• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is it to late to get HRT

Lorry

Hello everyone

I just came to terms with myself and decided I want to come out then start moving forward. But im close to 30 and not sure if the effects of HRT would be able to feminise me enough to pass as female. I'm 5'11 and 185 lbs with little fat and mostly muscles, I'm fairly wide shouldered as well. 

I think my fear is that I start HRT and never change enough to be comfortable in my own body, so why even start?

I'm not on HRT and am 35 yrs old. I felt the same way until I got myself a nice wig and started wearing feminine clothing that a 35 year old would typically wear. Tried a light amount of makeup and realized that even without HRT, I'm close to nearly passing. I get good compliments from my trans friends I've made from the support groups I'm in. I'm 220lbs and 5'11" and really happy with the results. Looking forward to losing 50 lbs and hopefully starting HRT someday.

I think you can do this too.

• Forum Moderator

Hello Lorry,  it's a pleasure to meet you.  As for you being to old for HRT the short answer is "no".  You'll likely need some therapy sessions under your belt with a letter that will enable you to start HRT.  Your HCP will also need to run some tests to make sure you're healthy enough to start too. But as far as age, you're fine.  I'm 56 and I just started HRT this September.

As far as passing as female, HRT plays almost an insignificant role physically. Yes, you'll likely grow breasts but that is only a small part of passing and breasts forms could be used just as easily to help pass as femaile.  At 30, most if your bone structure is complete in the sense of forming so HRT will have little impact, if any, in that area. It will after many months and years help with softening your hardline facial festures.

Passing is more about confidence, attitude, presentation, how you walk, talk, along with a fair amount of physical appearance of your face, hair, body hair, nails, jewelry  and clothing.  I probably left out a few things but you get the idea.  Your therapist will help with some of the mental aspects and the rest takes time and patience.

Bottom line...if you want to become the person you are and that person is female then you are not even close to being too old.

Best of Luck,

Susan R?

Hello Lorry!

not at all as Susan mentioned! I am 28 and only started hormones in August. Finding a therapist would be an awesome idea as I echo Susan with that. Everything she illustrated will help! You’d be surprised at the appearance of yourself in good makeup and clothing. Makes a world of difference! Do it with confidence!

Kylie ❤️

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

Hello everyone

I just came to terms with myself and decided I want to come out then start moving forward. But im close to 30 and not sure if the effects of HRT would be able to feminise me enough to pass as female. I'm 5'11 and 185 lbs with little fat and mostly muscles, I'm fairly wide shouldered as well. 

I think my fear is that I start HRT and never change enough to be comfortable in my own body, so why even start?

I transitioned at 28 and the HRT didn't have any issues for me.

HRT won't help the bone structure but wide shoulders are not the end of the world.

I’m 40 and I think hrt has done a good bit for me. There are members much older than I here that pass just fine as well. Passing is 90% attitude and self acceptance. 10% looks. 

2 hours ago, Lorry said:

Hello everyone

Hello Lorry

I am 37 years old and I am on HRT.  It wont change bone structure but help make you feel better and skin softer and even grow breast.

Lots of Love

Amy

• Admin

Darn bunch of youngsters up there, what do those kids know??   (LOL) 

I did not get onto my HRT until I was 61, and while it did not fully undo some damage I had done to myself with some alcohol, I am generally happy with how I look now, nearly 10 years later and living full tile since 18 months after I started the HRT.  You may not get a Barbie Doll figure and breasts, but you will get a feminine shape, and even better a feminine attitude that makes up for some of the other stuff.  Do not listen to the BLATANT LIE that you have to start with puberty blockers as a pre-teen in order to look nicely feminine.  Women come is so many shapes, sizes and whatever else that you can find one for you. . 

• Forum Moderator

You ask "Is it too late to get HRT?"  One answer, it will be too late when you're dead.  Until then, its never too late!  Because its never too late to be the person you want to be, and to be happy.   Like Vicky I started at 61 and I've done well thank you.  Enough said!

How much of your wide shoulders are muscle?  Unless you work to keep it your muscles will decrease on estrogen.  Plus as my friends have alluded to, there are many wide shouldered, big bones, etc. women in the world.  Take a look around you, you'll see very few Twiggy's now a days!  

Connect with a gender therapist to get started and to get your head in a good place about transitioning.  

Cheers, Jani

It really feels great knowing there are people out there who so quickly respond to someone's cry for help like this. All of the advice you all have given and words of encouragement mean a lot right now. 

Like others have said it’s not to late I started just 16 months ago. Oh my age 58. There have been physical changes but the mental changes were worth the effort. I know I will not look like a twenty year old but I am happy with the changes so far. 

Go for it, age does not matter as much as you think. 

Best wishes on your journey. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 99 Guests (See full list)

• April Marie
    • Adrianna Danielle
    • KathyLauren
    • Ashley0616
    • MaryEllen
    • Ivy