• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stephi

Too old to transition?

Stephi

Good morning. My name is Stephani and just recently joined TransPulse Forums. I introduced myself in the newcomers section so I won't repeat myself, but I do have a very serious question to put out there. I'm sure it's been answered before: When is it (realistically ) too late to transition?

I have struggled with gender dysphoria since the age of 4. Over the years I have endured ridicule, scorn, and rejection. I have been beaten an abused several times earlier in life when I asserted my feminine persona. Eventually I would emotionally suppress my intense desire to transition. Finally, in my early 50's, I resolved to get gender counseling and therapy to address my transsexuality. At long last I was set to begin HRT, but on the very day I was to start, a phone call from my primary care physician indicated that I had cancer. 9 years later I am cancer-free after several bouts. But I am almost 60 (May 4, 1959) and in the recent years my body image has gone from bad to worse. My wife and son were incredible supports during my illness and I don't want to disrupt their lives any more than I have I'm not sure what to do. Do I just resign myself to unfortunate fate, or do I move forward?

Thanks for reading, and thanks for responding if you care to do so, ❤️

MaryEllen

Hello Stephani,

You're never too old. The only time you'll be too old is when you're on a marble slab wearing a toe tag. :D Whether you move forward or not is up to you. Have you counseled with a gender therapist?  If not, you should consider doing so. He or she could help you make that decision.

MaryEllen

VickySGV

I was sixty one when I began my transition and a week after my 65th belly-button Birthday had my GCS.  I am approaching 71 and 6 years post-op.  Age should not be a block to trip over, and you do not have to go as far as I have to be REAL.  As to your family, they wanted to keep you alive to be happy before, and other than what you wear or  how you do your hair, and possibly who you hang out with most often, you are still the same person, just happier and better able to enjoy the life you have back.  If your family supported you before, the chance is that they will still do it, even if it takes a bit to get used to it.  I do agree with MaryEllen that getting to a therapist that knows about Gender Dysphoria is your immediate course of action. 

PS:  I keep getting taken for years and years younger than I really am, so that is a benefit.

Susan R

Hi Stephani, I hope I'm not too old as there isn't anything stopping me at this point.  I'm 56 so I had the same question about age as you, a year ago.  I was told in therapy that the journey is as important and the result.  That has been so true for me.  I already feel much better about myself and my future than I did just a year ago.

Susan R🌷

Carolyn Marie

Stephani, let me first congratulate you on being cancer-free.  That is wonderful to hear.  I agree with everyone else that age should not keep you from being happy, and if transitioning will make you happy, then you should do it.  I started my journey at 55 years young, and was legally female at 57.  I've been happy ever since.

You only live once, my dear.  Do what you need to do.

Carolyn Marie

Stephi

Ladies, I really appreciate your feedback and am really inspired by your courage to reclaim your destiny. I will weigh your words very seriously and resolve to find my ultimate freedom. I mean it when I say I love you. 💕 

jeffi

Hi, Stephani, I understand with what you had gone through and it is wonderful that you have an understanding and supportive family. I had not had the support from my family, but when I discussed my transition and pending HRT, I brought my wife to the Endo and therapist. That was when I was 67. For the first year I was on low dose of HRT, to ease my body into what was to come, since I had cardiac and diabetic issues, but now at age 69, my dosages have been increased, and the physical changes have become more apparent, I have lost a good amount of weight and muscle, so my "figure" is more feminine, and I feel more secure about myself than I have in the last 55 years. My wife and family are still very supportive. If I could not be placed on HRT, I would resolve my self to cross dress, but I am glad I have an understanding and resourceful Endo. 

BrandiBri

Hi Stephani, I was 69 when I began to transition. I am now 71 (as of yesterday!) and am just now looking into the medical steps to bring my body into the way it should have been all along. I have been on hrt for 18 months, but now I want more. 

On 11/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, MaryEllen said:

The only time you'll be too old is when you're on a marble slab wearing a toe tag. :D

:agreed:

StrainAsylum

Stephani (that's my birth name - and still legal name, though I'm starting to go by Scott), I too waited until I thought I was too old.  I didn't even realize that I was a transman until I was in my late 50s and, at 60, am JUST starting the process.  I read a lot online and got excited and determined when I read that the oldest to surgically transition was 86 (and still kicking).

I have my first appointment with my gender therapist next week and am so excited!  I don't know if he can prescribe T or if I have to go to an endocrinologist, but we'll see.

Congrats on being cancer free!  Now start building the life that YOU want and don't let other people decide who and what you are.  That's how I ended up waiting so long. 

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   10 Members, 0 Anonymous, 108 Guests (See full list)

• Cyndee
    • Shay
    • MaryMary
    • DeeDee
    • Alexx21
    • Katharina
    • Ryan
    • Rami
    • Tessa
    • Emily michelle
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

cybreraphael
    Newest Member
    cybreraphael

1. Dev
      Dev
    2. Katharina
      Katharina
      (39 years old)
    3. Nusta
      Nusta
      (16 years old)
    4. thtufus
      thtufus
      (70 years old)
    • Shay
      omg i would have done ANYTHING to have been able to go to the Fillmore East (or West) . could you describe how it felt to go there and what it was like inside?
    • Cyndee
      @Susan R It was one of not believing, discounting, and deferring. Yet she would indulge me by making me a nurses outfit, white dress, white hat for Halloween one year. I came out to my Mom essentially 3 times in life, once at 8, again at 22, and finally at 51, the last being the most meaningful.
    • KayC
      You and me both, Sara!   That was my impression from your previous post, Emily.  So many are clueless (even I was until recently ... and I'm Trans! hah!).    Hoping the best for both of you ... well, all of us❣️
    • Tessa
    • Cyndee
      I am happy to see so many music topics here lately on our forums Music is a universal language, and brings people together.     Growing up we had an old, i mean really old upright piano in our home, that I used bang on, I began to become interested in how the notes worked together, and taught myself some basic songs. I started playing guitar at 10, using my Mom's nylon string folk guitar she used in her teaching. Turns out I'm a lefty, and turned her guitar around the way that was most comfortable for me. Needless to say none of the chord fingering charts she had worked for me, so I had to improvise my fingering. Later I would become interested in the Bass Guitar and bought my first brand new 1978 Fender P (still have it) and practiced in my basement before joining my first band. I've always had a day job, but was able to supplement my income playing in working bands here in the Seattle area since the mid 80's as a bass guitarist. Even had the opportunities to open for national touring acts. I transitioned while in this one working cover band, and playing gigs as my true self was simply wonderful. The experience that saw my realization of a dream to be "a girl in the band". Nothing felt better then hearing someone yell out at this one gig "That lady bass player rocks !"......   Cyndee
    • Sally Stone
      Acknowledging how much the pandemic has changed my habits.  The stores here in NJ are open once again, and still, I haven't been shopping.  Before the lockdown one of my fondest activities to shop, yet now, it seems to have lost some that previous luster.  The upside is that my my Macy's charge card has a zero balance, something else that is quite unusual for me.   I'm thinking a little shopping trip for me is well overdue!
    • KayC
      Hi Raphael!  nice to meet you, and thank you for your introduction.   I had already replied to your post on Therapy before I saw this introduction post.  But, just wanted to let you know you found a great place to reach out for support and also share (as you now already know). So, just wanted to take an opportunity to say Welcome❣️
    • Charlize
      i won't forget how the Beatles changed the whole music scene.  I loved them and as their music changed i grew to respect them more and more.  At bit later i listened to the Stones and other groups.  I vividly remember moments of a Janice Joplin concert at the Fillmore East.  A bit later i was at a free Grateful Dead concert in a park in Atlanta.  The band came out and played after a regular concert. The folks in the sound truck threw marshmellows to folks as they came in.  Eating several of those made the night and the music merge. Ahh the 60's   Hugs,   Charlize
    • KayC
      Hi cybreraphael!  Sorry to hear about your experiences with therapists.  I do think not being judged (or appearing to be judged) would be an essential requirement for me to trust and communicate with my therapist. I am actually waiting (hopefully this week) for my very first (ever) therapy session, so I have not even met my therapist yet.  I was given an opportunity for my first choice of available therapists and I did chose the one (woman) who is part of the LGBTQ+ community and had the most experience in this area.  Another important criteria, as you have also requested.   I will try to follow up on this thread and let you know how it goes after my first few sessions.   I think you have some other good suggestions and experiences here from @tracy_j and @SaraAW --  I think eventually you will find the right match.  So, don't give up❣️  
    • Alexx21
      Good Morning / afternoon / evening  everyone i hope you are all well and good  i just looking around the forum and saw this  thread  that i caught my eye  and i though id  say hi to everyone and see how you are all doing  ? i havent been around very much of late  and i would like to  be around the forum more than what i have been i hope where ever you all are that you are safe and good  A
    • Sally Stone
      Wow, so many choices, but if I had to put one band at the top of my list is has to be Pink Floyd.  Their progressive style has always moved me and has made progressive rock my favorite genre.     A shout out to you though cybreraphael for mentioning 10 Years;  I really like them a lot.  They are one of my favorite modern bands, and I think it is because of their progressive underpinnings.
    • KathyLauren
      I like playing music, but I am not a musician.  I can learn the notes, the rhythms, the expression, whatever is written in the music or heard on a recording.  But I can't compose anything or improvise my way out of a wet paper bag.  I was playing in a band one time, a paying gig, and and one of my band mates yelled, "Take it away, <deadname>!"  I nearly died.  I didn't "take it away".  I just kept on playing the song the way it was written.  Afterwards, I told him, "Don't ever do that to me again!"   My mother tried to teach me piano when I was a kid.  That was a fail.  In high school, I played clarinet in the school concert band, and I kept it up in a military band when I was in the air force.  (Sneaky trick that: the base band counted as a "secondary duty", and got me out of other nasty secondary duties like being base garbage officer.)  taught myself a few guitar chords, and I learned to play the hammered dulcimer.  I recorded a CD of hammered dulcimer music, which sold about two copies.    Currently, I play tenor sax in a community concert band.  I took a break for my surgery, but they then cancelled the rest of the season due to covid-19.
    • SaraAW
      Welcome @cybreraphael! Thanks for sharing a part of story.
    • SaraAW
      Always wonderful to have a rock. Especially as you adjust to HRT and the expanded range of emotions.    I understand the need for a bra. HRT has had definitely made it very obvious if I wear just a shirt without one. Also understand the comfort and affirmation that wearing one brings.    I don’t recall ever being as happy as I am since I took charge of my life and started working on my transition. There is also no way I’m going back in the closet.    I’m hoping my wife comes around too. It’s clear in everything unrelated to my transition, that she loves me. She also didn’t decide to try and kick me out or leave herself when I came out, so that’s at least a sign she still cares.     
    • SaraAW
      I have some good success with my therapist. She has told me to do anything. She asks me lots of questions to get me to think and look into myself for the answers, she gives me tools to work on for resilience and coping, but never tells me I have to use them, just here are some tools and tricks, try them if you want. If I do and they don’t work she provides me with different ones to try.  I feel in a way, I lead my sessions, she just provides some guidance to help me get where I want to go. I decide what we talk about each session, if I’m stuck, she throws a bunch of suggestions out, based on previous sessions and let’s me decide.    If after a couple sessions, you don’t feel a rapport building, I don’t see why you shouldn’t move on. We don’t click with everyone we meet, why should it be any different with a therapist. I got lucky with my therapist, found her on the first try, but I have changed GPs many times over the years, to make sure I had one I could be fully open with and that they seemed to truly care about my well being.  
  • Upcoming Events