no idea what healthcare is like where you live, but my top surgery experience in America was overall really positive. 

Pros: I'm happy with the way my chest looks, my insurance covered a majority of the cost, no more binding, no post-surgery depression!

Cons: Recovery [...]

Thank you so much for your reply, and for sharing your experience!

I am unsure how it works in Norway as I don't know many who have gotten top surgery amongst my friends, therefore I'm scared I'll have to save up my own money to get it, but I'm really not sure.

While I am a little worried of how I'll feel after surgery, I know with myself it's something I need to be comfortable with myself, so I am willing to go through with it. I'm seeing a sexologist next month to help me sort out my gender identity, so maybe she can help me get in touch with a surgeon?

ChickenLittle

Hopefully she can point you in the right direction. How you you think you might feel after surgery?

Nicolas
2 hours ago, ChickenLittle said:

Hopefully she can point you in the right direction. How you you think you might feel after surgery?

I know with myself I'll feel a lot better, as I'll finally be rid of something I've been trying my best to forget I have for so many years..

ChickenLittle

I know that feeling. I hope you find out some helpful information soon!

GothicLucas

I know of a very active group on facebook for nonbinary people who want top surgery. Are you on facebook? Would you like the link? I could PM it to you, with your permission.

Nicolas
On 11/15/2018 at 6:00 PM, GothicLucas said:

I know of a very active group on facebook for nonbinary people who want top surgery. Are you on facebook? Would you like the link? I could PM it to you, with your permission.

Feel free to, thank you! :)

Nicolas

A little update on this topic. 

I have talked to my sexology therapist about this matter, and we have concluded that I need to get my top surgery privately. This is because the process of getting top surgery for gender identity reasons is incredibly long, and is mainly constructed for those who transition from one binary to another. 

As I do not want to fully transition to a male, and only want to get my top surgery done, this is the best option for me. It is going to cost me a good chunk of money (about £4000), but I have started saving! 

GothicLucas

I must not have checked vigilantly enough, because for a few days after I peeked in my messages for a PM or something, and then forgot...😳 But I will send you that link now. It may still prove helpful! Good luck saving up!