• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Earth Mama

Question: 2.5 daughter keeps saying she’s a boy

Earth Mama

Hello! I have a question. My 2.5 year old daughter has been saying on and off  for 5 months that she’s a Boy. It seemed to stop for a couple months, but over the last few weeks it has come back up again. There have been times since this began where she has said I’m a girl, but maybe once or twice. She always prefers to be the male character from stories or movies as well, but also likes to be Elsa from frozen. My husband and I don’t make a big deal out of this behavior at all and just let her be what she wants to be, but I’m just wondering if these are early signs of her possibly being transgender.

Yesterday she said she didn’t want to wear a skirt or a dress because “she’s not a girl”, but yet she always wants to wear bows in her hair and wear lipstick. I’m just feeling confused and not sure if I just go on with the way we have been addressing it by just acting like it’s nothing or if we should be taking other steps. 

I appreciate any feedback as I’m a first time mom and not sure if this could be considered normal child behavior ❤️

MaryEllen

Hello Earth Mama,

Welcome to TransPulse. You are doing the right thing in letting her be what she wants to be. This could be signs that she is transgender or it could be just a phase. As she grows older, it'll be obvious one way or the other. Many little girls are tom boys and later grow into girly girls. Just let her be what she wants to be. To force her to do otherwise could lead to problems later on.

MaryEllen

VickySGV

The therapy community today is seeing more and more of a group of children they refer to as Gender Creative or Gender Adventurous at the age of your child.  The most recent findings are that by age 3.5 most children are pretty solidly sure what their preferred gender is, but even there the children allowed to expand and cross over gender lines with family and social acceptance are going to be happiest and also be some of the brightest young people there are.  Although not a therapist myself, I have given training to several day care centers, and the best course seems to be LET THE CHILD TELL YOU, and BELIEVE THEM now in the present.  Trying to manipulate them into one gender or another, even lovingly, and with real concern can become a form of bullying.  The other thing is to hold your own head high with your decision to let your child be their own self and don't let other people try to bully you into forcing your child to pick one gender or the other.   You are being a good parent, you really are. 

RithiaAllen

I agree with Mary Ellen. It's too early to tell. I'm glad you're open to the possibility so your child can grow up without having to worry one way or another. The fact that you are supportive now I think will enable your child to grow up happy whatever direction that may be when your child is a little older.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 87 Guests (See full list)

• Jodie Anderson
    • Cheyenne skye
    • Amberlea
    • AKA
    • Ellora
  • Who Was Online

110 Users were Online in the Last 48 Hours
    • Jodie Anderson
    • Cheyenne skye
    • AKA
    • Amberlea
    • Ellora
    • Carolyn Marie
    • Janeshannon
    • Alex C
    • Blair
    • Leo
    • Sandra6sandy9sand
    • NoNamePlease
    • KymmieL
    • ToniTone
    • Dev
    • Willa
    • MaryMary
    • michelle_kitten
    • Josie Beth
    • VickySGV
    • Astrid
    • Alixander
    • SaraAW
    • CharlotteVictoria
    • Topher
    • Kelva
    • MaryEllen
    • Amber Marie
    • Stevi
    • Jani
    • Laura Beth
    • Alaa
    • Kirsten
    • nitehwk
    • Susan R
    • EvanC
    • DeeDee
    • Amy LeBlanc
    • SugarMagnolia
    • reyindium
    • emoblitz00
    • DevilDog
    • Jocelyn
    • Kris-Boston
    • FrankyForNow
    • anna's mom
    • jo_g
    • sara albert
    • Petra Jane
    • MsLindaV
    • sophiegg
    • JuanMenendez813
    • Zoey
    • Carly Hughes
    • Bobbyd
    • Susan
    • Snow Princess Sophie
    • Maid In Bedlam
    • Alastair
    • Taja
    • Candymine
    • tapeleg42
    • Jackson Max
    • gaypricot
    • Clara84
    • Sadly Samuel
    • xDJx
    • Kate king
    • Cyndee
    • jae bear
    • AsTheCrow
    • Robin
    • Charlize
    • Timber Wolf
    • Tessa
    • Katy Ann
    • Rachael
    • CynthiaJames
    • CaraMC
    • Ronin82
    • tracy_j
    • Janae
    • Mackenzie Holiday
    • Arya
    • Anslee_24
    • Fish(i just want answers)
    • Cindy Truheart
    • figuringitout
    • Willow
    • galayogeda
    • Nichole Spencer
    • LotsOQs026
    • Ted
    • Lorry
    • paige_40s
    • Lexa83
    • Michelle F
    • Sandra's journey
    • gracey01
    • Wrightful
    • Mybuttlost
    • Dani1
    • Ashlee
    • killjoyaiden
    • Kole Rickard
    • Jennaroxie
    • Elyssia
    • Spyke01
    • lauraincolumbia
    • Yamel
  • Topics With Zero Replies

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Alixander
    Newest Member
    Alixander

1. Chrystopher
      Chrystopher
      (23 years old)
    2. Elias
      Elias
    3. SighDraws
      SighDraws
      (26 years old)
    4. Taja
      Taja
      (42 years old)
    • Ellora
      You can still use Alex, and the longer version could be Alexandria, or even Alexa.  At the moment I have been using just the letter ‘V’ when I go to doctors appointments. I started that not too long ago since I was going to different doctors offices and I’m not “out” at the moment. I could use the feminine version of my name, and probably will after my Orchie. I started using Ellora, 1 when I wanted to use a different name all together and 2 it just flowed off my tongue when I said it. It was after I bought the movie Willow not to long ago. BUT, last week, the name Zoey Really made me feel giddy when I thought of using that name 😊!  I love it now when people use the feminine pronouns, but I understand it will take a bit, especially if I’m in boy clothes and no makeup.    Do do what makes you feel good. Do this for yourself and not others. Sounds like your friends and fam are comfortable with what you want, and they are polite by asking. So since they are asking, then tell the, what you like. Nobody will know what you prefer, unless you tell them. Best of luck Alex! 
    • Cheyenne skye
      One thing I would like to mention for anyone getting their first mammogram.  We may now have breasts, but they are also usually considered to be more dense tissue than most cis-women.  That is not cause for alarm, in and of itself,  it just may make it a bit harder for the doctor to make a decisive conclusion about the health of your breasts.
    • Cheyenne skye
      Besides diet and exercise, you could also try shapewear.  Or to the more extreme, an hourglass shape could be achieved with corset training.
    • Ellora
      Hi! Interesting. I have lost some weight, and a little weight distribution. I’m a little over the 2 and a half mark on my HRT, and haven’t had any breast soreness yet, but I’ve notice some breast shape happening and my nipple area is up to something. I’m having my Orchie just before my three month mark, so it should be interesting how my Doctor changes my Lady Meds. I’m on a low dosage of E and T🚫 atm, and I hope she will increase the E and anything else that might help 😊  I’m planing on increasing my glute work out after I fully heal from my Orchie, in hopes I can benefit from the HRT to help with a womanly figure. I really want to increase my hip and glutes. I would be happy with a C cup, or at least some breast that bounce a little. 😉. But I don’t need large breasts, just enough. I remember that my mom had nice breasts, so if that plays into it, I should be ok. 
    • Carolyn Marie
      If this policy is not blocked by the courts, the result will be more trans women murdered and assaulted.  If homeless trans folk cannot find shelter in an appropriate place, they will either live on the street, or seek housing in men's shelters, where they will be preyed upon.  But hey, trans folk are unimportant to this administration, so if more of us die, its no sweat off their backs.     Carolyn Marie  
    • Ellora
      TOns of nostalgia for sure! It’s funny how I can remember back to those days and what I was doing back then, who I was hanging with while I was playing. I started out PvP, but that’s cause the girl I was seeing at the time, played wow, and she is the one that got me to start. I don’t like pvp that much, cause I don’t enjoy getting ganked while I’m questing. It was kinda fun at Wintergrasp, and some battlegrounds. But it sucks questing alone. As for PvE, I don’t mind questing alone, but I do miss the Raids. My guild doesn’t have as many people as we used to, and I haven’t Raided with my old group forever. The new Characters are fun tho. Allied Races are a bit op at times, but I love it. Tell me if you ever start up again! We could quest together, and I could run you though some dungeons. 😊 
    • Alex C
      Hugs K 
    • Alex C
      thanks girls...very interesting observation 
    • Blair
      Hahah indeed ^ . ^ Cool though! Glad to have started when it came out as I really liked BC...though that could just be nostalgia talking 😄 Had a pretty cool soundtrack though that is for sure.
    • Josie Beth
      What really irritated me in a companion article was that he endorsed people with very slanderous views about lgbtq people. Including the one who compared the community to isis! Really? I’m sorry but I don’t see any lgbtq people driving around in US supplied tanks and armored vehicles going town to town and beheading people for disagreeing with them, or just for kicks. I don’t see any of us strapping bombs to ourselves and blowing up outdoor markets. I don’t see any of us demanding shariah law (well maybe a few odd cases but those are individuals) so it’s not a community platform. Maybe we can be seen as subversive to some who really think that we are a threat to how they choose to live but it’s really a delusion. The only thing I’ve seen at the core of the issue is the desire to be free and those who choose to impede that freedom. I really don’t think isis shares that point of view. To them freedom is one sided. Perhaps these idiots should look in the mirror and see how close they are in ideology to the middle eastern boogie man?
    • VickySGV
      The problem with impeachment is that the Senate is the jury that needs to convict him of the offenses, and we know that with McConnell in there, that will not happen, in fact McConnell can even refuse to have the matter heard there so impeachment will be hollow and ineffective.  Presenting the evidence during the campaign next year will hopefully make even Trumps devotees wake up and at least not vote for him. 
    • Astrid
      As Kirsten mentioned, a name of She will create attention toward you...for a variety of reasons.  Even non-judgmental folks may react with a bit of confusion.  And most folks, I suspect, would require an explanation first that you're using She as a proper name and not just a pronoun, before adjusting thereafter.  In other words, if you have a desire to "stop all the questions," an unusual name like that will not stop them.   Best of luck!   Astrid
    • Jani
      Great news Kirsten!  Did you think you'd be here one year ago???   Jani
    • CharlotteVictoria
      Weights? Like Dumbells and such :o? If so, what size (i have access to i think..they're 10lbs at the moment. Will those suffice?)?? I've done forward lunges before, but i tend to lose my balance and feel a strain in my feet, so i was never sure if i was doing them right, do you have any tips ;^_^? Don't want to get half way down and then go ALL the way down flat on my ass, you know xD? Resistance bands i do have. I have the "Spri" ones that are kinda like...wide and rectangular, do those work? 2 tbsp, got it! Thank you!!!! Ah, i did forget that. I heard about and witnessed the risk of mental instability when it came to hrt...which scares me....a lot...it wouldn't be an over-exaggeration to say i'm petrified of the idea...anything that can be done in that department? Classic saying, that. Which you're very right about xD! ? Off topic: Any idea how to edit posts? wanted to change something in my original one ;^_^...
    • Ellora
      I started around BC too. it isssss really addicting 😝
  • Upcoming Events