• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Start Electrolysis Tomorrow

Guest Soph

Guest Soph

Yeah, I start electrolysis tomorrow. I know it hurts, but I don't know how much it hurts. I know that it varies based on pain tolerance, but in general, how bearable is it? I've read that painkillers are sometimes used too... is that really necessary?

Mostly I just want people to know I start electrolysis :P. I'd talk to my friends, but they'd probably get uncomfortable, and the one would probably call me a Sweetie >_<

Guest julia_d

It depends on your pain threshold.. honest.

Just go and find out.. a little pain is quite good.. I actually like a bit of pain.. makes me think I'm getting something for my money (yeah.. I'm a bit strange)

Hope you are going to a proper place not just a back street beauty salon.. check they know what they are doing.

It depends on your threshold of pain and how good the operator is - like everything else the skill of the operator makes a huge difference.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

Soph......

Don't worry too much, Hon....

Do like I do, take some Advil before the appointment and during the process chat with the eletrologist as that makes the time go faster and iit takes your mind off of what's happening...It's not really THAT bad anyway....

AND...think about why you're there in the first place...where you're going and what you are getting accomplished...

You'll be just fine, Sweetheart!

Come back later and tell us all about it......OK?

HUGG

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

No problem - hurts but after a few zaps it gets okay - i take two Aleve beforehand. The therapist will up or lower the power until you can tolerate it. And to tell the truth? Imagine each zap is one less whisker you will ever have to shave, or one less stray eyebrow hair you will ever have to tweeze. It is okay - and I just doubled my appointment t6imes from one hour to two, to get this thing GOING toward completion.

You wil be fine!

Lizzy

Guest Soph

Just got back from my first session.

I hadn't taken any painkillers beforehand, I guess to gauge how much it would hurt normally.

The first few were bad, but from then on it was mostly tolerable. However, I was really tense the whole time, and after the session (30 minutes, is this shorter than normal?) I was shaking.

However, it must have gotten my endorphins flowing, because I was really giddy afterward.

The electrologist was a really nice lady. We kept up a conversation most of the time, and afterwards said to me that it really didn't matter to her that I was transgender (I had prefaced the appointment with saying that I was transgender, I guess I have a fear that others won't accept me). And it was relatively inexpensive (at least, from what I've gathered online) at 35$ for 30 minutes.

Overall, it was a really good experience. I have another session on monday (I think I'll last 45 minutes next time :D), and I'm (sort of :P) looking forward to it.

Guest Donna Jean
Just got back from my first session.

I hadn't taken any painkillers beforehand, I guess to gauge how much it would hurt normally.

The first few were bad, but from then on it was mostly tolerable. However, I was really tense the whole time, and after the session (30 minutes, is this shorter than normal?) I was shaking.

However, it must have gotten my endorphins flowing, because I was really giddy afterward.

The electrologist was a really nice lady. We kept up a conversation most of the time, and afterwards said to me that it really didn't matter to her that I was transgender (I had prefaced the appointment with saying that I was transgender, I guess I have a fear that others won't accept me). And it was relatively inexpensive (at least, from what I've gathered online) at 35$ for 30 minutes.

Overall, it was a really good experience. I have another session on monday (I think I'll last 45 minutes next time :D), and I'm (sort of :P) looking forward to it.

Alright! You didn't die!.....lol...

Good for you, Honey!

And no pain killers, well, now you know what the very worst is it's all downhill from there!

I don't think that 30 minutes is a normal time...as I think most do 1 hour and up.....I do 1 1/2 hours and Lizzy is doing 2 hours on her next trip....I guess that as long as you are laying there you should get as much done as possible! But that's just my thoughts! My sessions run $45 per hour...but, of course I'm out in the sticks and they work on me when thery're not working on the cows!!!

I didn't tell my electrogologist until my second trip that I was Transgendered, but I think that she knew already! No problem...AND I sent her a Thank You card after the second session...self preservation, I guess....lol

So, good for you, Girlfriend! Way to go!

I look forward to mine all of the time now....I'm getting something accomplished, there's good company to talk to, and I have a long plesant drive (50 miles)....

Congradulations, Soph......

{{{{BIGG HUGG}}}}}

Donna Jean

Congratulations,

I don't think that you should try to go by anyone else's length of sessions, do what is comfortable for you and just go more often if neccessary, it all works out the same, but we are all different.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Soph

Just updating, since its been a bit.

I was supposed to have a session last monday, but I slept through it (phone alarms aren't all that reliable >_<)

So I rescheduled and just had my second session today. I tried taking some pain relievers, and it seemed to help with the pain--that or the fact that we talked almost the whole time :D

Shes a great lady, offered to do my eyebrows for free any time.

I would have been able to last an hour or more except my sister started complaining about how long it was taking.

I really am looking forward to my next session (Tuesday) now. Like Donna Jean said, its good company to talk to. I'll be going right from there to my therapy (all the way in Pittsburgh >_<. 3.5 hour drive is a killer). I think I will be all transed out that day :P

Guest Donna Jean
Just updating, since its been a bit.

I really am looking forward to my next session (Tuesday) now. Like Donna Jean said, its good company to talk to. I'll be going right from there to my therapy (all the way in Pittsburgh >_<. 3.5 hour drive is a killer). I think I will be all transed out that day :P

Good for you, Sweetie!

See, didn't I tell you? If you can chat while you're doing it goes faster and hurts less....

And you go to Pitts for therapy? Heck I'm on the Ohio side of Pitts....

Maybe someday we can meet and have coffee at a sidewalk cafe like Lizzy says!..Girlfriends!

I'm so happy for you!

HUGG

Donna Jean!