• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Shaving legs

JillAnne

I have that exact same model - I used it for touch-up after I got the laser treatment.  It works by burning the follicles, so it definitely leaves my skin pretty raw.

If you have AD, I'd talk to your dermatologist about what they think of that device specifically for you?  Those actually don't look like my ingrown hairs, but IANAD!  And it's hard to tell from a pic on the Internet. 

@Brie I didn't look through the original thread to see if anyone already mentioned this, but I think when shaving long hair (like, longer than a few centimeters) it's best to first shave in the direction of growth, and then you can go back and shave in the opposite direction to get a clean look. That's the only way I know of to avoid ingrown hairs. I've never used one of those laser-removal devices, so I'm not sure why it would be happening with that--maybe you need to wet the skin/hair first?

@GothicLucas Yeah I'm familiar with the process, these bumps/ingrownhairs just came up after the last time I used the Silken device. It's the first time I've had this kind of reaction on my hands. The cream I'm using is a steroid and it seems to be settling them down. I just hope it's not going to happen every time I do my hands. I hate hairy man paws :(

20 minutes ago, Brie said:

@GothicLucas Yeah I'm familiar with the process, these bumps/ingrownhairs just came up after the last time I used the Silken device. It's the first time I've had this kind of reaction on my hands. The cream I'm using is a steroid and it seems to be settling them down. I just hope it's not going to happen every time I do my hands. I hate hairy man paws :(

Any bump under your skin i a sign of an infection (either caused by bacteria or ingrown hair).  Steroid are reducing the swelling, but do not cure the infection.  You better find a different method to remove the hair in those areas, to prevent some ugly future skin discoloration or forming of scar tissue!

Thankfully, I have less body hair than most women, especially after the start of HRT. I get sparse hair under my armpits and some on my face, but that's about it as far as needing to shave. I clean up fine stray hairs on my legs during the shorts and swimsuit season. I have no body or arm hair to speak of. I have some hair in the genital area, and I've been removing that since my teens. Most of that will be removed permanently by electrolysis before surgery.  

• 1 month later...

I'm on my way to being a hairy man beast lol but I used to shave under my arms every 3 days and my legs every sunday.

On a slightly different note, The first time I shaved my legs was lovely and felt good. The thing I hadn’t expected is why feeling came later. I swear I saw my legs in the mirror about 2 or 3 hours later when going to bed and actually saw MY legs for the first time in 30 years!  In bed I could feel the sheets and again had never known such a lovely feeling. I keep them shaved now and continue to see my legs, having realised I don’t think I’ve actually recognised my previously hairy legs as belonging to me. Don’t know if this is common but felt so weird but at the same time liberating. Love my smooth legs now. Oh am I mostly wax them (with the odd top up shave now and then) as I don’t seem to get any ingrown hair issues this way. Love to all. Lucy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been using a Braun Silk-épil 9 for years now. I do not like hair on my body, except for my long hair on my hear. I shave my underarms and use one of those thin electric shavers on bikini areas.